The Student Room Group

Priority remarking

On results day it appeared that I had fallen short of my offer so the school sent off some of my papers for priority remarking. Since this has happened I have received an offer yet heard nothing from my school about when/how my results will get back to me.

As its the holidays there isn't anyone in school for me to contact so I'm unsure how I will find out these results.

has anyone else had a similar experience to mine, and if so what was the process that followed?
Reply 1
Original post by jenthorpee95
On results day it appeared that I had fallen short of my offer so the school sent off some of my papers for priority remarking. Since this has happened I have received an offer yet heard nothing from my school about when/how my results will get back to me.

As its the holidays there isn't anyone in school for me to contact so I'm unsure how I will find out these results.

has anyone else had a similar experience to mine, and if so what was the process that followed?

Have you checked the information that came with your results? This will probably tell you. If not then I presume the school has an email address and telephone number for you so they will contact you as soon as they hear.
Original post by Compost
Have you checked the information that came with your results? This will probably tell you. If not then I presume the school has an email address and telephone number for you so they will contact you as soon as they hear.

Hello 'Compost' - excuse the bombardment of questions but the fact that you're rather an excellent source of information on the subject encourages me to ask lots of questions

I'm having 4 papers priority remarked as well as having copies of the papers sent back 3 from OCR (2 chemistry and 1 bio) and 1 from EDEXCEL (history). Is it likely that the same examiners will mark the papers or that different examiners will look at the initial mark and therefore be reluctant to change the grade, if it meant undermining the first examiners opinion? Will the fact that I'm having multiple remarks have any influence on their likelihood to remark some?

And lastly, purely from your personal experience, (and as naive a question this may sound), are there any examiners you have encountered that have been slap dash with marks or maybe a little less accurate - with special emphasis on the fact that a student handwriting is unclear? i.e.. an essay might be a little harder to read or a chemistry exam may be a little less clear due to poor handwriting and poor presentation? Following this, is the ''remark examiner'' more likely to put a little more time and effort into reading this (and the poor handwriting) than the first examiner, considering the smaller cohort of papers he will have to mark....?

Many thanks in advance
Reply 3
Original post by deatheater4134
I'm having 4 papers priority remarked as well as having copies of the papers sent back 3 from OCR (2 chemistry and 1 bio) and 1 from EDEXCEL (history). Is it likely that the same examiners will mark the papers or that different examiners will look at the initial mark and therefore be reluctant to change the grade, if it meant undermining the first examiners opinion? Will the fact that I'm having multiple remarks have any influence on their likelihood to remark some?

It will not be the same examiner. Exam boards normally use senior examiners for re-marks so you should get a reliable answer (though may still not agree with it).

Hard to answer the next bit. I don't see any evidence that AQA and Edexcel are swayed by the previous mark. I'm less convinced by OCR, but we have had papers change by 15%.

I am fairly certain that the markers will have no idea that you have ordered multiple re-marks. Markers are seldom senior examiners for more than 1 unit so will not see more than 1 paper.

Original post by deatheater4134
And lastly, purely from your personal experience, (and as naive a question this may sound), are there any examiners you have encountered that have been slap dash with marks or maybe a little less accurate - with special emphasis on the fact that a student handwriting is unclear? i.e.. an essay might be a little harder to read or a chemistry exam may be a little less clear due to poor handwriting and poor presentation? Following this, is the ''remark examiner'' more likely to put a little more time and effort into reading this (and the poor handwriting) than the first examiner, considering the smaller cohort of papers he will have to mark....?

Over the years we have had some papers with some very poor marking - probably in both directions but we never query the surprisingly good marks so we never know for sure.

I think marking exam scripts does make you good at reading appalling handwriting, but there must be days when markers do not persist as long as they might. After all, they are paid by the paper and if one takes 10 times as long to decipher as others it is human nature only to try for (say) 5x as long and then move on. However, I think most exam boards have a policy where the hard to read scripts can be sent off to someone else so the time pressure element doesn't come in to play.
Original post by Compost
It will not be the same examiner. Exam boards normally use senior examiners for re-marks so you should get a reliable answer (though may still not agree with it).

Hard to answer the next bit. I don't see any evidence that AQA and Edexcel are swayed by the previous mark. I'm less convinced by OCR, but we have had papers change by 15%.

I am fairly certain that the markers will have no idea that you have ordered multiple re-marks. Markers are seldom senior examiners for more than 1 unit so will not see more than 1 paper.

Over the years we have had some papers with some very poor marking - probably in both directions but we never query the surprisingly good marks so we never know for sure.

I think marking exam scripts does make you good at reading appalling handwriting, but there must be days when markers do not persist as long as they might. After all, they are paid by the paper and if one takes 10 times as long to decipher as others it is human nature only to try for (say) 5x as long and then move on. However, I think most exam boards have a policy where the hard to read scripts can be sent off to someone else so the time pressure element doesn't come in to play.

Many thanks for your swift response
Reply 5
Thanks for your help and also your second answer! they were all questions that I too was keen to know :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't worry about remarks being influenced by your original as i don't think they will see your original score per question. If im right, markers are trained to mark a specific question and not the whole paper (i may be wrong but that was what I have been lead to believe).
Original post by MathsGirl
I wouldn't worry about remarks being influenced by your original as i don't think they will see your original score per question. If im right, markers are trained to mark a specific question and not the whole paper (i may be wrong but that was what I have been lead to believe).

Ive heard that form somewhere also - How long do you reckon it'll take for a priority remark to come back?
I'm sorry. I've only been teaching a year. I've not yet had to experience priority marking.

What I will say is that if its a school and not a 6th form then you can guarantee teachers in school on Thursday for GCSE results and they will have access to their emails and will be checking them because of the post exam situations. If you email your exams officer they should be available during this period as its kind of part of their job to be available post results.

Quick Reply

Latest