The Student Room Group

ABBC at AS --> A*A*A*A at A2. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lilixxx1000
Congrats on the medicine offers! Which uni are you going to?

Thank you! Glasgow :h:
Original post by juliam
I found I revised best by doing past papers, but everyone's different, so figure out what helps you best (tbh the two ways really are notes or questions!) I managed my time by starting at easter - I didn't really have a timetable per se, I just kept general track of how much I'd done vs time left, considering I'd started at easter I soon worked out the pace that was needed.

1) do you print out past year papers and then do them?
2) your school fees and exams are free right up to college.
do you have to fork out a dime for resits or is that free too?
i thought that if you retake modules you have to take a gap year? or is that only this year because of no jan retakes?
Reply 23
Original post by Maura Kat
1) do you print out past year papers and then do them?
2) your school fees and exams are free right up to college.
do you have to fork out a dime for resits or is that free too?

I printed out all my past papers. I don't think you have to pay to resit - check with your college though. I got a scholarship to a private school for sixth form so they covered all my exam entries :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Hellokiddies
i thought that if you retake modules you have to take a gap year? or is that only this year because of no jan retakes?

January resits ended last year, so I did all my AS resits in May/June alongside my A2 papers.
Original post by juliam
January resits ended last year, so I did all my AS resits in May/June alongside my A2 papers.

oh i'm a bit confused now, could you please explain what you did after getting your as results? i'm disappointed with my as results and i was told i can only take a gap year or do postgrad
Congrats. Studying past papers and mark schemes is the key for A-level results, trust this wizened old soul.
Original post by juliam
Pretty self explanatory.

Firstly, WOW! that's an amazing achievement and I'm not just saying that :^_^:
Here's what I'd like to ask you. I got a B for product design which I'm not so happy with for AS 154/200, at the end I want an A.. so what do I need to get in A2 for an A overall?
Reply 28
oh i'm a bit confused now, could you please explain what you did after getting your as results? i'm disappointed with my as results and i was told i can only take a gap year or do postgrad

I went and spoke to my teachers of the subjects which I hadn't done so well in, and asked for their advice, which was to resit just the worst unit of each. Then I went to find admin-land in the middle of college and spoke to the person who puts in the exam entries, and asked her to put me down to do those units again as resits with the AS students in the summer.
Reply 29
Original post by DANGO.DANGO
Firstly, WOW! that's an amazing achievement and I'm not just saying that :^_^:
Here's what I'd like to ask you. I got a B for product design which I'm not so happy with for AS 154/200, at the end I want an A.. so what do I need to get in A2 for an A overall?

I think you need 166 to average 160, which I think might be the boundary for an A. I wouldn't focus too much on that though, just do the best you can in every unit!
Original post by juliam
I went and spoke to my teachers of the subjects which I hadn't done so well in, and asked for their advice, which was to resit just the worst unit of each. Then I went to find admin-land in the middle of college and spoke to the person who puts in the exam entries, and asked her to put me down to do those units again as resits with the AS students in the summer.

so did you still apply that year or did you apply in year 13? and if you applied in year 12, did they give you a conditional place?
Reply 31
so did you still apply that year or did you apply in year 13? and if you applied in year 12, did they give you a conditional place?

I applied in Year 13 because I'm from England and you can't apply in Year 12 here because everyone hoping to go to university does Year 13 (are you living in Scotland? Year 13 there is optional right?). So I applied in Year 13 and was given a conditional offer of AAA to include biology and chemistry.
I have just received my A-levels results of which I have recieved A*BBac in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics(AS) and History(AS) respectively. I was 2 ums off an A in A-level physics. I undertook these exams under extenuating circumstances of my grandfather passing away 4 weeks before my first exam. I am reapplying to univerisity next year completing the Further Mathematics A-level and boosting my Physics and Biology grade. I achieved 3 A*'s in GCSE and 7A's whilst achieving AAABC at AS level. I am reapplying to take mathematics at university. I hope to achieve A*A*A*A and a 1 in STEP I. It's a cliche saying on the student room but is there any point applying to the big universities?

Thanks in advanced for the help.
Reply 33
Original post by Ninja_heel
I have just received my A-levels results of which I have recieved A*BBac in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics(AS) and History(AS) respectively. I was 2 ums off an A in A-level physics. I undertook these exams under extenuating circumstances of my grandfather passing away 4 weeks before my first exam. I am reapplying to univerisity next year completing the Further Mathematics A-level and boosting my Physics and Biology grade. I achieved 3 A*'s in GCSE and 7A's whilst achieving AAABC at AS level. I am reapplying to take mathematics at university. I hope to achieve A*A*A*A and a 1 in STEP I. It's a cliche saying on the student room but is there any point applying to the big universities?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

I know many 'big' universities aren't thrilled with resits for medicine, but as I understand it they don't tend to mind for other subjects. That being said, I'd be surprised if Oxbridge didn't have a resit policy, and maybe Warwick, for maths. Your best bet is checking their website and/or calling the admissions office of the universities you're interested in.
I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather. It sounds like you're really capable! Maybe consider having Physics remarked?
Original post by juliam
I know many 'big' universities aren't thrilled with resits for medicine, but as I understand it they don't tend to mind for other subjects. That being said, I'd be surprised if Oxbridge didn't have a resit policy, and maybe Warwick, for maths. Your best bet is checking their website and/or calling the admissions office of the universities you're interested in.
I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather. It sounds like you're really capable! Maybe consider having Physics remarked?

Thanks for the reply it really means a lot I think my heads all over the place at the moment. I shall take your advice and congratulations on your grades and offer i wish you the best for your degree, no doubt you shall make an excellent doctor.
What did you get in the ukcat ?
Reply 36
Original post by ryanb97
What did you get in the ukcat ?

3280 :biggrin:
Reply 37
Firsty, congrats on your amazing results! I see you did English Lit, I'm also going to be starting English Literature in September, and I'm aiming for an A/A* grade. For those who got the grade, I'm wondering what *extra* measures did you put in, compared to the rest of the class (seeing as you were behind), which got you the top grade?
I also want to try out these revision methods and I'm wondering if you could give me some feedback on how effective they would be in getting me to succeed.
1) List all the words that could replace common words for more complex words, e.g. a thesaurus, in my notebook, so I can use them in writing later on.
2) Combine a list of all literacy techniques, divided into style/genre/characters
3) Memorise the critical vocabulary.

I'm hoping to do all 3^ in the summer so I'm a little bit prepared in September. Any feedback would be appreciated, and I'm also wondering what you would do, looking back now, for summer preparation.
Original post by juliam
I applied in Year 13 because I'm from England and you can't apply in Year 12 here because everyone hoping to go to university does Year 13 (are you living in Scotland? Year 13 there is optional right?). So I applied in Year 13 and was given a conditional offer of AAA to include biology and chemistry.

ah ok so you got conditional based on your predicted grades...which uni accepted you? also what did you get for your ukcat if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by juliam
I printed out all my past papers. I don't think you have to pay to resit - check with your college though. I got a scholarship to a private school for sixth form so they covered all my exam entries :biggrin:

oh hi Julian.
you're really lucky.

i think you misunderstood?

i'm from outside of the UK.
i juggle between two jobs to pay for my school fees, exams and books.

Quick Reply

Latest