The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Thinking of studying psychology

I have a few questions, but do bear in mind that I do plan on emailing admissions to get an official opinion but I won't be able to do that immediately due to it being recently results day and I imagine things would be quite hectic there.

I'm interested in doing the Msci (Hons) Psychology at the university (http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/psychology/detail/) the requirement is A*AA but they've also said that I would need an A at GCSE Maths since I don't do it for A-levels (I got a B). I was wondering how essential this grade was to the course, would it be worth applying and seeing if I could get in with my B or is it a waste of an option?

Similarly, if I applied for this course but didn't get in would I be offered a place on the standard Bsc Psychology course? I ask this because Leeds has a similar Msci course for Psychology and they have written on their site that unsuccessful applicants are offered a place on the Bsc course.

Thanks in advance (:
Original post by beaverhausen
I have a few questions, but do bear in mind that I do plan on emailing admissions to get an official opinion but I won't be able to do that immediately due to it being recently results day and I imagine things would be quite hectic there.

I'm interested in doing the Msci (Hons) Psychology at the university (http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/psychology/detail/) the requirement is A*AA but they've also said that I would need an A at GCSE Maths since I don't do it for A-levels (I got a B). I was wondering how essential this grade was to the course, would it be worth applying and seeing if I could get in with my B or is it a waste of an option?

Similarly, if I applied for this course but didn't get in would I be offered a place on the standard Bsc Psychology course? I ask this because Leeds has a similar Msci course for Psychology and they have written on their site that unsuccessful applicants are offered a place on the Bsc course.

Thanks in advance (:

Bath ask for A*AA with an A in maths GCSE for all their psychology courses, but you would be considered for the BSc if you didn't get on the MSc. I'm going to be starting at Bath next month as a mature student (my GCSEs were in 2002) and I emailed to ask about the maths GCSE before applying, as I also had a B, and they recommended redoing it to try to get an A, so it seems they do value the A at GCSE.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Millie1986
Bath ask for A*AA with an A in maths GCSE for all their psychology courses, but you would be considered for the BSc if you didn't get on the MSc. I'm going to be starting at Bath next month as a mature student (my GCSEs were in 2002) and I emailed to ask about the maths GCSE before applying, as I also had a B, and they recommended redoing it to try to get an A, so it seems they do value the A at GCSE.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply. Did you re-do the GCSE in the end?
Original post by beaverhausen
Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply. Did you re-do the GCSE in the end?

No, I'm a mature student and was taking an Access course, and Bath will also accept 6 credits of Level 3 Maths on the Access course as an alternative to the A at GCSE so that is what I did.

Quick Reply

Latest