The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LSE and SGUL gradates make more money than Oxford and Cambridge on average.
Original post by XMaramena
No. And in all honesty, you may find yourself run into trouble finding jobs with an Oxbridge degree if they're smaller companies - the person who hires you will also be wary of you taking their job from them a year down the line.

What a load of tosh
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
Guess my history degree I'll get in 3 years time from Oxford will be "useless" and have "no real prospects". Oh well.

It's an open ended degree....unless you go into the relevant field, where job prospects are limited, a history degree isn't exactly highly sought
What is your point? I know those statistics, but a large part of it is down to what fields Oxford history graduates choose to go into. It's not like people at the LSE (even LSE history graduates) who bum investment banking.

I thought your earlier post indicated a sense of expectation (if not entitlement) that is no longer shared by the large number of unemployed and underemployed Oxbridge graduates.

Really the choice of career doesn't really impact on these figures. Those 11% are folk signing on.
Reply 44
Original post by misssbs18
LSE and SGUL gradates make more money than Oxford and Cambridge on average.

A higher proportion of Oxbridge graduates go into further study and a ridiculous number of LSE students will go into finance. Hardly a relevant statistic.
Original post by Ben_Dover
It's an open ended degree....unless you go into the relevant field, where job prospects are limited, a history degree isn't exactly highly sought

You do a STEM subject don't you?
Original post by nulli tertius
I thought your earlier post indicated a sense of expectation (if not entitlement) that is no longer shared by the large number of unemployed and underemployed Oxbridge graduates.

Really the choice of career doesn't really impact on these figures. Those 11% are folk signing on.

Given I've spent 6 months already with internships in westminster (before I even start my ****ing degree), I think I'll be alright.
I know someone with a maths degree from Oxford who was working at Tesco when he came out of uni. The university you go to doesn't really matter (unless its decent). Its what you do there and how you make the most of the opportunities given to you.
Original post by Noble.
A higher proportion of Oxbridge graduates go into further study and a ridiculous number of LSE students will go into finance. Hardly a relevant statistic.

But someone doing Celtic Studies at Oxford would find it hard to find a well paying job in today's world.
Reply 49
But someone doing Celtic Studies at Oxford would find it hard to find a well paying job in today's world.

Perhaps, I don't see your point though? Doing that subject at any other university isn't going to boost your employment opportunities over Oxford is it?
Reply 50
Original post by JoshL123
I know someone with a maths degree from Oxford who was working at Tesco when he came out of uni. The university you go to doesn't really matter (unless its decent). Its what you do there and how you make the most of the opportunities given to you.

Tell that to the investment banks, where outside of six universities the chances of you getting employed in a FO position are slim.

Also, I take it this person ended up with a 3rd/2:2?
From what I've heard Warwick isn't too bad... non biased view here...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
I doubt most foreigners will have heard of many UK universities aside from oxbridge/ some London Universities, I mean ask yourself, how many top universities can you name off the top of your head from continental Europe?
Original post by Noble.
Perhaps, I don't see your point though? Doing that subject at any other university isn't going to boost your employment opportunities over Oxford is it?

What I'm trying to say is Oxford and Cambridge are great uni in terms of academics but not in terms in money. An LSE econ grad earns more than a Oxford econ grad.
Original post by Hazard17

Cambridge, UCL and Imperial achieved higher scores than Oxford this year. The only reason LSE aren't there is because they don't cover all subjects, only the Social sciences and Maths. Whereas Warwick would be up there but they're fairly new and don't have that International prestige yet. However Id say the top 6 in the UK (Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Warwick) are all in the Top 12 in the world.

Warwick student detected. :colone:
Original post by Noble.
Tell that to the investment banks, where outside of six universities the chances of you getting employed in a FO position are slim.

Also, I take it this person ended up with a 3rd/2:2?

Out of interest what are the 6 universities you are referring to? Thats true, but I know two people (through mutual friends) that are off to work at Goldman Sachs through an investment banking scheme for graduates after coming out with a 1st at Birmingham University. They were both involved in financial forums etc and made the most of/ or at least too the initiative whilst at uni. Im just saying that it is certainly possible, unless, for example, you go to for example an ex-polytechnic and are thinking of achieving the same.

Yep, you are right, he came out with a 2:2. I am just trying to say that name doesn't matter. Most people think that going to Oxbridge regardless of what they get will sort them out which is far from the truth.

No such undergraduate degree at Oxford exists
Original post by JoshL123
Out of interest what are the 6 universities you are referring to? Thats true, but I know two people (through mutual friends) that are off to work at Goldman Sachs through an investment banking scheme for graduates after coming out with a 1st at Birmingham University. They were both involved in financial forums etc and made the most of/ or at least too the initiative whilst at uni. Im just saying that it is certainly possible, unless, for example, you go to for example an ex-polytechnic and are thinking of achieving the same.

Yep, you are right, he came out with a 2:2. I am just trying to say that name doesn't matter. Most people think that going to Oxbridge regardless of what they get will sort them out which is far from the truth.

This is purely anecdotal. A first at Birmingham is excellent, and this has to be taken as an exception to the rule here.
No such undergraduate degree at Oxford exists

There is Classics with Celtic
There is Classics with Celtic

Indeed

Latest

Trending

Trending