The Student Room Group

How reliable are UNISTATS?

I managed to get into my firm choice but I am still a little unsure about if I will definitely be going to university, although at the moment I feel I would rather go to university rather than get an apprenticeship or full time job.

One of the main reasons why I'm finding making this decision so hard is that the course I have been accepted for doesn't have very good UNISTATS scores. The course is Information and Communication Technology at Huddersfield, and the course stats can be seen here.

The stats which worry me the most are the student satisfaction stats. (e.g. 35% say staff made the course interesting and 48% said feedback on their work had been prompt).

There is however a note on the UNISTATS page which says:

'There are not enough data available to give specific information for the course: this may be because the course size is small, or because it is a new course. For this reason, the information may include data from previous years, or other courses at the institution in the course’s wider subject area. For example, if the course was in Forestry, information for all agricultural and related subjects at the institution might be shown.'

This leads me to believe that the stats may not be very reliable and may not be reflect accurately what the course is actually like.

I went to the open day for the university and didn't get the impression of it being a bad course in anyway.

Does anyone know how accurate UNISTATS are, and how much of a factor they should be to making my desicion?
Original post by Sutty_

'There are not enough data available to give specific information for the course: this may be because the course size is small, or because it is a new course. For this reason, the information may include data from previous years, or other courses at the institution in the course’s wider subject area. For example, if the course was in Forestry, information for all agricultural and related subjects at the institution might be shown.'

Not reliable in this case :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Not reliable in this case :smile:

Okay thanks, should I not worry about them then?
Original post by Sutty_
Okay thanks, should I not worry about them then?

I wouldn't - small course - you liked the atmosphere when you went - tbh if they did get poor feedback they are probably working on that aspect anyway
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
I wouldn't - small course - you liked the atmosphere when you went - tbh if they did get poor feedback they are probably working on that aspect anyway

Okay thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending