The Student Room Group

Do people include General Studies when stating their A level results?

Most people applying to the most prestigious Universities have four A levels but do these include subjects such as General Studies and Critical Thinking.

Scroll to see replies

Most uni's don't count general studies or critical thinking as proper A levels they're just seen as an extra
Reply 2
Original post by jake46464646
Most people applying to the most prestigious Universities have four A levels but do these include subjects such as General Studies and Critical Thinking.

Depends on what grade you achieved in that subject.

If it's a B or higher go for it!

Most prestigious universities don't even look at those two subjects for several reasons.

I donut it makes any significant difference.
Reply 3
They have to be included

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Aph
They have to be included

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they don't. General Studies and Critical Thinking aren't accepted by most universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Revel
No they don't. General Studies and Critical Thinking aren't accepted by most universities.

But you have to include all qualifications whether accepted ir not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Aph
But you have to include all qualifications whether accepted ir not

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you do not.
Reply 7
Original post by Revel
No you do not.

You do?! Like you cant just mss out an embracing grade at GCSE. you could lose your place for doing so. Irs not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was under the impression that all qualifications (unless they were a U grade) had to be declared on UCAS - even General Studies or Critical Thinking - whether or not universities considered them. But I could be wrong.
Sadly I got a U in general studies. It makes me so upset
Reply 10
Original post by LeFailFish
I was under the impression that all qualifications (unless they were a U grade) had to be declared on UCAS - even General Studies or Critical Thinking - whether or not universities considered them. But I could be wrong.

I thought you had to declare Us too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Aph
You do?! Like you cant just mss out an embracing grade at GCSE. you could lose your place for doing so. Irs not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't declare my GCSE grade D in English Literature/Human Health & Physiology. Nobody knew, and I got all five offers. Unless it's a required subject/qualification, I was always told that you can choose which qualifications to put down, and I stand by it.
Reply 12
Original post by Revel
I didn't declare my GCSE grade D in English Literature/Human Health & Physiology. Nobody knew, and I got all five offers. Unless it's a required subject/qualification, I was always told that you can choose which qualifications to put down, and I stand by it.

Maybe thry didn't find out. But honestly its not worth tge risk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Revel

That's strange - especially because a GCSE in English Literature is mandatory for the majority of universities.
Reply 14
That's strange - especially because a GCSE in English Literature is mandatory for the majority of universities.

No English language is mandatory not lit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

I think you're getting English Lit mixed up with English Lang/Maths..

It's usually English Language that's required
Original post by Aph
No English language is mandatory not lit

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would make sense!
According to UCAS:

'You must enter all qualifications you have a result for, including any which were ungraded'

But to answer the original question, the most prestigious universities don't accept General Studies or Critical Thinking as part of your main A-Levels.
Original post by Revel

You do realise that if the university finds out, they have the right to kick you out? It's clearly stated by UCAS that all qualifications must be declared.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply