The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit unsure where I stand at the minute! I got AAAB in Maths, Biology, English Lit & Chemistry (B was in Chemistry, 2 UMS away from an A!) and I want to apply to do Economics & Maths hopefully at Edinburgh, but my school didn't offer Further Maths or Economics A levels, so am I still in a good position to be applying? :smile:
Original post by callmethed0ctor
I'm a bit unsure where I stand at the minute! I got AAAB in Maths, Biology, English Lit & Chemistry (B was in Chemistry, 2 UMS away from an A!) and I want to apply to do Economics & Maths hopefully at Edinburgh, but my school didn't offer Further Maths or Economics A levels, so am I still in a good position to be applying? :smile:

Yeah I would probably think so, most courses don't require economics purely because many schools don't offer it, although I'm sure I saw a university that said geography would be ok in place but I can't remember which university that was sorry :s-smilie: same with further maths a lot of schools don't offer it so universities can't really discriminate, although if you want to apply to to lse ucl cambridge etc it may be a good idea to self teach :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
So does not doing AS Further Maths put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by tabim26
So does not doing AS Further Maths put me at a disadvantage?

It'll depend where you want to apply but if you're not sure it's best to email the universities :smile:
Where do you want to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Yeah I would probably think so, most courses don't require economics purely because many schools don't offer it, although I'm sure I saw a university that said geography would be ok in place but I can't remember which university that was sorry :s-smilie: same with further maths a lot of schools don't offer it so universities can't really discriminate, although if you want to apply to to lse ucl cambridge etc it may be a good idea to self teach :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any modules from either Further Maths and Economics I should prioritise? Just it would be tough to try and do my four A2s plus 2 additional AS's on top of everything else in life haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Are there any modules from either Further Maths and Economics I should prioritise? Just it would be tough to try and do my four A2s plus 2 additional AS's on top of everything else in life haha

Erm stats and pure are a big part of econometrics I think, can't see mechanics having much use and decision/discrete maths I absolute rubbish
If you haven't sat economics I'd suggest being familiar with both micro and macro topics which is basically what the whole a level is, so I wouldn't really be able to say where to particularly focus on :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont think it's necessary to do as economics but as fm is good to pick up. for as fm it depends what you'll do in core maths. normally it's c1-4 m1 s1, so if you do that then you're left with fp1 (mandatory) and s2 and d1 which is probably the easiest combination. im not sure if you can do s3 in as fm but i think you can. that would be the best for economics.

It's not a problem, just have someone mention in your reference that you weren't given the opportunity to study either of them.
Original post by Mike_123
Dont think it's necessary to do as economics but as fm is good to pick up. for as fm it depends what you'll do in core maths. normally it's c1-4 m1 s1, so if you do that then you're left with fp1 (mandatory) and s2 and d1 which is probably the easiest combination. im not sure if you can do s3 in as fm but i think you can. that would be the best for economics.

My core maths is C1-4 S1 and S2, so I'll probably try to go through FP1 and S3 in my free time if I can. Thanks for the help! :smile:
Erm stats and pure are a big part of econometrics I think, can't see mechanics having much use and decision/discrete maths I absolute rubbish
If you haven't sat economics I'd suggest being familiar with both micro and macro topics which is basically what the whole a level is, so I wouldn't really be able to say where to particularly focus on :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've looked into the decision maths before and it seems a bit pointless tbh. I enjoy my stats and pure though so I suppose that's a good sign, but outside of the syllabus is there anything specifically missing that is useful? I've looked very briefly at Game Theory but that's mainly because I thought it might be relevant considering how we seem to be nearing world war 3 atm :tongue:
Original post by NikolaT
It's not a problem, just have someone mention in your reference that you weren't given the opportunity to study either of them.

Yeah I was definitely going to do that. I was just concerned I'd be neglected by universities since I chose the sixth form over the actual subjects themselves based on their performance
My core maths is C1-4 S1 and S2, so I'll probably try to go through FP1 and S3 in my free time if I can. Thanks for the help! :smile:

That's alright. You need 3 modules btw!
Original post by Mike_123
That's alright. You need 3 modules btw!

Oh that's very true woops! Could I do FP1, FP2 and S3? I'm not 100% sure on how the combinations are allowed to work.
Yeah, I've looked into the decision maths before and it seems a bit pointless tbh. I enjoy my stats and pure though so I suppose that's a good sign, but outside of the syllabus is there anything specifically missing that is useful? I've looked very briefly at Game Theory but that's mainly because I thought it might be relevant considering how we seem to be nearing world war 3 atm :tongue:

Hmm I don't think so really, although game theory is a good thing to look at, I know someone who talked about it in his econ+man interview at oxford
If you wanted to do further maths AS even though d1 is dull it is an easy A and a very short course to learn quickly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh that's very true woops! Could I do FP1, FP2 and S3? I'm not 100% sure on how the combinations are allowed to work.

I dont think you can take fp2 or fp3 since either are compulsory for a2 fm? i'm not quite sure, but check with your maths teachers
Reply 75
It'll depend where you want to apply but if you're not sure it's best to email the universities :smile:
Where do you want to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning on applying to Surrey, Bristol, QM and the rest not sure. How about you?
Original post by tabim26
I'm planning on applying to Surrey, Bristol, QM and the rest not sure. How about you?

I don't think I've seen anything about those unis wanting further maths so you should be fine, but again email then if you're unsure :smile:

I'm going to apply to cambridge :s-smilie: warwick durham nottingham and leeds woooo
The whole application process seems so soon now gah

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I've seen anything about those unis wanting further maths so you should be fine, but again email then if you're unsure :smile:

I'm going to apply to cambridge :s-smilie: warwick durham nottingham and leeds woooo
The whole application process seems so soon now gah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice choices! I'm going Edinburgh, York, St Andrews, Newcastle and a potential undecided 5th. It's suddenly gotten very, very close and real!
Nice choices! I'm going Edinburgh, York, St Andrews, Newcastle and a potential undecided 5th. It's suddenly gotten very, very close and real!

Ooh it was between edinburgh and leeds for me but edinburgh is pretty far away from where I live haha
Newcastle is such a good city, my sisters there at the moment in uni, it's so much prettier than you'd think :smile:

It is really close but I have to admit I'm pretty excited :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh it was between edinburgh and leeds for me but edinburgh is pretty far away from where I live haha
Newcastle is such a good city, my sisters there at the moment in uni, it's so much prettier than you'd think :smile:

It is really close but I have to admit I'm pretty excited :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I fell in love with Edinburgh when I visited so it's definitely for me! I live in Newcastle, it's pretty exciting here haha!

Yeah I'm looking forward to it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending