The Student Room Group

isnt feminism pointless now women are basicaly equal?

sorry but everywhere I look in society, women basically have equal rights with men. Women are treated equally at any important level (like in the law) - surely they have little to complain about?

its obvious feminism has gone too far. a man can hardly approach a woman now before being accused as a rapist. Many gestures seen as romantic in many other countries would be classed as sexual assault in the uk. if a woman decided to get hammered and gets assaulted, apparently it's in no way her fault because women have a right to drink, therefore they can disregard their own safety.

it's about time feminism, with its stereotyping of men as power-hungry sexual predators and women as innocent victims, changed its agenda to suit reality and not what its followers percieve.

Scroll to see replies

it's not about equality, it's about special treatment.
It will continue to serve a purpose so long as there are women who enjoy playing the victim in society.
Original post by GeorgeBradford
sorry but everywhere I look in society, women basically have equal rights with men. Women are treated equally at any important level (like in the law) - surely they have little to complain about?

its obvious feminism has gone too far. a man can hardly approach a woman now before being accused as a rapist. Many gestures seen as romantic in many other countries would be classed as sexual assault in the uk. if a woman decided to get hammered and gets assaulted, apparently it's in no way her fault because women have a right to drink, therefore they can disregard their own safety.

it's about time feminism, with its stereotyping of men as power-hungry sexual predators and women as innocent victims, changed its agenda to suit reality and not what its followers percieve.

I do agree that the stereotyping of men has gone too far. I use tumblr a lot, and people on there seem to think it's okay to make fun of men, call them disgusting, pigs, rapists etc when most of the guys on there are actually decent people. Also I do agree with you that women shouldn't think it's okay to get completely hammered and be surprised if they do happen to get assaulted. They should use their common sense, just like men should. Getting completely, passed out drunk is never really a good idea no matter what your gender is. However, I don't think that feminism is pointless. There's still such a thing as the wage gap, and we've got to remember that the UK isn't the only country in the world. Just because women and men are more or less completely equal here, doesn't mean that they are in other places. In Saudi Arabia, women aren't even allowed to drive. And the feminist movements in the UK inspire oppressed women in other countries to fight for their own rights.
uuuuurgh

It would be apparent that you a) are a little deluded as to the state of gender equality in the UK and b) judge what feminism is after the few crazy bitches who think that men are metaphorical rapists by virtue of having a penis.

Yes, gender equality is much better than it used to be. We can vote now and everything. :tongue: And that is mostly down to feminism. Feminism is literally the pursuit of gender equality. That's its dictionary definition. It's not saying that men are horrible or women are better than men. It's after gender equality. And debunking stupid stereotypes helps men too. For instance, the whole stereotype that 'man = strong, woman = precious fragile flower' means that men suffering from domestic abuse are scared to speak out.

Sexual assault, domestic abuse and sexual harassment are still big problems that primarily, though not exclusively, affect women. There are still a lot of sexist ideals held by the media and by society that primarily, though not exclusively, affect women.

We still need feminism. We just don't need it as much as we did in the 1880s. And in certain third world countries, people need feminism just as much as we needed it in the 1880s.

We're not after special treatment, we're not after playing the victim. We just don't want to BE victims of the small minority of men that think we are inferior to them, or they have a right to have sex with us, and who are giving the majority a bad name.

As for the girl getting hammered, I agree that women should use their common sense and it's just generally not a good idea to get into that vulnerable a state. However, I refuse to believe that if she gets assaulted it is her fault. It is completely the fault of the person (it could be a woman but it's more likely to be a man) who sees her and thinks 'this person is unconscious. I am now going to penetrate her without her consent.' That is entirely their decision.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just because we make sandwiches and iron your clothes....

...I honestly think that society now has globalized in a way that we cannot control the extent that we have fooled ourselves...

stop tr0lling tr0ll0rd
Original post by GeorgeBradford

#1pointforprofeminism
(edited 9 years ago)
Gym is to blame. Too much lifting has created unsustainable stereotypes. Once the alpha is slain, our saturated society will yonder gaze at how the underdeveloped beta is among so many and yonder wish is complete. Pure uninterrupted equilibrium among genderific problemations. Gym.
...these discussions haven't died off yet, then.
In the UK, it does often go too far. In other countries, it is most definitely needed. What we need in the UK is some sort of combined movement, that instead of focusing on issues specific to one group, it focuses on issues affecting everyone, and tries to fix as many as possible.

Sadly, I see many people still glorify feminism. It has done great things, but it is much less useful in countries like the UK now. Of course, some people who identify as a feminist, do believe in equality for BOTH genders, and speak out against problems affecting men, but there are many others who are content to focus on petty issues, and/or disregard men entirely.
Reply 9
In third world countries dictated by religious dogma; yes, it's needed. Here? It's a bit of a piss take.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anybody into femdom and bdsm, you seen the dominatrices they are living the dream..
That's unsubstantial. Society is violating laws greatly, both male & female - this is all for the superior gender - who claims greater rights. The word 'egalitarian' was invented for a reason and I wish civilians had acknowledgement of this particular word. Society is tolerating such perversity. What a shame -_-
Original post by KatieLL98
I do agree that the stereotyping of men has gone too far. I use tumblr a lot, and people on there seem to think it's okay to make fun of men, call them disgusting, pigs, rapists etc when most of the guys on there are actually decent people. Also I do agree with you that women shouldn't think it's okay to get completely hammered and be surprised if they do happen to get assaulted. They should use their common sense, just like men should. Getting completely, passed out drunk is never really a good idea no matter what your gender is. However, I don't think that feminism is pointless. There's still such a thing as the wage gap, and we've got to remember that the UK isn't the only country in the world. Just because women and men are more or less completely equal here, doesn't mean that they are in other places. In Saudi Arabia, women aren't even allowed to drive. And the feminist movements in the UK inspire oppressed women in other countries to fight for their own rights.

Do you have a source for the wage gap point?
Original post by solarplexus
Just because we make sandwiches and iron your clothes....

...I honestly think that society now has globalized in a way that we cannot control to the extent that we have fooled ourselves...

stop tr0lling tr0ll0rd

#1pointforprofeminism

um...what?

that made absolutely no sense.
Original post by Birkenhead
Do you have a source for the wage gap point?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/02/women-employment-equality-pay-oecd-survey

It's really not that hard to find.
Original post by Meyrin
...these discussions haven't died off yet, then.

Do you have a problem with discussions about social movements like feminism? Either you don't take the movement seriously yourself or you're scared of the changes in popular opinion that may occur if by lifting up this stone we find worms underneath.
if women are equal to men then why is it that:
all the high up important jobs are dominated by men
a man's worst fear when meeting a woman on a dating website is that she'll be ugly, a woman's worst fear is that she'll be raped or murdered
majority of sexual assault and domestic violence cases are against women

also look how women are viewed in the media
The interesting word you've used is "basically" - women aren't treated completely equally and, I would argue, there is still a case for feminism in the UK. In much of the world, there isn't just a case for feminism but a necessity for it.

Anyone who reads feminism as "special treatment" is guilty of a misinterpretation of the true meaning of what it means to be a feminist.
(edited 9 years ago)

Guardian articles aren't, no. Independent sources on genuine employment disparities which acknowledge all possible reasons are.
Reply 19
OP is right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending