The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing

These are the qualifications I have so far:
GCSE: A*A*A*A*AAAABB
AS: AABB
Overall A-level: BCC (so I messed up my second year completely somehow), I was predicted AAA too..

I had applied to both Manchester University and Lancaster university for Biology, as they were in the top 10 and was rejected due to my poor grades. I've applied to Manchester Met through clearing for biology, they've accepted me and I'm on the course with the study year abroad option too which I didn't apply for with Manchester/Lancaster. Manchester is also local to me. I just feel like I'm going to be judged because the university isn't highly ranked.

I really tried with my A2's, I revised every single day for hours, doing every past paper including old spec, textbook questions, attending all revision sessions, extra reading, I even got A/A* in the mocks but I suppose I blanked in the exam and here I am.. Will it matter if I go to Man Met?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magenta96
Overall A-level: BCC (so I messed up my second year completely somehow), I was predicted AAA too..

I had applied to both Manchester University and Lancaster university for Biology, as they were in the top 10 and was rejected due to my poor grades. I've applied to Manchester Met through clearing for biology, they've accepted me and I'm on the course with the study year abroad option too which I didn't apply for with Manchester/Lancaster. Manchester is also local to me. I just feel like I'm going to be judged because the university isn't highly ranked.

I really tried with my A2's, I revised every single day for hours, doing every past paper including old spec, textbook questions, attending all revision sessions, extra reading, I even got A/A* in the mocks but I suppose I blanked in the exam and here I am.. Will it matter if I go to Man Met?

Don't take this the wrong way but if the part I have bolded is true, you are most likely doing the right thing by going to Met than Manchester. If you worked really hard and got those grades, you might struggle at a uni that wants students at A grade levels, which is probably not a very nice feeling.
Reply 2
Original post by infairverona
Don't take this the wrong way but if the part I have bolded is true, you are most likely doing the right thing by going to Met than Manchester. If you worked really hard and got those grades, you might struggle at a uni that wants students at A grade levels, which is probably not a very nice feeling.

Yes, I've considered this too. However, I just think what about the really good mock results? How did I get A's in the subjects at AS, only to ruin them at A2? So I feel like I do have the ability.. but it's just a bit unpredictable if that makes sense. It does seem sensible going to Met, the only issue is its status, that's my only issue regarding it.
Yes, I've considered this too. However, I just think what about the really good mock results? How did I get A's in the subjects at AS, only to ruin them at A2? So I feel like I do have the ability.. but it's just a bit unpredictable if that makes sense. It does seem sensible going to Met, the only issue is its status, that's my only issue regarding it.

There's quite a step up from AS to A2 in science subjects,so I've heard. Just think about the jump from A2 to uni level, and if you're at a uni out of your depth, how awful that would be? I don't know about the mocks, I did better in my A2 mocks than in the A2 exams too. Probably because mocks are more isolated and not all of your exams at once, unlike the real things, but uni is like that too
Reply 4
There's quite a step up from AS to A2 in science subjects,so I've heard. Just think about the jump from A2 to uni level, and if you're at a uni out of your depth, how awful that would be? I don't know about the mocks, I did better in my A2 mocks than in the A2 exams too. Probably because mocks are more isolated and not all of your exams at once, unlike the real things, but uni is like that too

Yes you're right, I suppose I could look at it positively and just try my hardest to get a first in my degree at Man Met, I mean, I do get the option to spend a year abroad or a year in industry which should help boost my employment prospects. I'll try and get loads of work experience/voluntary work done too so it's not too bad. :smile:
I got BCC too (also working my arse off, though I sodded up a couple of exams) and if I'm honest you could possibly aim a bit higher than Manchester Met. I mean I've got into Kent which is still a pretty good uni. Although to be fair sit was my firm. However I believe you could try for a slightly higher up university. I'm not trying to be a snob, just basing this on what I know, which is my personal experience and league tables.

TBH, I think this is bull. The OP is clearly capable of doing well (proven by solid GCSE's and AS levels), but under performed at A2s. These things happen (I had a similar experience, did well at AS but bombed a few of my A2 papers, although I still got into my firm without issue so I wasn't too bothered). I'm currently sitting on a high 2:1 average going into my third year and doing a lot better than ones I know who got A*s in English Literature (I study English and Linguistics). I'm also going to be applying to MA programmes this year, which my tutor has encouraged me to do.

OP, if you're not 100% happy with Manchester Met, do some research and see if Manchester, Lancaster etc would accept you if you resat the exams, and take a gap year. Why sell yourself short? You might as well give it a go and if you don't go up, go to Man Met the following year. You don't want to always be wondering 'what if I...'

If you're happy enough with Man Met, go. If you do well, maybe see if you could transfer over to Manchester? Or stay if you're happy there. I don't know if going to an ex-poly will affect your career choices as I study in a completely different academic field, so hopefully others will be able to advise you better in that regard.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you! :hugs: x

x
If I was you i'd use my As levels as a platform to resit the second year of my A levels. You will probably do better the second time around, just make sure you put in the same effort or more. I think almost everyone i've spoken to has said (including me) has said that they have found university easier than A level, not because of the difficulty of the content but because the learning style suits them much more.
Reply 8

I'd take league tables with a pinch of salt tbqh. Lots of people that went to ex-poly's get perfectly good jobs!
Reply 9

Sorry to hear about your grades, I couldn't achieve what I was predicted either.
But there are still quite a few vacancies in clearing for biology/biology related courses and there are some really good unis on there too. For example Cardiff, Leicester, liverpool, queen mary, royal Holloway and Southampton just to name a few. They might not accept your grades but If you truly aren't happy with the uni you're going to then you should at least try.
Also, don't worry about what others think of the uni you're going to, I used to feel the same way about the uni I applied for, I felt people will look down on me because its not a Russell group and its not ranked very highly on the league tables, but Iv'e gotten over it now because after doing some research I know its a good place for me and my course.
Reply 10
Original post by DanielJLonsdale
If I was you i'd use my As levels as a platform to resit the second year of my A levels. You will probably do better the second time around, just make sure you put in the same effort or more. I think almost everyone i've spoken to has said (including me) has said that they have found university easier than A level, not because of the difficulty of the content but because the learning style suits them much more.

I understand, the obvious option for me would be to resit, but I just feel like I'd just get low grades again, I mean I put so much effort into them this time round and I didn't expect these results, so what if it happens again? It'd be like I just wasted another year, when in that year I could've completed the first year of my biology degree at a lesser university. My parents would probably freak out too if they knew I was retaking the year lol, they're trying to get me off to university as quick as possible it seems!
Reply 11
Original post by snailsareslimy
TBH, I think this is bull. The OP is clearly capable of doing well (proven by solid GCSE's and AS levels), but under performed at A2s. These things happen (I had a similar experience, did well at AS but bombed a few of my A2 papers, although I still got into my firm without issue so I wasn't too bothered). I'm currently sitting on a high 2:1 average going into my third year and doing a lot better than ones I know who got A*s in English Literature (I study English and Linguistics). I'm also going to be applying to MA programmes this year, which my tutor has encouraged me to do.

OP, if you're not 100% happy with Manchester Met, do some research and see if Manchester, Lancaster etc would accept you if you resat the exams, and take a gap year. Why sell yourself short? You might as well give it a go and if you don't go up, go to Man Met the following year. You don't want to always be wondering 'what if I...'

If you're happy enough with Man Met, go. If you do well, maybe see if you could transfer over to Manchester? Or stay if you're happy there. I don't know if going to an ex-poly will affect your career choices as I study in a completely different academic field, so hopefully others will be able to advise you better in that regard.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you! :hugs: x

Thank you! I understand, the obvious option for me would be to resit, but I just feel like I'd just get low grades again, I mean I put so much effort into them this time round and I didn't expect these results, so what if it happens again? It'd be like I just wasted another year, when in that year I could've completed the first year of my biology degree at a lesser university. My parents would probably freak out too if they knew I was retaking the year lol, they're trying to get me off to university as quick as possible it seems!

I mean, a biology degree is STILL a biology degree at the end of the day, I just won't be studying it at the best place I potentially could have done.

I mean, a biology degree is STILL a biology degree at the end of the day, I just won't be studying it at the best place I potentially could have done.

I think this is your best approach - I have looked on whatuni and there is nowhere "better" with the grades that you have

It looks like you have a course that interests you in the part of the country that you want to be - do well in that course and you will still have good prospects
Reply 13
Original post by qwerty73
Sorry to hear about your grades, I couldn't achieve what I was predicted either.
But there are still quite a few vacancies in clearing for biology/biology related courses and there are some really good unis on there too. For example Cardiff, Leicester, liverpool, queen mary, royal Holloway and Southampton just to name a few. They might not accept your grades but If you truly aren't happy with the uni you're going to then you should at least try.
Also, don't worry about what others think of the uni you're going to, I used to feel the same way about the uni I applied for, I felt people will look down on me because its not a Russell group and its not ranked very highly on the league tables, but Iv'e gotten over it now because after doing some research I know its a good place for me and my course.

Thank you, yes I suppose if I do go to a lower ranked university, there will be a bit less pressure on me to do well, although I will try hard anyway obviously.
Reply 14
Original post by TenOfThem
I think this is your best approach - I have looked on whatuni and there is nowhere "better" with the grades that you have

It looks like you have a course that interests you in the part of the country that you want to be - do well in that course and you will still have good prospects

Thank you, I guess I'm just trying to make the best out of a bit of an unexpected, unfortunate situation. It's location is ideal and I really, really wanted to study abroad, which I'll finally get the option to do with this course at Manchester Met, (I'd have to have achieved very highly in my A levels AND the first year of my degree to be allowed to study abroad at Manchester/Lancaster University, so there's less pressure now. :smile:
Thank you, I guess I'm just trying to make the best out of a bit of an unexpected, unfortunate situation. It's location is ideal and I really, really wanted to study abroad, which I'll finally get the option to do with this course at Manchester Met, (I'd have to have achieved very highly in my A levels AND the first year of my degree to be allowed to study abroad at Manchester/Lancaster University, so there's less pressure now. :smile:

Reading this post I have one thing to say

Congratulations on receiving an offer for a course that seems to suit you so well :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by TenOfThem
Reading this post I have one thing to say

Congratulations on receiving an offer for a course that seems to suit you so well :biggrin:

Thank you very much. :smile:
Reply 17
Am I the only person who think you could just be unlucky for one time ? I bad grades at AS and then I got A*A*B in A2 by resiting....

did **** in my final year exams..finding science in uni grand so far.
I was similar to this gurl.got a decent gcse..then flopped then recovered...sorted myself out.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
did **** in my final year exams..finding science in uni grand so far.
I was similar to this gurl.got a decent gcse..then flopped then recovered...sorted myself out.

Fair enough, idk personally i find it worrying when someone says they worked really hard and then flopped quite badly. Obviously sometimes it can be a fluke but you don't tend to see lots of people saying yeah I worked really hard and still did badly, usually people have some kind of excuse or knew they didn't work as hard as needed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending