The Student Room Group

Outlaw discrimination against fat people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
People who don't fit in one seat should definitely have to pay more. Annoys me no end when I can't sit down on the bus because some fatty is taking up two seats but only paid for one bus ticket.

I think we need to make more of an effort to tackle increasing obesity instead of 'fat phobia' to be honest.

This, as a former fatty I can tell you I agree, and as a slim person now I hate fatties taking up seats. Its so simple to loose weight over 1 year as long as you replace junk with fruit, but you have to be firm.
I find it horrible that fat people are treated as subhumans. How is someone able to get away with calling someone a "fatty"? If that was a racial slur or any other kind of insult associated with someone's traits/beliefs or whatever, it wouldn't be accepted. Are overweight people not human?
Original post by Octohedral
Just thank god you've never been in their position. Being fat is hell - nobody would choose it. Those in that position almost invariably feel like they are trapped in an unbreakable cycle. I have been there, and I have lost weight, and I can tell you laziness doesn't come into it - it is far harder to change the habits of a lifetime than it is to have always been active. And that's without those who are ill.

Making a fat person pay double on a bus will not get you a seat, so what is it supposed to achieve? Humiliation? Stopping fat people using public transport?

I fully agree the best way to tackle the problem is to tackle obesity. Particularly improving compulsory PE in schools.

I understand all of what you've said and I think it's abhorrent that people find obesity is something that's acceptable to mock. But I have to disagree with you on the extra ticket thing. It's not supposed to achieve anything in terms of deterrence. It's just practicality: you take up two seats, you pay for those two seats. If I sit on a train with my suitcase on the seat next to me, people who want to sit there have every right to ask me to move it or buy an extra ticket. If you have such large body mass that you take up two seats, so that I can't physically sit in the one next to you, then why should I have to accept it and think, "well, she's overweight so that's okay."

If it's just a short bus journey then chances are I'll find another seat or happily stand, but if we're talking about a long coach journey or flight, then why should I just have to put up with the fact that you encroach on the space that I paid to sit in? Because it hurts your feelings?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Lady Comstock
I find it abhorrent that we currently allow "fatism/fatophobia" - or discrimination against overweight people - to go unpunished in our society.

How is it fair that many overweight people can be sacked from their jobs, refused service, made to order extra airline seats etc. for the way they look?

Overweight people contribute so much in tax to this country through their buying power and sustain the big snack brands.

We need to outlaw fatophobic discrimination and incitement of hatred towards fat people - just as we do with race, religion, etc.

Being fat in most cases is a life style choice, how is it fair for people to be insulted for being shorted, yet it's taboo or harsh to call someone fat, fat people can change their weight, people can't change their height, so buckle up fat ****s, do something about it.
As an employer, why would you hire someone who shows absolutely no self discipline by letting themselves get fat?
Original post by c471
No it isnt. It is established medical fact.

10 years ago there are medical facts that didn't exist.

Anyway some person's belief isn't really my problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
If you're a smoker, or an alcohol, or drug user, it's socially acceptable to look down on you for your unhealthy lifestyle choices, burden on the public health service, etc.

But being fat should be immune to criticism? Why the hell shouldn't someone who takes up two seats on a bus be made to pay for two seats? Or someone who is too physically unfit to do a certain job to required standards be fired? Ridiculous
Reply 87
Original post by donutaud15
well it has happened. you may think that's impossible but that's your opinion. I don't really have to prove anything, especially as I don't want to give much in terms of medical history.

I've heard all this before from previous GPs and repeating years worth of explanations is a waste of my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be studied for your superhuman powers, we could eradicate starvation in 3rd world countries if we just knew your secret
Original post by bertstare
You should be studied for your superhuman powers, we could eradicate starvation in 3rd world countries if we just knew your secret

doubt people would want several pages worth of medical issues just to eradicate starvation. and I doubt I'm the only one who have had issues like this, most likely the GPs just didn't believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Jjj90
That is a lie.

That is most definitely not a lie actually :smile:
Original post by LewisO28
Being fat in most cases is a life style choice, how is it fair for people to be insulted for being shorted, yet it's taboo or harsh to call someone fat, fat people can change their weight, people can't change their height, so buckle up fat ****s, do something about it.

Its not a lifestyle choice stupid. No one wants to be fat there are some circumstances that made them that way. People who were molested use weight to hide so that nobody looks at them for a chance to touch them again. They also wear long baggy clothes to hide their physique. for some it's an emotional eating disorder. Im sure you know this cuz your dumb ass eats too its gratifying. Some people are lonely and cant find love they turn to food n get fat. Itz a sickness which needs treatment and counseling. YOU need counseling for *******s.
Youre an idiot. Just shut the hell up.

Original post by bertstare
If you're a smoker, or an alcohol, or drug user, it's socially acceptable to look down on you for your unhealthy lifestyle choices, burden on the public health service, etc.

But being fat should be immune to criticism? Why the hell shouldn't someone who takes up two seats on a bus be made to pay for two seats? Or someone who is too physically unfit to do a certain job to required standards be fired? Ridiculous
Youre really dumb. Ive had the most loyal hardworking people work for me who were heavy. Showed up on time while the thinner folks were always late and slacking off. Judge n ye too shall be judged so watch it sucka!

Original post by uktotalgamer
As an employer, why would you hire someone who shows absolutely no self discipline by letting themselves get fat?
Dude u are a ****ing bitch. No one wants to be fat. There are reasons they are that way. Stuff happens in peoples lives where they turn to...whatever their poison is food drugs alcohol. They arenot right in the mind or so tramatized with unfortunate life events. Just because you led a perfect ****ing life where are your parents fed you right and you had healthy food to eat and you had a safe pervert free abused free and good home good for you. Not a lot of people were that lucky
Original post by ckingalt
I can tolerate gays, minorities, disabilities, or mental illness. I can not tolerate fat. Would you like to know why? Because nobody ever won any cool points by standing up for ugly. That is the hypocritical truth of why fat people are openly discriminated.

Edit: I'm not talking about extra seats. If you use two seats you should buy two seats. I'm just talking about the way people treat the obese in general.

sorry dude but you have more ugly points than the gays, disabled, mentally ill and all other minorities put together.
Original post by Octohedral
All other means of transport are more expensive, and it's a reasonable assumption that the morbidly obese can't suddenly start walking long distances without medical issues. Humiliating somebody off public transport and potentially significantly worsening their quality of life so a perfectly healthy young person can have a seat is not something I can spare sympathy for.

So it's acceptable that someone thin can't use the seat they payed for, so as not to upset the larger person?
Original post by Rascacielos
I understand all of what you've said and I think it's abhorrent that people find obesity is something that's acceptable to mock. But I have to disagree with you on the extra ticket thing. It's not supposed to achieve anything in terms of deterrence. It's just practicality: you take up two seats, you pay for those two seats. If I sit on a train with my suitcase on the seat next to me, people who want to sit there have every right to ask me to move it or buy an extra ticket. If you have such large body mass that you take up two seats, so that I can't physically sit in the one next to you, then why should I have to accept it and think, "well, she's overweight so that's okay."

If it's just a short bus journey then chances are I'll find another seat or happily stand, but if we're talking about a long coach journey or flight, then why should I just have to put up with the fact that you encroach on the space that I paid to sit in? Because it hurts your feelings?

Put much better than I could have.
Let's outlaw racism against white people. Scrap affirmative action and positive discrimination.
Race, religion and all those other factors cannot be changes. On the other had a person's body mass can easily be altered.
Original post by Sabertooth
I do actually think attitudes towards fat people need to change. So often on TSR (which is supposedly filled with enlightened youths) I see posters attacking other people for being overweight. People's size is not anyone else's business, fat people are only hurting themselves and I think the hatred is totally unwarranted.

They're not only hurting themselves- they're putting a huge strain on the economy and health services. As well as this, children are at a much higher risk of being overweight if their parents are too, so the next generation is also being affected.

I agree that attitudes towards them need to change, and it should change from being discriminatory to supporting them in losing the weight (rather than just apathetic acceptance).

On a side note, I believe that as long as you consider groups of people as being a "them" and "us", people will always find grounds for discrimination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending