The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
Southampton don't look at AS results, just predicted. If you can be predicted BBC or above and then get that you'll be just fine as long as you do well at the interview :smile:

I wouldn't bother with RS. Getting a higher AS grade doesn't make up for missing a grade in A2. We've had someone this year get ACC and an A in an EPQ. Their offer was BBC and the uni have said no. Don't risk stretching yourself too thin for A2.

Thank you I really really want to get into Southampton for bm6 so I'll try my hardest and thank you again neostigmine this and you other comments have been a great help but also what grades to people typically have in the bm6 course
:smile:
Original post by medicinehope
Thank you I really really want to get into Southampton for bm6 so I'll try my hardest and thank you again neostigmine this and you other comments have been a great help but also what grades to people typically have in the bm6 course

There is a huge range because Southampton don't care what you get as long as you get the minimum. In my year there were CCC (the offer that year) all the way to AAAA. It's not about grades.

And also does everything for bm6 have to be submitted by October like other med courses?:tongue:
And also does everything for bm6 have to be submitted by October like other med courses?:tongue:

Absolutely yes. It is a medicine application. It counts as one of your 4 choices for med too.
Hey could you apply for BM6 if you took your A-levels over 3 years??
Original post by shibucool
Hey could you apply for BM6 if you took your A-levels over 3 years??

If you have very good extenuating circumstances but not usually no. :no:
I retook my AS levels cause I wanted to do different subjects, although I redid 2 of the subjects cause I also failed the year. I just finished AS again and going into A2 in September. Can I not apply because of this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lovekitty123
I retook my AS levels cause I wanted to do different subjects, although I redid 2 of the subjects cause I also failed the year. I just finished AS again and going into A2 in September. Can I not apply because of this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects did you do first time round and what are you doing now?

The issue usually arises when you don't take 3 a levels inside two years which it looks like you won't have. They do accept resits for BM6 but only if there are exceptional circumstances - click here and go to Retakes
What subjects did you do first time round and what are you doing now?

The issue usually arises when you don't take 3 a levels inside two years which it looks like you won't have. They do accept resits for BM6 but only if there are exceptional circumstances - click here and go to Retakes

Thank you for the reply:smile:
And first year I took chemistry, maths, psychology and media BTEC. I failed the year and retook and changed to maths, chemistry, biology.
Does that mean I don't stand a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And first year I took chemistry, maths, psychology and media BTEC. I failed the year and retook and changed to maths, chemistry, biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will have taken 3 years to do chem and maths :sadnod:. Do you have any extenuating circumstances?
You will have taken 3 years to do chem and maths :sadnod:. Do you have any extenuating circumstances?

During the first year, my grandma was really ill and passed away, does that count? But this happened at my home country, so if I'll need to prove it, how can I do so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
During the first year, my grandma was really ill and passed away, does that count? But this happened at my home country, so if I'll need to prove it, how can I do so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could certainly try. However they can only make decisions after you apply, so you won't know until afterwards.
You could certainly try. However they can only make decisions after you apply, so you won't know until afterwards.

Do you think it's worth a try? I meet the entry criteria but my GCSES aren't that great, 1A, the rest Bs and some Cs and a D I'm French and geography. And I think my predicted grades for a2 will be ABC/BBC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it's worth a try? I meet the entry criteria but my GCSES aren't that great, 1A, the rest Bs and some Cs and a D I'm French and geography. And I think my predicted grades for a2 will be ABC/BBC

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can't hurt to try as it only takes up 1 of your UCAS options. Southampton ask for their minimum requirements but aren't interested in how far over you are :smile: It's all about PS and interview :smile:
It can't hurt to try as it only takes up 1 of your UCAS options. Southampton ask for their minimum requirements but aren't interested in how far over you are :smile: It's all about PS and interview :smile:

I think I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning and tell them my situation and see what they say?

My only chance to do medicine, which is my dream, is through foundation or going abroad, so I'm just hoping they'll give me a chance:frown:

But thank you for your help:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'm going to give them a call tomorrow morning and tell them my situation and see what they say?

My only chance to do medicine, which is my dream, is through foundation or going abroad, so I'm just hoping they'll give me a chance:frown:

But thank you for your help:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of people have done the same and they keep repeating that they can only decide after recieving your application. Can't hurt to call though.
Lots of people have done the same and they keep repeating that they can only decide after recieving your application. Can't hurt to call though.

Does that mean if my personal statement is really good, I could have a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does that mean if my personal statement is really good, I could have a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if they accept your reasons for needing 3 years of a levels.
Only if they accept your reasons for needing 3 years of a levels.

Where would I mention my reason? on my personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are your AS grades this time around?

Latest

Trending

Trending