The Student Room Group

A2 subjects choice for medicine

Hi.
my daughter is going to study medicine. Her AS subjects: chemistry, biology, math, English LAN and lit, science in society.

her A2 subjects : chemistry, biology! math and economics.

How do you think of her choice of economics? Is this choice a sign of no strong will for medicine? Or just an over-consideration by me?
Reply 1
Those subjects seem fine honestly.
I think those subjects are completely fine.
Reply 3
Original post by VK96
Those subjects seem fine honestly.

Hope you are right. Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think those subjects are completely fine.

Thank you for your very positive answer.it seems my thought gone too far.
Original post by caisaw
Thank you for your very positive answer.it seems my thought gone too far.

One thing I was wondering, you don't mention an Economics AS Level. Is she doing the whole Economics A Level in one year?
Her choices are great, she has bio, chem and maths and the fourth is basically just preference. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Chief Wiggum
One thing I was wondering, you don't mention an Economics AS Level. Is she doing the whole Economics A Level in one year?

Just at AS level , I think as well as I hope.
Reply 8
Original post by paradoxicalme
Her choices are great, she has bio, chem and maths and the fourth is basically just preference. :smile:

Thanks!

With your opinion, not any reservation.
Original post by caisaw
Hi.
my daughter is going to study medicine. Her AS subjects: chemistry, biology, math, English LAN and lit, science in society.

How do you think of her choice of economics? Is this choice a sign of no strong will for medicine? Or just an over-consideration by me?

A lot of med schools like to see subjects other than the 3 science/maths as it shows a candidate is more well-rounded and can deal with other types of evaluation/analysis/study than is necessary for a-level science and maths. A medicine degree has non-science components (psych, ethics, medical law, communication skills, practical skills, etc.) so other a-levels help prepare you for that.
Reply 10
Original post by theresheglows
A lot of med schools like to see subjects other than the 3 science/maths as it shows a candidate is more well-rounded and can deal with other types of evaluation/analysis/study than is necessary for a-level science and maths. A medicine degree has non-science components (psych, ethics, medical law, communication skills, practical skills, etc.) so other a-levels help prepare you for that.

Exactly, hope such choice will become a plus when the occasion is okay.
Reply 11
Original post by caisaw
Hi.

No problems as such they're good choices but taking up economics has no real bbenefits and adds to work load so only if she's very keen on it it worth it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest