The Student Room Group

Re-Sitting As level- Medicine

Okay so, when I saw my results on results day I didn't expect it. Lets just say it was as if someone slapped me right across my face, hard. Anyway that's not the point. I did biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and got EUUC. Quite bad. I want to resit my bio and chem and carry on with psychology A2. Is it possible to resit AS and carry on with A2 all in one year for bio and chem? plus I wanted to go into medicine (don't laugh) is it harder to get into medicine now?
And before anyone asks. yes I am quite dedicated and especially after them results I'm more than motivated to already start over with everything (it hit me hard)
Thanks in advance
The only medical school that I am aware are accepting of re sitters is Liverpool.
What do you think were the reasons behind getting those results? I'm not sure if your college will let you resit the Biology AS and Chem AS and do A2 at the same time, and even still, that is a hell of a lot of work. Obviously you won't be able to apply to medicine this year, unless your teachers decide to predict you AAA. Your best bet to study medicine is applying next year and sitting AS/A2 Bio and Chem next year along with A2 Psychology, if you can do that, to bring them all up to AAA.

Edit: even doing that will limit your choices because some medical schools have a limit on how many modules/exams you can resit (e.g. Edinburgh), and some want reasons for any resits. Your A levels must be done within 2 years completely, and AAA achieved, to apply for medicine unless you have extenuating circumstances.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't want to be mean or say you shouldn't try again but honestly, can you just question your suitability for something as heavily science-based and difficult as Medicine? I cannot see you getting A's in your resist with U's and E's... Chemistry is the most necessary and you have got a U in it... I would change your career plan. Maybe try for Biology and Psychology and go for Psychology? I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like you're academically cut out for Medicine. And I think you would find it hard to get into a Medical School without doubts, with resits in everything.
Original post by Mary_7
Okay so, when I saw my results on results day I didn't expect it. Lets just say it was as if someone slapped me right across my face, hard. Anyway that's not the point. I did biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and got EUUC. Quite bad. I want to resit my bio and chem and carry on with psychology A2. Is it possible to resit AS and carry on with A2 all in one year for bio and chem? plus I wanted to go into medicine (don't laugh) is it harder to get into medicine now?
And before anyone asks. yes I am quite dedicated and especially after them results I'm more than motivated to already start over with everything (it hit me hard)
Thanks in advance

It will be harder to get into medicine because the universities tend not to favour resitters, however it's definitely not impossible. If you really want to maximise your chances of getting in though then I'd suggest postgraduate entry.

There is an alternative: With some universities (like St George's), if you study biomedicine there you can apply for third year medicine ( although you need to score reasonably well in the university exams)
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/biomedical-science/transfer-into-medicine
Reply 5
Thanks for that guys. Tbh I didn't actually try hard this year whatsoever I've always said I hated chem therefore no effort went into it. But i've realised now that medicine is what i've always wanted to do! So yh. I'm going to be resitting AS bio and Chem then hopefully carry on and apply for UNI next year hopping that maybe my personal statement does the job

Quick Reply

Latest