The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
Looooooool

You're killing me man.

Sanchez plays with ****ing Messi, Iniesta and others and I accept that he had a good season goal wise. **** sake read my posts on Sanchez before chatting ****. His golazos(sorry qua) mask his overall **** performances. When you finish sucking out urethra juice from Sanchez you can actually see my point of view so we can have a decent conversation.

All I see from Sanchez is a fast player, got energy and work rate and dribbling ability, his final ball is shocking, he's a more polished version of Gervinho tbh.

Sanchez is still an upgrade on what we have in the position he will play in the longer term (LW). A direct threat was needed after what Cazorla was like last season. Ox should be used as back up winger on that position when everyones fit.

Your mentioning Sanchez final ball but when Ozil is back that it something which will be less of a concern as he will be required to finish for the most part. Something which he is perfectly capable of doing.

In short, Sanchez and Theo > Hazard and Schurrle/Willian/Salah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Only could watch the first 35 minutes of the game, then had to go for a meal with family/wife

Thoughts:

-Got the result.. for early games, thats all that I really care about

-Not worried about the performance, its early days, start of the season can always be questionable, and we are still missing players, most notably mert, who is one of the biggest leaders in the team (especially defensivly) is not there yet)

- really want to see some new signings, CDM/DM/CM is an absolute must.

- overal: 3pts. Move on.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Sanchez is still an upgrade on what we have in the position he will play in the longer term (LW). A direct threat was needed after what Cazorla was like last season. Ox should be used as back up winger on that position when everyones fit.

Your mentioning Sanchez final ball but when Ozil is back that it something which will be less of a concern as he will be required to finish for the most part. Something which he is perfectly capable of doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, Hazard will be the best player in the league in time, inevitability. And ignore Jam's talk, he goes around insulting every other club's players anyway, it's a Chelsea thing.
Original post by Tom_Ford
It was a joke :redface:

Well you should have made that clearer :colonhash:
It was still OK though! :lol:
Original post by TheInvincibles14

You don't watch a lot of football do you?

You sound like jw when he was trying to argue that Kagawa is better than Eden Hazard two seasons ago. We'll see at the end of the season, but Hazard and Schurrle are a better combo than Sanchez and theo and tbh it's not even a good enough combination for Chelsea imo. Think we're lacking a right winger who can playmake and be a winger as well. I miss Robben man.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Not naive.

**** sake do you watch football?

Cazorla was terrible last season and so was Wilshere. Therefore terrible for 12 months.

Inb4 wilshers goal

Your logic is that if a player isn't playing substantially better than their previous form they've been terrible. You literally talk out of your ass, mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CallMeJay
Your logic is that if a player isn't playing substantially better than their previous form they've been terrible. You literally talk out of your ass, mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No in fact the point is the exact opposite of your post here.

You're genuinely the worst poster I've seen on ff.
Reply 3907
Original post by jam278
Looooooool

You're killing me man.

Sanchez plays with ****ing Messi, Iniesta and others and I accept that he had a good season goal wise. **** sake read my posts on Sanchez before chatting ****. His golazos(sorry qua) mask his overall **** performances. When you finish sucking out urethra juice from Sanchez you can actually see my point of view so we can have a decent conversation.

All I see from Sanchez is a fast player, got energy and work rate and dribbling ability, his final ball is shocking, he's a more polished version of Gervinho tbh.

Kinda true for last season, although I'd rephrase it as "hot and cold" rather than "****" performances. His goal tally is really not something to go by; in a lot of cases his performances weren't as good as the number suggested . Also agree with the assessment in the other posts, but I think it's just as much or more down to the system & role he's assigned to play than to him as a player (or him being 'insufficient' as a player).

In possession-based teams, the players put out wide will always be more likely to face an organised wall of defenders, and that makes it hard for pretty much every player (not just Alexis) to provide the full package of taking on defenders & breaking through the line, creating their own scoring chances AND finishing them. So regardless of who you play there at a team like Arsenal (and of his pricetag/name), expecting him to excel at all those things is asking too much. Most players (cf. Villa at Barcelona) will either do the one thing & help create chances for others or the other, relying on good collective play around the box. With Alexis this is especially problematic because per se, in any system, he isn't really the best at creating chances for himself; so naturally on the wing it will only be worse.

Means that if you want to be able to rely on him as a scoring threat from the wing, you'd need a lot of creative output through the centre in the advanced area of the field, so that the chances are created for him and he's able to just poach goals. To get him to do what he does best (which means less goals then most on here expect from him), you'd need to give him a free role e.g. somewhere in the middle or as a second support striker.

---
tl;dr Don't think it's not about Alexis being generally "****" against teams that don't play a high line, just about where & how he's used.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
Kinda true for last season, although I'd rephrase it as "hot and cold" rather than "****" performances. His goal tally last season is really not something to go by and in a lot of cases his performances weren't as good as the number suggested . Also agree with the assessment in the other posts, but I think it's just as much down to the system & role he's assigned to play as to him as a player (or him being 'insufficient' as a player).

In possession-based teams, the players put out wide will always be more likely to face an organised wall of defenders, and that makes it hard for pretty much every player (not just Alexis) to provide the full package of taking on defenders & breaking through the line, creating their own scoring chances AND finishing them. So regardless of who you play there at a team like Arsenal (and his pricetag), expecting him to excel at all those things is asking a too much. Most players (cf. Villa at Barcelona) will either do the one thing & help create chances for others or the other, relying on good collective play around the box. With Alexis this is especially problematic because per se, in any system, he isn't really the best at creating chances for himself; so naturally on the wing it will only be worse.

Means that if you want to be able to rely on him as a scoring threat from the wing, you'd need a lot of creative output through the centre in the advanced area of the field, so that the chances are created for him and he's able to just poach goals. To get him to do what he does best (which means less goals then most on here expect from him), you'd need to give him a free role e.g. somewhere in the middle or as a second support striker.

---
tl;dr Don't think it's not about Alexis being generally "****" against teams that don't play a high line, just about where & how he's used.

qua, I would drag my balls through miles of broken glass, just to hear you fart through a walkey-talkey.
Sanchez was the best player in Serie A for Udinese
Sanchez was one of the player of the tournament at the WC
Sanchez was arguably Barca's best player last season
Guardiola, Wenger, Rodgers and Juve all think he's mustard

But some random fella on a student forum reckons he's **** innit so what does that all matter, let's focus on a 12 month period when he was poor.

His final ball probably is sub par but so was Freddy Ljungberg and Overmars' and they're PL legends ! He's more of a forward than a winger anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

But some random fella on a student forum reckons he's **** innit so what does that all matter, let's focus on a 12 month period when he was poor.

His final ball probably is sub par but so was Freddy Ljungberg and Overmars' and they're PL legends ! He's more of a forward than a winger anyway.

I'm sure if Messi signed for us these same people would be complaining that he would not be able to handle the cold rainy nights at the Britannia :rolleyes:.
Original post by qua
Kinda true for last season, although I'd rephrase it as "hot and cold" rather than "****" performances. His goal tally last season is really not something to go by and in a lot of cases his performances weren't as good as the number suggested . Also agree with the assessment in the other posts, but I think it's just as much down to the system & role he's assigned to play as to him as a player (or him being 'insufficient' as a player).

Tbh I was just trolling with the **** comment. Wouldn't have said he had a good last season then go back on my word so quickly in saying he scored good goals to mask **** performances.

In possession-based teams, the players put out wide will always be more likely to face an organised wall of defenders, and that makes it hard for pretty much every player (not just Alexis) to provide the full package of taking on defenders & breaking through the line, creating their own scoring chances AND finish them. So regardless of who you play there at a team like Arsenal, expecting him to excel at all those things is asking a too much, regardless of the pricetag. Most players (cf. Villa at Barcelona) will either do the one thing & help create chances for others or the other, relying on good collective play around the box. With Alexis this is especially problematic because per se, in any system, he isn't really the best at creating chances for himself; so naturally on the wing it will only be worse.

I guess so with this, there are runners and there are creators. I don't think he's that amazing in either but you could probably get him to do one of the two rules and change mid game. You say he's best as creator in the middle but majority of the time I just see poor final balls even though he's good in his buildup play before the final bit in the box. He's a handful for a defender though tbf and I agree that he tries too much. It does mean that every now and again he'll score a wondergoal though.

Means that if you want to be able to rely on him as a scoring threat from the wing, you'd need a lot of creative output through the centre in the advanced area of the field (from the mf) and enable him to just poach goals, and if you want him to create or just do what he does best, you'd need to give him a free role e.g. somewhere in the middle or as a second striker.

Just noticed I've essentially paraphrased this on him being a creator or a finisher/runner but should not be both. I agree. There are players capable of both though. Messi and Bale e.g. I just think that Sanchez is a jack of all trades attacking mid.

---

Do you think Barcelona utilised him and got anywhere near his potential overall? E.g. he played better when Messi was out. Can you mention any great performances from Sanchez vs parked buses at Barca and his role then? Whether he was a creator or not?

I have a feeling that Sanchez will suffer similar problems to what he encountered at Barca.
Original post by Zürich

but who was Messi?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

He did well at Udinese. It's Udinese ffs. Gervinho did well for Lille too and has done well for Roma. Callejon has done well for Napoli so is he therefore mustard then?

Luis got into team of the tournament and Messi got golden ball despite being absolutely terrible in the final and being **** for majority of games bar the 1 moment of magic each game. What is your point.

Juve thinking he's mustard and Liverpool thinking he's mustard is funny. It's Sanchez or Adam Lallana ffs and Juve pretty much stopped their interest as they got priced out.

I'm calling on you to majorly criticize Sanchez at least once this season. That's my prediction. Anyway whole Arsenal team played poor today(not a dig) so there's no need to single out Sanchez. But the people using Messi comparisons at Arsenal and people saying he's **** are just deluded people with victim complexes. Just because Ozil and Sanchez had clear faults in their games that I'm not worried about pointing out doesn't mean I or other posters have a vendetta or schaudenfraude against Arsenal. E.g. I have not criticized the signings of Chambers or Debuchy in a footballing ability sense (bar price for Debuchy's age but we bought Filipe for 20M so same issue) because I know they are good signings.

Finally lol at Sanchez being Barca's best player last season. Do you watch Barca? It's still Messi. They are still completely reliant on Messi whenever he plays on the pitch. Just because Sanchez and Fabregas do well because he got injured do not mean that they were the best players last season.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm sure if Messi signed for us these same people would be complaining that he would not be able to handle the cold rainy nights at the Britannia :rolleyes:.

You can tell when someone decides not to rate a player, and then comes up with the reasons after.

''Dont fancy that Tony Adams, too slow''
Original post by Zürich
You can tell when someone decides not to rate a player, and then comes up with the reasons after.

''Dont fancy that Tony Adams, too slow''

Funny thing is that I've been criticizing Sanchez for a good 2 years. I dislike the player and it's something that playing good for 4 games in the summer can't rectify. **** it Torres got golden ball in 2 of the last three international tournaments ffs.

Dunno about butty but I have been criticizing Sanchez for ages.
Original post by jam278
Funny thing is that I've been criticizing Sanchez for a good 2 years. I dislike the player and it's something that playing good for 4 games in the summer can't rectify. **** it Torres got golden ball in 2 of the last three international tournaments ffs.

Fabregas has been nowhere near world class since he joined Barca.
Fabregas has been nowhere near world class since he joined Barca.

You don't watch la liga do you?

He tends to play world class for half a season then fade near the end of the season.

He had the same problem at Arsenal tbh.

Problem is that Fabregas plays best in the positions occupied by Iniesta and Messi. So he's not going to look WC when those two are ahead of him in his preferred position.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
You don't watch la liga do you?

He tends to play world class for half a season then fade near the end of the season.

He had the same problem at Arsenal tbh.

Problem is that Fabregas plays best in the positions occupied by Iniesta and Messi. So he's not going to look WC when those two are ahead of him in his preferred position.

A world class player does not play well for half a season and then fade near the end. That is like saying the Arsenal team from last season was world class. Played great during the first half, faded near the end. Yet, I don't really see you calling them world class, because they weren't. Try again. Subpar wumming.
Original post by jam278

The whole arsenal squad is ****.

Another trophyless season.

Latest