The Student Room Group

school not letting me get my result on results day

hi , so i am in year 10 and did my core science gcse in June and my school said i have to wait until we come back to school in September to get my result because they need to sort out the year 11's grades , but i really need to know my result ... what should i do ?

Scroll to see replies

Wait until September.
Just wait until September. Let the year 11's have their day - waiting a week and a bit extra isn't going to harm you.
Original post by Humzaawan123
hi , so i am in year 10 and did my core science gcse in June and my school said i have to wait until we come back to school in September to get my result because they need to sort out the year 11's grades , but i really need to know my result ... what should i do ?

Why do you need to know your result if you're in year 10? I'm sure you can wait until September; the year 11s need to be dealt with to see if they've got into sixth form/college and if they can still take the A-levels they want. That's much more important than the impatience of a year 10 who has to know everything as soon as they can.
Call up and ask/go in and ask. They'll probably just give it to you rather than waste time explaining why not
Original post by overthelove
Just wait until September. Let the year 11's have their day - waiting a week and a bit extra isn't going to harm you.

It's not exactly hard to print out a set of results for pupils to collect. All other schools manage it.
Original post by joker12345
It's not exactly hard to print out a set of results for pupils to collect. All other schools manage it.

The school probably doesn't want to deal with the drama of year 10s crying and demanding what to do if they've got a lower grade than expected, when they've got all the year 11s to sort out whose grades actually matter right at that moment.
Are you a genius?
Original post by Pectorac
The school probably doesn't want to deal with the drama of year 10s crying and demanding what to do if they've got a lower grade than expected, when they've got all the year 11s to sort out whose grades actually matter right at that moment.

That's selfish and downright **** of the school. They should certainly tell year 10s they are unable to discuss results with them atm, and focus on year 11s, but to not give then results is unnecessary and pointless.

Of course it isn't. It's also not exactly hard to wait until the next day and receive the results in the post, or if not that, to wait until September.
That's selfish and downright **** of the school. They should certainly tell year 10s they are unable to discuss results with them atm, and focus on year 11s, but to not give then results is unnecessary and pointless.

No, it's right of the school. Don't you think they have enough work to do with the 180+ year 11s getting their results, a lot of whom will need to adjust their A-level choices, ask for remarks and resits, potentially not have gotten into sixth form or college and have to find somewhere else, etc? The most appropriate thing to do would be to make an announcement on the school website explaining this, and tell the year 10s not to worry because they can resit in year 11.

Even if they say they can't discuss the results but still give them out, there will be hoards of immature 15 year old year 10 students who can't take this for an answer, who will be chasing teachers to ask about what they should do if they haven't got the grades they were expecting, and this is the last thing the school needs. There will be enough going on with the year 11s at school, without year 10s hanging around, hunting down teachers and potentially getting parents involved on a day which is meant to be about the year 11s and sorting out their futures.
(edited 9 years ago)
first of all this grade will also affect what subjects i can study at A-level so that is an unfair comment , and don't the school have to give me my result if i go in , or is there any other ways of getting my result ?
Of course it isn't. It's also not exactly hard to wait until the next day and receive the results in the post, or if not that, to wait until September.

It's not the next day. And it is pretty hard when the whole world is getting results and asking about yours and you've got no idea. It's also frustrating that the school refuse to tell you how you've done, it's your result so sort of your right to know.
It's not the next day. And it is pretty hard when the whole world is getting results and asking about yours and you've got no idea. It's also frustrating that the school refuse to tell you how you've done, it's your result so sort of your right to know.

that's exactly how i feel , i should have the right to know how well i have done

Fair enough. I can understand his frustrations but at the same time - what if he was in year 11, didn't get good enough grades to go to a sixth form and a teacher was fussing over a year 10?
When I was in year 10 last year we were allowed to get our results aswell seeing as it was "GCSE Results" Day. I took French and Core Science btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
first of all this grade will also affect what subjects i can study at A-level so that is an unfair comment , and don't the school have to give me my result if i go in , or is there any other ways of getting my result ?

No it doesn't, your year 11 result will affect that. Why do you think it does? The school doesn't have to give you anything; it is their result as much as yours. If the school were point blank refusing to give you it at all even in September, you'd have the legal right to see it through the freedom of information act. They are withholding it because it is not important that you know at this time.
Fair enough. I can understand his frustrations but at the same time - what if he was in year 11, didn't get good enough grades to go to a sixth form and a teacher was fussing over a year 10?

I agree; this is like what I said above :smile:
that's exactly how i feel , i should have the right to know how well i have done

you will know how well you've done. a week later. be patient!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pectorac
No it doesn't, your year 11 result will affect that. Why do you think it does? The school doesn't have to give you anything; it is their result as much as yours. If the school were point blank refusing to give you it at all even in September, you'd have the legal right to see it through the freedom of information act. They are withholding it because it is not important that you know at this time.

i need at least a c in core and additional science to do science A-levels at sixth form so don't say that it doesn't affect anything , it does it is an actual gcse that i will be unable to retake so it is just as important if not more important that the results of my other subjects that i will get in year 11 because i want to do sciences at A-level.

Quick Reply