The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Is Leicester really a top 20 university as they claim?

I would say probably not. The Russell Group, Bath and St Andrews have a better case, generally speaking. Leicester may well join that league at some point, however.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In the Complete University Guide they are #19, previously #16.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

In the Sunday Times Rankings they are #14. Previously #17.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/University_Guide/

icu.org has Leicester at #16.
http://www.4icu.org/gb/

In the Guardian rankings they are #21 which is close, previously they were #13.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

On FindTheBest.co.uk they are #22 which is close.
http://universities.findthebest.co.uk/

So I'd say they still deserve that claim. In most world rankings I've seen they are much higher than Bath in fact.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cork279
In the Complete University Guide they are #19, previously #16.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

In the Sunday Times Rankings they are #14. Previously #17.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/University_Guide/

icu.org has Leicester at #16.
http://www.4icu.org/gb/

In the Guardian rankings they are #21 which is close, previously they were #13.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

On FindTheBest.co.uk they are #22 which is close.
http://universities.findthebest.co.uk/

So I'd say they still deserve that claim. In most world rankings I've seen they are much higher than Bath in fact.

But in the QS world rankings Leicester is ranked 202? Bath is at 187?

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

I'm not convinced, regardless of what media league tables say. Russell Group membership, tradition, and reputation wise I would place Leicester outside the top 25, maybe top 30 is the right position. Russell Group universities are considered the best, as well as St Andrews and Bath. That is just the way it is. Leicester may well come on board.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

I'm not convinced, regardless of what media league tables say. Russell Group membership, tradition, and reputation wise I would place Leicester outside the top 25, maybe top 30 is the right position. Russell Group universities are considered the best, as well as St Andrews and Bath. That is just the way it is. Leicester may well come on board.

Why does Russell Group status make them the best in the country. So much fail in believing that Russell Group=all the best universities.
Reply 4
Original post by SirMasterKey
Why does Russell Group status make them the best in the country. So much fail in believing that Russell Group=all the best universities.

Because that is just how it is. Russell Group is seen as the Premier League of UK universities. Those invited into the group must pass rigorous measures of competency in research across a wide range of subjects. They are the best research intensive universities, and contribute the most to the economy. They also have the most influence on the Government on shaping the future of higher education. Bath, St Andrews, and possibly Leicester, are notable absentees.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mansun

I was looking at the THE rankings mainly, where Leicester Uni is #161 and Bath is in the #276-300 category.

If the rankings are based on prestigiousness/renown/reputation, then I'd agree with you, but in terms of teaching/experience I'd consider Leicester a top 20 uni.
Reply 6
Original post by cork279
I was looking at the THE rankings mainly, where Leicester Uni is #161 and Bath is in the #276-300 category.

If the rankings are based on prestigiousness/renown/reputation, then I'd agree with you, but in terms of teaching/experience I'd consider Leicester a top 20 uni.

There seems to be a world of difference between what league tables say, and what academia and top employers say. Bath is better than Leicester generally speaking for the courses it offers, and almost anyone who knows what they are talking about would agree. The younger generation tend to read league tables and hearsay, and then later find out they were to some extent misled. I've seen Leicester University close up, and I think overall it is around 28-30 in rank, and not top 20. Not being in the Russell Group is a huge blow. The grades on average you need to get into Bath are like AAAB. Even Oxbridge students really admire Bath as a top notch university, but not quite as much Leicester.

Don't get disheartened, Leicester is a good university, and boasts a medical school. It is top 30 definitely. It just isn't quite as good as Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Mansun
There seems to be a world of difference between what league tables say, and what academia and top employers say. Bath is better than Leicester generally speaking for the courses it offers, and almost anyone who knows what they are talking about would agree. The younger generation tend to read league tables and hearsay, and then later find out they were to some extent misled. I've seen Leicester University close up, and I think overall it is around 28-30 in rank, and not top 20. Not being in the Russell Group is a huge blow. The grades on average you need to get into Bath are like AAAB. Even Oxbridge students really admire Bath as a top notch university, but not quite as much Leicester.

Don't get disheartened, Leicester is a good university, and boasts a medical school. It is top 30 definitely. It just isn't quite as good as Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester etc.

I don't mind, Leicester seems good to me. I know someone quite high up in an IT job in London, I got offers from Leicester and Bristol (Bristol was my firm, I missed the offer) and he said when their business looks at potential employees they probably wouldn't determine based on the university with candidates from these two universities, despite Bristol being Russel Group and Leicester not. I guess a lot of places may be different though.

I'm mainly curious about why you made this thread when you seem so confident in your own opinion already :P
Christ just look at the league tables. It's top 20 for everything. It's no good spouting off some elitist bull**** about russell group looking to start an argument.

It is objectively a top 20 university.
Reply 9
Original post by cork279
I don't mind, Leicester seems good to me. I know someone quite high up in an IT job in London, I got offers from Leicester and Bristol (Bristol was my firm, I missed the offer) and he said when their business looks at potential employees they probably wouldn't determine based on the university with candidates from these two universities, despite Bristol being Russel Group and Leicester not. I guess a lot of places may be different though.

I'm mainly curious about why you made this thread when you seem so confident in your own opinion already :P

I lived in Leicester for one year, and frequently visited the university. Also I read what Leicester advertise that they are top 20 and elite. Slight flattery in those claims.
Reply 10
Original post by LeicesterStudent
Christ just look at the league tables. It's top 20 for everything. It's no good spouting off some elitist bull**** about russell group looking to start an argument.

It is objectively a top 20 university.

The point to get across is that league tables only provide a snapshot of the strength of a university. Leicester isn't quite up there with the big boys, it is a little behind them. It doesn't get held in the same regard as, say, Glasgow.

You can live your entire life believing, based on league tables, that Leicester is top 20. But most people do not hold it quite as high in regard and reputation as that. It is good though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
The point to get across is that league tables only provide a snapshot of the strength of a university. Leicester isn't quite up there with the big boys, it is a little behind them. It doesn't get held in the same regard as, say, Glasgow.

What are you basing this on though? You're choosing to disregard what the experts say and just replacing it with what you think is correct. What authority are you speaking with? It's just your opinion.

In fact, why are you even asking this question if you're so made up in your mind what you think Leicester is like/how it is regarded?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
x

Not sure if srs but ok :lol:
Reply 13
What are you basing this on though? You're choosing to disregard what the experts say and just replacing it with what you think is correct. What authority are you speaking with? It's just your opinion.

In fact, why are you even asking this question if you're so made up in your mind what you think Leicester is like/how it is regarded? What authority are you speaking with?

Well, Russell Group membership is the obvious method I use to assess a university for academic strength. Secondly, I look at whether a university has a medical/dental/vet school, as these courses in the vast majority of cases are entrusted to the better universities to award degrees. Thirdly, RAE ratings are of some value in measuring research strength. Fourthly, how many of the top 100 firms target the best universities (Notts and Manchester come top). And fifth, based on my own experiences from academia, business, and general consensus.

I think you will find quite a few of the smaller universities do well in league tables, as they can spend money on less students, and have a higher teacher to student ratio, amongst other things. Surrey, Loughborough and Lancaster are examples. But they are quite a bit behind top 25 also.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Well, Russell Group membership is the obvious method I use to assess a university for academic strength. Secondly, I look at whether a university has a medical/dental/vet school, as these courses in the vast majority of cases are entrusted to the better universities to award degrees. Thirdly, RAE ratings are of some value in measuring research strength. Fourthly, how many of the top 100 firms target the best universities (Notts and Manchester come top). And fifth, based on my own experiences from academia, business, and general consensus.

Ok, let's focus on fifth. Your academia, business, and 'general consensus'. What is this? What are your credentials? Because at the moment you sound like a pasty kid with his own idea of what's prestigious or high ranking without any real substance to back it up.
Reply 15
Ok, let's focus on fifth. Your academia, business, and 'general consensus'. What is this? What are your credentials? Because at the moment you sound like a pasty kid with his own idea of what's prestigious or high ranking without any real substance to back it up.

BSc Biochemistry Nottingham

MSc Microbiology Birkbeck

MSc Musculoskeletal Science UCL

Plus 8 years of experience in business (blue chip firms).
Original post by Mansun
BSc Biochemistry Nottingham

MSc Microbiology Birkbeck

MSc Musculoskeletal Science UCL

Plus 8 years of experience in business (blue chip firms).

Yet you're on the student room trying to debate with Undergraduates on why Leicester isn't top 20... on the Leicester uni sub-forum.

Why?

Oh wait, yeah, you're bull****ting.
Reply 17
Yet you're on the student room trying to debate with Undergraduates on why Leicester isn't top 20... on the Leicester uni sub-forum.

Why?

Oh wait, yeah, you're bull****ting.

I am sorry if I upset you. I got back into the TSR after I started the MSc at UCL again. I got rejected for a PhD after they said I was beaten to it by better qualified candidates boasting degrees from Oxbridge and Imperial, and Ivy League etc.The MSc will get me in second time round.

Leicester claim to be top 20, and I am challenging it. They make that claim even at the train station.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
I would say probably not. The Russell Group, Bath and St Andrews have a better case, generally speaking. Leicester may well join that league at some point, however.

Bath is incredibly overrated IMO as is St Andrew's. Leicester has always been a solid top 20 university and has a medical school, most of the decent universities have an attached medical school. Though not sure where Plymouth, Keele and now UCLAN would rank on the rating of top universities amongst the TSR elite.

The point is Leicester has never actually been viewed as inferior etc. the world rankings focus a lot more on research output and by that criteria Bath and Leicester are small research universities compared to say Manchester or Bristol. However on UK league tables they rank highly.

Many examples of prestigious universities worldwide that don't rank highly on the global rankings but are considered world class and very prestigious in their own countries; Georgetown, William and Mary, Dartmouth College, Amherst, Vanderbilt, Swarthmore, Waseda, Keio, Trinity College Dublin.
As an aside, no freaking way is Leicester better than Bath. Bath is much more renowned for its courses, has higher grade requirements and thus a better calibre of students than Leicester. But Leicester is a good uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending