The Student Room Group

Really worried about starting A-levels...

Scroll to see replies

The mention of STEM was really unnecessary. :rolleyes:
OP, if you have chosen subjects you are passionate about, that's good - it means you will be more inclined to revise and do well. :smile: As long as you keep on top of the work and don't let things slip, you'll be okay. :smile:
I still haven't really chosen my options yet though. XD
Original post by Beri
Lool, no way, go for what you wanna do. Like I said, as long as you start study early and keep studying regularly, A levels is a breeze regardless of the subject. Personally, I just think the humanities require more thought, having done Eng Lit at AS.

What is wrong with doing the Humanities?
Original post by CactiQueen
But if you are thinking of studying Human Geography then a English would be better to have, however if youre thinking of studying Earth Science type Geography a Science would be better to have.
But if you're thinking of studying a English then they would look for you to have a an English rather than a science????????????????????????? idk

Yes, if you want to do English at Uni, take English! It would be pointless taking a science or another subject that has no relevance to it whatsoever. Honestly, a lot of people on TSR as another poster has already mentioned are obsessed with the STEM hierarchy which is nonsense. You're worried about A Levels and my best advice that I can give you (I'm going into Year 13) is to take subjects you will enjoy having to learn for another 2 years. It will be insanely difficult picking subjects others have coerced you into taking. What matters at the end of the day is how comfortable you are and now happy you are. Pick the subjects you said you wanted in your first post! :smile:
Original post by Pokémontrainer
The mention of STEM was really unnecessary. :rolleyes:
OP, if you have chosen subjects you are passionate about, that's good - it means you will be more inclined to revise and do well. :smile: As long as you keep on top of the work and don't let things slip, you'll be okay. :smile:
I still haven't really chosen my options yet though. XD

Thankyou, it has taken me ages to decide mine but I think I have made the decision but after posting this it has made me feel a little dumb that I am not choosing the so called 'stem subjects' wishing I didn't post subjects now! :frown: but thankyou for your support, I appreciate it
Reply 24
What is wrong with doing the Humanities?

I didn't say anything was wrong with them, I said they required more thought meaning they're somewhat harder than STEM, in my opinion.
Original post by overthelove
Yes, if you want to do English at Uni, take English! It would be pointless taking a science or another subject that has no relevance to it whatsoever. Honestly, a lot of people on TSR as another poster has already mentioned are obsessed with the STEM hierarchy which is nonsense. You're worried about A Levels and my best advice that I can give you (I'm going into Year 13) is to take subjects you will enjoy having to learn for another 2 years. It will be insanely difficult picking subjects others have coerced you into taking. What matters at the end of the day is how comfortable you are and now happy you are. Pick the subjects you said you wanted in your first post! :smile:

:h:Thankyou for being kind, I enjoy Geography and Language they are the things I love most! I am not sure what I will be doing in the future but I will work hard and try my best!
Reply 26
THANKYOU!
I need more people like you!
My Science teacher told me I wouldn't have a future without studying it at A-level but what if I don't want to have a future in Science??
I am going to work my butt off and get that predicted A* in Geography GCSE a reality and get a great grade in Geography A-level. :biggrin:

Don't worry too much about AS, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you have ambition. I'm an AS student taking Geography and just got an A, so happy - I hope you get that A* :smile: What are you thinking about doing in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
:h:Thankyou for being kind, I enjoy Geography and Language they are the things I love most! I am not sure what I will be doing in the future but I will work hard and try my best!

I'm glad! You've certainly got the right attitude for it! Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Beri
I didn't say anything was wrong with them, I said they required more thought meaning they're somewhat harder than STEM, in my opinion.

Humanities are much more a strong point in my case than the Sciences/Maths-especially Mathematics. Anyways, thank you for your opinion I appreciate it :smile:
Thankyou, it has taken me ages to decide mine but I think I have made the decision but after posting this it has made me feel a little dumb that I am not choosing the so called 'stem subjects' wishing I didn't post subjects now! :frown: but thankyou for your support, I appreciate it

Don't worry about it! Don't let anyone make you feel dumb for doing what you love!
Humanities are actually very respected. Logic, skill and creativity are required for English literature for example, people struggle immensely with this subject. Law degrees are also looked upon with a lot of respect.
I know someone who is very gifted in STEM, but struggled with analysing things in history. I also know someone who is gifted in STEM, but is pursuing a humanities career- because that's what they love. :smile:
It's taking me a long time to decide my choices too! XD
Original post by elri
Don't worry too much about AS, I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you have ambition. I'm an AS student taking Geography and just got an A, so happy - I hope you get that A* :smile: What are you thinking about doing in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on your A!
I don't know at all, I LOVE love Geography and I was thinking of doing a career in that. I haven't done enough research into it to pick out what I would do.. I also love Language and was realistically thinking of doing something with Speech& Language and do a job similar to my cousin who works at Cambridge University... it sounds interesting what he does-he does a lot of interesting research. He also picked similar GCSEs to me and similar A-levels. What do you want to do in the future? :-) Do you have any tips for Geography AS?
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Don't worry about it! Don't let anyone make you feel dumb for doing what you love!
Humanities are actually very respected. Logic, skill and creativity are required for English literature for example, people struggle immensely with this subject. Law degrees are also looked upon with a lot of respect.
I know someone who is very gifted in STEM, but struggled with analysing things in history. I also know someone who is gifted in STEM, but is pursuing a humanities career- because that's what they love. :smile:
It's taking me a long time to decide my choices too! XD

Thank you for all your advise- you're great:biggrin:
Good luck for results day and I wish you all the best for A-levels :smile:
Reply 32
Humanities are much more a strong point in my case than the Sciences/Maths-especially Mathematics. Anyways, thank you for your opinion I appreciate it :smile:

Don't do STEM subjects if they're not what you enjoy and you aren't good at them. I did STEM, but that's because I prefer them to, and am genuinely better at them than humanities.

OP I think you've chosen a great set of A levels with a mix of "facilitating" and enjoyment courses, the photography.

You're right A level is a big step up and you're right that you will be writing like a GCSE student. This is because at the beginning everyone writes like a GCSE student. It sounds silly, but come this time next year you'll look back on your AS levels and remark at how little content there was in them. The reason for this is that so much time and emphasis is put on improving your general skill set by your teachers. That's writing better essays, writing quicker, planning better etc. Again it seems silly, but after learning all of this you'll look back on your GCSEs and they'll seem trivial.

The reason you see so many "I failed wat do" threads is that they're the only people who need advice. Most people do fine at AS level.

Unlike at GCSE you'll find that your teachers won't chase you, you'll be chasing your teachers and for many people the key to good grades is seeking them out and asking them for help as soon as a problem arises. You'll find they're more friendly than they were at GCSE.

Best of luck in your AS levels, I'm sure you'll smash them!!
Original post by overthelove
I'm glad! You've certainly got the right attitude for it! Good Luck :smile:

Thankyou:smile:
Reply 34
Congratulations on your A!
I don't know at all, I LOVE love Geography and I was thinking of doing a career in that. I haven't done enough research into it to pick out what I would do.. I also love Language and was realistically thinking of doing something with Speech& Language and do a job similar to my cousin who works at Cambridge University... it sounds interesting what he does-he does a lot of interesting research. He also picked similar GCSEs to me and similar A-levels. What do you want to do in the future? :-) Do you have any tips for Geography AS?

Yeah geography is quite a broad subject when it comes to careers.. I'm still unsure what career I want. I know that I enjoy the subject and will hopefully be going to study it at uni.
Hmm.. well I took the AQA course and I really recommend just making sure you revise as much of the book/course content as possible and get all your notes down for the year in whatever form you memorise them best. Then you'll be ready for any question that pops up on the paper. Simple tips but they work aha :smile:
It is not the work load that I am worried about for A-levels because I am committed and want to work hard.
It's just that I am worried about the difficulty-the step up from GCSE. I do not feel A-level ready at all!
I am studying

-Geography
-Literature
-Language
-Photography

I have no idea what job I want to do or what career I want to go in so I've chosen the subjects I love most,do well in and I am passionate about most.
The thing is Literature.. essays sound like abit of a jump and I think I'll still be writing like a GCSE student :-/
I am also worried about the balance of trying to make friends and the fact that I don't want to waste frees by not studying.
I am free apprehensive about A-levels.. is there anyone that can offer any advise or tips? I would be very grateful!
I have been given homework for Literature and Geography but cant do much at the moment without my results as its a questionnaire thing about GCSES (What grade you got etc) but I have started reading books off the book list, I bought them all.

I know how you feel when i started alevels i was worried about how difficult it was going to be, but once i started i discovered that its not that hard. You just need hang with the right friends and balance your time well ohh and work hardd :smile: . Everyone says its a big shift from gcse to AS but i didnt even notice that.
If i decide to put in half an hour revision for my chosen subjects Chemistry Biology History Art everyday until near exams where i will obviously do much more will i get good grades or is that not enough??
Original post by Shazimmahbe
If i decide to put in half an hour revision for my chosen subjects Chemistry Biology History Art everyday until near exams where i will obviously do much more will i get good grades or is that not enough??

Of course that's not enough. You won't do anything properly in half an hour...

What you should do is study a subject for an hour and a half, have a half an hour break, then study that subject again (or a different one), for another hour and a half, etc.
Original post by Pectorac
Of course that's not enough. You won't do anything properly in half an hour...

What you should do is study a subject for an hour and a half, have a half an hour break, then study that subject again (or a different one), for another hour and a half, etc.

Oh Lord i honestly don't even think there are enough hours in the day
Reply 39
Original post by Shazimmahbe
Oh Lord i honestly don't even think there are enough hours in the day

A bit of swatting up like that each day is perfect until near exams when you ramp it up.
Don't go too hard near the beginning because you'll get exhausted and give up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest