The Student Room Group

Is this a good a level combination for a history degree?

Maths, Physics, History & Government and Politics

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Nikhilm

Thanks

Maths and Physics aren't particularly relevant, but the other two sound great. Have you thought about swapping them for essay-based subjects like English or Law?
Original post by Revel
Maths and Physics aren't particularly relevant, but the other two sound great. Have you thought about swapping them for essay-based subjects like English or Law?

The thing is I don't particularly like any other essay based subjects, so I was wondering if like a 2:2 split of science and art subjects would be acceptable?
Reply 3
Original post by Nikhilm
The thing is I don't particularly like any other essay based subjects, so I was wondering if like a 2:2 split of science and art subjects would be acceptable?

I'm sure they'd be acceptable :smile:
I'm sure they'd be acceptable does your school do economics that may be a good option
Original post by Nikhilm

Thanks

I am doing History and have chosen Philosophy, Biology, History and English Literature. You should have done two proper essay subjects, then Maths would have been fine or Physics! I would change Politics but it's up to you.
Probably fine, depending on where you want to go. Gov & politics isn't quite up there with things like English and History, but it's by no means a soft one.

Another of the historians in my year took three science a levels, so you can go the more sciency way if you're statistically minded. There's a lot of quantitative history which needs to be done, so if you frame your application in those terms I'm sure that it will appeal.
The History A Level will stand you in good stead for a History degree and the Government & Politics will help massively as it will give you an understanding of all the historical reforms and laws that you will have to reference. I would say that Maths and Physics are extremely good choices as both are impressive A-Levels and show that you can study a variety of subjects mixed between numerical, scientific and humanities and that always looks great on a CV! If you can get some work experience in a museum relating to history that would be an added bonus for your uni application too!
Reply 8
What about history, biology, maths and psychology? Would unis prefer a more rigorous 4th subject?
Reply 9
Beware of personal prejudices on this board. If you enjoy these subjects then go ahead and do them. Doing Maths and Physics gives you the opportunity down the line to change your mind should you so wish. History is the only A level History course admissions officers are actually interested in.
Maths and physics would give you the opportunity to develop a strong background in statistics, which very few historians actually have. Developing good essay skills in the other two subjects will help as well. To be honest, the only subject I would swap out would be government and politics to do a language and then you're an almost perfect all-rounder. But government and politics will be helpful in its in own way as well so not to worry.
Original post by JayJay-C19
I am doing History and have chosen Philosophy, Biology, History and English Literature. You should have done two proper essay subjects, then Maths would have been fine or Physics! I would change Politics but it's up to you.

Hi, thanks for your reply!
What's a 'proper' essay subject? I don't particularly like english literature or english language so I am not sure what other traditional and 'proper' essay subjects I can take.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nikhilm

Thanks

Yeah that list is absolutely fine especially for the essay based ones I would consider English Language & Literature as an alternative to maybe G&P. Law is a pretty bad choice and isn't held in high esteem by credible universities so I would stick with those options because that means we are together for 3 lesson :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest