The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paradoxicalme
Then if you're doing wooden furniture design, sure. If you're doing business management, Bucks isn't going to get you anywhere fast.

Business management isn't a real degree
Reply 21
OP is an ignorant ****.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Relative to the rest of the world, I would say yes.

On a world stage you could include LSE and arguably UCL but other than that.. the other institutions don't hold nearly as much clout.

What are your reasons for believing this?

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/20/education/20iht-SReducEmploy20-graphic.html?ref=education

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/10/25/world/asia/25iht-sreducemerging25-graphic.html?ref=nf
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ben_Dover

You can have that prejudice if you wish but most of the leading universities joined that particular bandwagon years ago.

Moreover the employment statistics for arts degrees from good universities are starting to look worrying compared with degrees in business from weaker ones. That may be purely the effect of the economic situation over the last few years but it may well be that businessmen are tiring of offering grad scheme positions to folk who can't read a balance sheet.

For example you have 37% of Manchester's history graduates in professional or managerial employment 6 months after graduation; you have 38% of Manchester Met's business studies graduates in the same position. However if you look at the quality of the intake for those degres, there would be no comparison between the two.
i'd say oxford, cambridge, ucl and imperial are on the world stage, but little else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
You can have that prejudice if you wish but most of the leading universities joined that particular bandwagon years ago.

Moreover the employment statistics for arts degrees from good universities are starting to look worrying compared with degrees in business from weaker ones. That may be purely the effect of the economic situation over the last few years but it may well be that businessmen are tiring of offering grad scheme positions to folk who can't read a balance sheet.

For example you have 37% of Manchester's history graduates in professional or managerial employment 6 months after graduation; you have 38% of Manchester Met's business studies graduates in the same position. However if you look at the quality of the intake for those degres, there would be no comparison between the two.

A history degree has no real prospects...it is a useless degree
Original post by tanyapotter
i'd say oxford, cambridge, ucl and imperial are on the world stage, but little else.

What proportion of the 425,000 (2012/3 figures) overseas students studying in the UK do you think study at those four universities?
What university students think the university rankings are, if you're interested:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2799301&p=49487013#post49487013
Original post by TheGuyReturns
What university students think the university rankings are, if you're interested:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2799301&p=49487013#post49487013

hahah

78% of Imperial College students think Imperial is at the same level as Cambridge
19.3% of Cambridge students think Cambridge is at the same level as Imperial
No. And in all honesty, you may find yourself run into trouble finding jobs with an Oxbridge degree if they're smaller companies - the person who hires you will also be wary of you taking their job from them a year down the line.
Original post by thefailure
On the world stage and in the eyes of foreign employers.

@ your username:

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...

It is not all about going to cambridge or oxford....do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.

Cambridge, UCL and Imperial achieved higher scores than Oxford this year. The only reason LSE aren't there is because they don't cover all subjects, only the Social sciences and Maths. Whereas Warwick would be up there but they're fairly new and don't have that International prestige yet. However Id say the top 6 in the UK (Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Warwick) are all in the Top 12 in the world.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
[QUOTE="paradoxicalme;49485179"]
Original post by diggy

I'm a girl, but thanks. :biggrin:

Lol sorry I cant see genders on the phone app

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by thefailure
On the world stage and in the eyes of foreign employers.

Absolutely not. UCL, Imperial, LSE, Kings, etc have great reputations.

Guess my history degree I'll get in 3 years time from Oxford will be "useless" and have "no real prospects". Oh well.
Reply 35

There's no need to belittle other peoples degrees.
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
Guess my history degree I'll get in 3 years time from Oxford will be "useless" and have "no real prospects". Oh well.

Original post by paradoxicalme
Nope.

It's not the uni itself that matters most, it's what you do there.

Also, some universities that are generally considered crappy have specialities such as primary education or games development.

However, there are limits. You're not going to convince me that Bucks New Uni is a good university (the irony that it's currently advertised on the top of the screen).

This depends. For some careers, the subject you study (within reason) at university makes no difference to your employability. In law, for example, it does not particularly matter whether you do English or astrophysics. Your institution and grades are more important.
Original post by Surrey Bubble15

Have a look at the stats.

The average unemployment rate for people aged 18-24 is 14.9%. The average unemployment rate for recent Oxford history graduates is 11%. There is clearly a 3.9% advantage from being an Oxford history graduate.

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007774FT-V100/ReturnTo/Search
Original post by nulli tertius
Have a look at the stats.

The average unemployment rate for people aged 18-24 is 14.9%. The average unemployment rate for recent Oxford history graduates is 11%. There is clearly a 3.9% advantage from being an Oxford history graduate.

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007774FT-V100/ReturnTo/Search

What is your point? I know those statistics, but a large part of it is down to what fields Oxford history graduates choose to go into. It's not like people at the LSE (even LSE history graduates) who bum investment banking.

Latest

Trending

Trending