The Student Room Group

I desperately need help getting back into uni

Hello,

I am a "mature" student. I say that because I'm 22 and still don't know anything about the world.

I was at the University of Manchester. I didn't do very well in a maths module and I got kicked out.

I want to get back into uni. Leeds, Manchester, or Liverpool preferably.

My A Levels aren't good enough for year one entry. I have BBD, and took them in 2009/2010. I did chem, physics, biology.

My question is, would is be better for me to do an access to HE course in science or engineering or try and do an A Level in maths and resit my physics exams that I have a D in?

Any advice would be great as I need to get something sorted for September.

Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by AllUnits
Hello,

I am a "mature" student. I say that because I'm 22 and still don't know anything about the world.

I was at the University of Manchester. I didn't do very well in a maths module and I got kicked out.

I want to get back into uni. Leeds, Manchester, or Liverpool preferably.

My A Levels aren't good enough for year one entry. I have BBD, and took them in 2009/2010. I did chem, physics, biology.

My question is, would is be better for me to do an access to HE course in science or engineering or try and do an A Level in maths and resit my physics exams that I have a D in?

Any advice would be great as I need to get something sorted for September.

Cheers.

What degree is it that you want to do?
Reply 2
Original post by Revel
What degree is it that you want to do?

Probably chemistry, or chemical engineering.

I was on a chem degree at Manchester before getting booted.
Reply 3
Probably chemistry, or chemical engineering.

I was on a chem degree at Manchester before getting booted.

Have you thought about other options like a foundation year? I know there are some great universities like Nottingham and Sheffield that offer these.
Reply 4
Original post by Revel
Have you thought about other options like a foundation year? I know there are some great universities like Nottingham and Sheffield that offer these.

I was doing a chemistry foundation at Manchester.

It was intensely more difficult than A Levels were.
Reply 5
I was doing a chemistry foundation at Manchester.

It was intensely more difficult than A Levels were.

The foundation year is a taster of what is to come on the remainder of the degree. If you couldn't handle the foundation year, it could be a sign that you cannot handle the actual degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Revel
The foundation year is a taster of what is to come on the remainder of the degree. If you couldn't handle the foundation year, it could be a sign that you cannot handle the actual degree.

I seriously doubt that.

The pass mark was 70%. Pass mark at degree is 40%.

It's a way for them to get more international dollars coming in as it was made mostly of international students.
Reply 7
I seriously doubt that.

It's a way for them to get more international dollars coming in as it was made mostly of international students.

Who settles for a 40% pass at degree? It's like you're expecting the actual degree to be of the same difficulty as A Levels. Of course foundation is going to be harder, and the rest of the degree will be even harder than that!
Reply 8
I seriously doubt that.

After completing an engineering foundation year, the pass rate for you won't be 40% depending on the university. Some such as UEA will require you to get higher on specific modules.
I seriously doubt that.

Are you serious?

I agree with Revel

If you war to get beck into university then Access might help you to structure your study habits but you would have to do very well for the universities that you are interested in to consider you

Also bear in mind that you would need to pay for an access course
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
Are you serious?

Deadly.

International students bring in millions.

Thanks for your advice though.
Deadly.

International students bring in millions.

Thanks for your advice though.

Shame on those international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Coffeetime
Shame on those international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not here to chat politics but more spaces should be available for UK/EU students for sure.
Not here to chat politics but more spaces should be available for UK/EU students for sure.

I don't disagree with you, but I also think each student should earn their way in, not be given special treatment because of money (and I'm international).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending