The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh, somehow didn't notice this thread until now.

Hello... I'm Nikola, and apparently I'm a Year 13. D:

(Applying for PPE at some places, Economics & Politics at others.)
Original post by NikolaT
Oh, somehow didn't notice this thread until now.

Hello... I'm Nikola, and apparently I'm a Year 13. D:

(Applying for PPE at some places, Economics & Politics at others.)

Hello! What universities are you looking into? :smile:
Original post by Katie97
Psychology :noway: I found it hard to get into last year as the board I'm with don't really leave you with much room to explore the subject at all. It says memorise this and this and then write it in the exact way specified. It's like they have a model answer of exactly how you have to phrase things and if you stray away from that at all you lose marks. Everyone's essays are exactly the same. :hmpf:

I hate the frigidity of exam boards, and how mark schemes can be so pedantic! Only one more year though and we're (kind of) free!
Original post by overthelove
Hello! What universities are you looking into? :smile:

Oxford (PPE), York (Economics & Politics), Bath (Economics & Politics), Exeter (Economics & Politics), Lancaster (Economics & Politics) - maybe's for UCL (Arts & Sciences), Nottingham (Politics and Economics), KCL (Political Economy).
Original post by NikolaT
Oxford (PPE), York (Economics & Politics), Bath (Economics & Politics), Exeter (Economics & Politics), Lancaster (Economics & Politics) - maybe's for UCL (Arts & Sciences), Nottingham (Politics and Economics), KCL (Political Economy).

Very nice! You're lucky there isn't too much variation in your courses otherwise writing up your personal statement would be awful.
Very nice! You're lucky there isn't too much variation in your courses otherwise writing up your personal statement would be awful.

Actually, I kinda planned it that way. :colondollar:

The only major worry would probably be if I did want to go for UCL Arts and Sciences. No idea how I'd even go about trying to make my personal statement better for them. But since I'm looking at Oxford I think one majorly competitive university will probably be enough.
Original post by NikolaT
Actually, I kinda planned it that way. :colondollar:

The only major worry would probably be if I did want to go for UCL Arts and Sciences. No idea how I'd even go about trying to make my personal statement better for them. But since I'm looking at Oxford I think one majorly competitive university will probably be enough.

I was going to apply for the UCL course. One of their representatives said that they understand you'll be applying to other courses, and will read your statement regardless, but decisions won't be based on it as it'll probably have little relevance to the course! They also take you in for a workshop so they'll see what you're like there anyway :smile:
I was going to apply for the UCL course. One of their representatives said that they understand you'll be applying to other courses, and will read your statement regardless, but decisions won't be based on it as it'll probably have little relevance to the course! They also take you in for a workshop so they'll see what you're like there anyway :smile:

Oh really? That's interesting. I haven't done much in terms of the research for the course I have to say, just looked into the different major/minor paths, their requirements etc. Loved the modules on offer.

Did they say what the major thing is they base their decisions on? AS grades, GCSEs, the separate questionnaire, or that workshop thing?

What courses are you applying to?
Original post by NikolaT
Oh really? That's interesting. I haven't done much in terms of the research for the course I have to say, just looked into the different major/minor paths, their requirements etc. Loved the modules on offer.

Did they say what the major thing is they base their decisions on? AS grades, GCSEs, the separate questionnaire, or that workshop thing?

What courses are you applying to?

Yup! I really liked what they had on offer too. And the routes graduates have taken after the course look good as well!

As for me, I'm applying for Biochemistry with French. I want to go into cancer research perhaps or just research in general, but also for the liberal arts course!

The guy didn't really say much about what they base it on, but a levels did have a large role of course and I'm assuming the questionnaire and workshop helps them filter out the goodies from the baddies :smile:
Hey guys,

My College enrolment I believe is on the 26th of August however when would classes be starting ideally? <--- 4-5th September? :redface:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
:console: I feel you. My physics class was never big (eight people, which to be fair was a x4 increase from what they had the previous year), and I only know one other person that's definitely doing it to A2. My school forces people to drop the subject with the lowest grade, so I'm unsure if others are staying. I can't get hold of some people to even know what their grades were yet :frown:

It sounds horrible that your school does this because people should be allowed to take whatever subjects they want, providing they have got the grades for getting into those courses.They should also realise that putting people onto courses they want leads them to have more motivation for the subject, which could actually mean they would get a higher grade in the subject they got a lower grade in at AS and they can resit those modules they did badly in.

On a similar note make sure you apply for the subject at university you really want to do, even if it means you don't get into a top university.

I have been on here since Y9 by the way.
I'm going back to Sixth form on the 4th September but I'm away until te 5th. :frown: fml. *makes bad choices* at least I only have one double lesson and whatever we do with UCAS to catch up on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Hi I'm Jess and I'm in year 13! That's scary. I got 4 A at AS in maths, further maths, economics and biology. My school and parents are really pushing me to apply for oxbridge but I want to do maths and economics or morse and these are not available at oxbridge. What do I do? A course I won't enjoy as much at a top uni?
New in these parts, going into Year 13. Did better than I was expecting at AS and got AAAB. Only issue with that is that the B was in Politics which is what I want to do at Uni, but I was so close to an A that with enough hard work I can hopefully drag it up. Also getting it remarked as I was 1 mark off an A in each paper, so fingers crossed. :smile:

Only downside is that I have to either do 4 as well as my EPQ, or drop Physics or Further Maths that I did quite well in. Leaning towards dropping Further because I don't enjoy it but then I know I'd be mad to after doing so well. Either way, I'm a lot more confident heading into this year than I was heading into Year 12. Good luck to all my fellow Year 13s :smile:
Reply 154
Original post by Kandyan
New in these parts, going into Year 13. Did better than I was expecting at AS and got AAAB. Only issue with that is that the B was in Politics which is what I want to do at Uni, but I was so close to an A that with enough hard work I can hopefully drag it up. Also getting it remarked as I was 1 mark off an A in each paper, so fingers crossed. :smile:

Only downside is that I have to either do 4 as well as my EPQ, or drop Physics or Further Maths that I did quite well in. Leaning towards dropping Further because I don't enjoy it but then I know I'd be mad to after doing so well. Either way, I'm a lot more confident heading into this year than I was heading into Year 12. Good luck to all my fellow Year 13s :smile:

Is dropping epq an option?
Original post by Jlendon
Is dropping epq an option?

It is, but I've already started working on it over the summer and really want to do it. I think I'm just going to talk to my teachers and see how my remark goes then decide then. After all, it's not exactly a bad position to be in :smile:
Reply 156
Original post by marykingggggg
Yes im the same!! All my friends know exactly what they want to do, it stresses me out ugh

I'm having a bad time researching too, I wish we had more time to decide :frown:
Reply 157
Original post by Katie97
Me! Which is why I'll probably take a gap year to work and travel before I go off to uni. It will hopefully give me some thinking time before I spend £27,000 on a degree that I'm not sure on. D:

Ha, lucky. My parents won't let me take a gap year, so I'm forced to decide within the next month.
Original post by Jlendon
Hi I'm Jess and I'm in year 13! That's scary. I got 4 A at AS in maths, further maths, economics and biology. My school and parents are really pushing me to apply for oxbridge but I want to do maths and economics or morse and these are not available at oxbridge. What do I do? A course I won't enjoy as much at a top uni?

Go for Warwick. Second in UK in Maths (I think) and they do a MORSE course, and possibly a Maths and economics course (not sure about that one)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Original post by beautyviews
Same and I really need to start soon! I take geography, psychology, business and accounting. I really like psychology but can't see myself doing it at uni. What do you take? :tongue:

History economics and politics (just dropped maths Yay!) I wish I could be sure of all the degree programmes available and not just have to decide from the most widely available ones, just because it's easier to write a personal statement for one course. I'm trying to decide out of history, history and politics, law and international relations. Until them, I'm behind in all the prep my school has made us do in terms of ucas :frown: I wanted to do psychology for a while after reading the bell jar, but then decided that psychology at a level would probably be helpful haha

Latest