The Student Room Group

AS Law exam

I have been getting A's all year in my law class and yesterday when I opened my results I had got a D. I'm very annoyed because I did hours and hours of revision and learnt everything off by heart. Has anyone else been harshly marked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was also predicted A's all year. The lowest grade I got was a high B I opened my results and got a D. What is happening?
Reply 2
Perhaps consider remarking, I know someone who got an E for a subject, got it remarked and actually got an A! (An E was VERY out of character for her...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by fursey
Perhaps consider remarking, I know someone who got an E for a subject, got it remarked and actually got an A! (An E was VERY out of character for her...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am seriously considering getting mine remarked as well. I got a C in History with grade boundaries so high and because I'm attending a fairly rubbish college majority of my friends passed with UUUU (At least half) My English Coursework got graded down for a A to a D and dragged my grade down. My Law one I can't understand at all though. I find History harder than Law though. Law is my strongest subject and I got a lower mark in it. I'm going to get it remarked I think.
I got an A overall in Law this year but i'm still not happy. In unit 1 I got 99/100 so i'm overjoyed with that of course, but then in unit 2 I only got 69/70 which is a C... Is it worth resitting it to increase my chances of getting an A* next year?

I don't know what happened in the 2nd exam, I was so confident afterwards and was certain I'd got at least a B :|, in my mocks I always got around 4 marks off full.
Original post by courtrose
I am seriously considering getting mine remarked as well. I got a C in History with grade boundaries so high and because I'm attending a fairly rubbish college majority of my friends passed with UUUU (At least half) My English Coursework got graded down for a A to a D and dragged my grade down. My Law one I can't understand at all though. I find History harder than Law though. Law is my strongest subject and I got a lower mark in it. I'm going to get it remarked I think.

If you're going to get it remarked perhaps request a photocopy of your paper first and have a look at it to see if you think you could get marked up/ask a teacher. There's no point in paying nearly £40 if you have no chance or could even be marked down. Although, last year(or the year before) 15% - over 55,000 - of remarks were graded up, so it's probably worth the risk.
I'm so confused with my Law grade. I got a B overall; an A in module 1 and a C in module 2. I was absolutely certain I'd get higher than a C. I made model answers for every possible question, each of which contained 3-5 pieces of case law to support what I was saying. I had the answers memorised like the back of my hand by the time the exam came. I'm racking by brains out trying to think what went wrong and I really can't work it out.

I'm sure my model answers were good enough to get higher than a C.
Reply 7
Original post by snikutsmullac
I'm so confused with my Law grade. I got a B overall; an A in module 1 and a C in module 2. I was absolutely certain I'd get higher than a C. I made model answers for every possible question, each of which contained 3-5 pieces of case law to support what I was saying. I had the answers memorised like the back of my hand by the time the exam came. I'm racking by brains out trying to think what went wrong and I really can't work it out.

Well there is the danger that you perhaps didn't answer the question to the exact point they were asking if you used model answers BUT, if you're sure that it should be higher, you can get a photocopy or remark just to make sure! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fursey
Well there is the danger that you perhaps didn't answer the question to the exact point they were asking if you used model answers BUT, if you're sure that it should be higher, you can get a photocopy or remark just to make sure! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam consists of 'theory' and 'application' questions; the potential theory questions never change at all so you can prepare model answers for them. The application may have let me down a little bit but I'm sure I didn't do so badly I couldn't have achieved at least a B.

If you have your paper re-marked, and they re-mark it to a lower score, does the lower score now stand or can you keep the higher score still?

Was this AQA by any chance?
Original post by blackwid0w
Was this AQA by any chance?

AQA module 2 - The Concept of Liability

so yes
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by blackwid0w
If you're going to get it remarked perhaps request a photocopy of your paper first and have a look at it to see if you think you could get marked up/ask a teacher. There's no point in paying nearly £40 if you have no chance or could even be marked down. Although, last year(or the year before) 15% - over 55,000 - of remarks were graded up, so it's probably worth the risk.

I'm going to get it remarked, I'd request a photocopy but I'm not made of money. I have achieved A's in every mock this year . I struggle with History more than Law. As Law is my strongest subject and I got a lower grade in Law than in History. I'd say arguably it's harder to get a good mark in History than it is Law. It makes no sense to me why I'd achieve a higher grade in History when I did worse on the mocks throughout the year High C's/ B's. I got a High C in the History exam, I'd of said that is a true reflection of my ability in History. I can't understand why Law hasn't reflected my ability. I'd blame my tutor, but I did research beyond my tutor, I have even checked my Law books since to see what I missed but I put everything I needed to in the exam what is in the Law books. I'm confident enough to take the risk of getting it remarked, if it comes back lower which I'll be shocked if it does, I'll deal with the consequences. I'll also have to reconsider accepting my unconditional offer to study Law.
AQA module 2 - The Concept of Liability

so yes

I also got a C in the Concept of Liability, but according to my results only just managed to scrape a D in the first exam which is pretty much just facts. It's almost laughable, considering I'd of said the first exam is easier than the second exam.
I also got a C in the Concept of Liability, but according to my results only just managed to scrape a D in the first exam which is pretty much just facts. It's almost laughable, considering I'd of said the first exam is easier than the second exam.

Unit 1 I got 80/100, JUST into the A boundary but I'm happy with it. Unit 1 is just fact-recalling, can't really go too wrong if you know your three topics like the back of your hand. If you're retaking just get the facts ingrained into your subconsciousness! Which topics did you do in the exam?

Unit 2 I got 69/100, one more mark and it would've been a B. Debating whether to re-take or work really hard in A2; I think I'd rather bag a higher score in AS and not risk it because A2 looks so difficult! How did you approach the application questions?
I'm going to get it remarked, I'd request a photocopy but I'm not made of money. I have achieved A's in every mock this year . I struggle with History more than Law. As Law is my strongest subject and I got a lower grade in Law than in History. I'd say arguably it's harder to get a good mark in History than it is Law. It makes no sense to me why I'd achieve a higher grade in History when I did worse on the mocks throughout the year High C's/ B's. I got a High C in the History exam, I'd of said that is a true reflection of my ability in History. I can't understand why Law hasn't reflected my ability. I'd blame my tutor, but I did research beyond my tutor, I have even checked my Law books since to see what I missed but I put everything I needed to in the exam what is in the Law books. I'm confident enough to take the risk of getting it remarked, if it comes back lower which I'll be shocked if it does, I'll deal with the consequences. I'll also have to reconsider accepting my unconditional offer to study Law.

Well I hope you get marked up then :smile:

A lot of people seem to have done worse than expected in the 2nd exam, I felt the most confident with it out of everything :confused:
Unit 1 I got 80/100, JUST into the A boundary but I'm happy with it. Unit 1 is just fact-recalling, can't really go too wrong if you know your three topics like the back of your hand. If you're retaking just get the facts ingrained into your subconsciousness! Which topics did you do in the exam?

Unit 2 I got 69/100, one more mark and it would've been a B. Debating whether to re-take or work really hard in A2; I think I'd rather bag a higher score in AS and not risk it because A2 looks so difficult! How did you approach the application questions?

Unit 1 I got 51/100 Which to me is laughable. I knew four topics like the back of my hand. Included lots of case law and even dates with them. After I had finished, I double checked and counted 72 marks. I counted 72 marks and that was excluding half my points. If it comes to it I will resit modules. I did Judicial Precedent, Statutory Interpretation and Criminal Courts.

Unit 2 I got 60 odd/100 (I can't remember it off the top of my head) I'm just going to work hard in A2. I've started A2 now after that results day. I included so much case law. (In the correct context). I did a practice mock before the exam and scored 96%.
I won Law Student of the year and I was offered work experience with a Solicitors firm who gave me individual Law tasks to complete including litigation, corporate law, (Limited Liability) Property Law (Rights to lights and The landlord and tenant act) and Private Company (Long lasting powers of Attorney). I have also just firmed my unconditional offer for Law for deferred entry for 2015. If I've failed Law, I seriously need to re consider this acceptance.
:frown:

Unit 1 I got 51/100 Which to me is laughable. I knew four topics like the back of my hand. Included lots of case law and even dates with them. After I had finished, I double checked and counted 72 marks. I counted 72 marks and that was excluding half my points. If it comes to it I will resit modules. I did Judicial Precedent, Statutory Interpretation and Criminal Courts.

Unit 2 I got 60 odd/100 (I can't remember it off the top of my head) I'm just going to work hard in A2. I've started A2 now after that results day. I included so much case law. (In the correct context). I did a practice mock before the exam and scored 96%.
I won Law Student of the year and I was offered work experience with a Solicitors firm who gave me individual Law tasks to complete including litigation, corporate law, (Limited Liability) Property Law (Rights to lights and The landlord and tenant act) and Private Company (Long lasting powers of Attorney). I have also just firmed my unconditional offer for Law for deferred entry for 2015. If I've failed Law, I seriously need to re consider this acceptance.
:frown:

I think you should get a re-mark, I think something fishy is going on... I'm tempted to get module two re-marked.

In module 2, I used a few original cases that were not in ANY of the AS textbooks to try and stand out, and show that I have done further reading. Obviously it did not work. When you write about cases in exams, do you write out all of the facts of the case or just write about the legal principle that the case illustrates? I did the latter but I included loads of cases... maybe I should have written more about the facts behind the case.

That's great that you can get work experience. I don't have any way of getting any! What I'm looking into doing is visiting the local magistrates' court and writing about that in my PS. Where is your offer from? Also, it doesn't matter if you fail law, you need no prior knowledge of the law to study for a degree in it :biggrin:
I think you should get a re-mark, I think something fishy is going on... I'm tempted to get module two re-marked.

In module 2, I used a few original cases that were not in ANY of the AS textbooks to try and stand out, and show that I have done further reading. Obviously it did not work. When you write about cases in exams, do you write out all of the facts of the case or just write about the legal principle that the case illustrates? I did the latter but I included loads of cases... maybe I should have written more about the facts behind the case.

That's great that you can get work experience. I don't have any way of getting any! What I'm looking into doing is visiting the local magistrates' court and writing about that in my PS. Where is your offer from? Also, it doesn't matter if you fail law, you need no prior knowledge of the law to study for a degree in it :biggrin:

I think something is going on as well. Look no further then Gove. I can understand my Literature grade because of my coursework getting marked down from an A to a D. History reflected my ability especially with the grade boundaries so high, but my Law grade I just can't get my head around. I added so many cases, normal ones and original. I wrote the case, my Law tutor advised me to include the case name only to save time. In some I still give a brief description though. To be honest I think you could of recited the AS AQA text book and included every case known to man and you would probably still be marked down, because Gove and examiners are pric*s.

Well I got put forward by my college and we had to put forward our application and then sit an interview. I was excited and so confident, results day has put me down so much. I did my personal statement without any help from anybody that's why all my tutors were shocked when I told them I had an unconditional offer at AS. It is Lancaster University, it's not in the Top Ten or a Russell group. I picked it for more reasons than just it's place in the league tables. I have read that but still I worry about going to study Law if I fail Law. I'm actually giving myself migraines over thinking everything.
I think something is going on as well. Look no further then Gove. I can understand my Literature grade because of my coursework getting marked down from an A to a D. History reflected my ability especially with the grade boundaries so high, but my Law grade I just can't get my head around. I added so many cases, normal ones and original. I wrote the case, my Law tutor advised me to include the case name only to save time. In some I still give a brief description though. To be honest I think you could of recited the AS AQA text book and included every case known to man and you would probably still be marked down, because Gove and examiners are pric*s.

Well I got put forward by my college and we had to put forward our application and then sit an interview. I was excited and so confident, results day has put me down so much. I did my personal statement without any help from anybody that's why all my tutors were shocked when I told them I had an unconditional offer at AS. It is Lancaster University, it's not in the Top Ten or a Russell group. I picked it for more reasons than just it's place in the league tables. I have read that but still I worry about going to study Law if I fail Law. I'm actually giving myself migraines over thinking everything.

Oh... I think you have to do a little more than just write the name of the case, in the examiners report it said people were not using the cases effectively, so I made sure to explicitly show what legal principle the case illustrated. I really don't know what to say. I think I'll definitely get a re-mark, if I can save myself the trouble of one less exam next year, I'm happy to :smile:

Clearly you have the aptitude to study law if you can get an unconditional offer from a university during your AS year, without any help from tutors... that is unheard of. Don't put yourself down!
Oh... I think you have to do a little more than just write the name of the case, in the examiners report it said people were not using the cases effectively, so I made sure to explicitly show what legal principle the case illustrated. I really don't know what to say. I think I'll definitely get a re-mark, if I can save myself the trouble of one less exam next year, I'm happy to :smile:

Clearly you have the aptitude to study law if you can get an unconditional offer from a university during your AS year, without any help from tutors... that is unheard of. Don't put yourself down!

Well I said why the case was relevant to Law. I meant I didn't explain the case full, the scenario. My tutor asked to either right the case name and why it's relevant to Law or the scenario, not both and I'll be annoyed if she has wrongly advised me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending