The Student Room Group

Any CIE candidates here???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GabTR
I got A*AA (Economics,Hist,Eng Lit)

congratulations! :biggrin:
Finally I'm getting my results in 5 hours...
Original post by WinterWind
You'll be fine!:yum: Will a rep chill you out?:ahee:

I got my results but a rep is still welcomed :biggrin:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I thought you know you have full ums in everything:tongue: dont need to worryyy

Haha..expected much more but ended up with only 12 units with full ums (6 maths modules + 6 science units ). :frown:

How about you? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Finally I'm getting my results in 5 hours...

hahaha finally! how did it go? :biggrin:
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
hahaha finally! how did it go? :biggrin:

Great!!! Totally unexpected results! (oh btw I'm CIE IGCSE student and not A level)
Coordinated science A*A*
Geography A*
History A* (Totally NOT expected, my best result I achieved in mock was B so maybe my teacher was a harsh marker)
French A*
English language A (not bad considering my mother tongue is not English)
English literature A (CANNOT BELIEVE. I got an E in the past in a practice exam, and my average grade was a C, again a harsh marking teacher I guess!)

maths is still pending since there was an issue :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
By the way, does anyone know if I can get copies of my exam and how much that would cost me if possible?
Sure I'm more than satisfied with my grades but I am still curious :frown:
Original post by C0balt
Great!!! Totally unexpected results! (oh btw I'm CIE IGCSE student and not A level)
Coordinated science A*A*
Geography A*
History A* (Totally NOT expected, my best result I achieved in mock was B so maybe my teacher was a harsh marker)
French A*
English language A (not bad considering my mother tongue is not English)
English literature A (CANNOT BELIEVE. I got an E in the past in a practice exam, and my average grade was a C, again a harsh marking teacher I guess!)

maths is still pending since there was an issue :frown:

By the way, does anyone know if I can get copies of my exam and how much that would cost me if possible?
Sure I'm more than satisfied with my grades but I am still curious :frown:

wow congratulations! :biggrin: great job!!
no idea about getting the papers back, sorry :frown: maybe talk to your centre?
Has anyone got a link to the grade boundaries for Economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
wow congratulations! :biggrin: great job!!
no idea about getting the papers back, sorry :frown: maybe talk to your centre?

I don't really wanna talk to them :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
I don't really wanna talk to them :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

is your centre really inefficient?
well its the same for me too.
they don't know anything.
wonder why they work in the centre if they're not at all helpful?
Can someone here tell me how percentage of CIE results work? I got 90 for A2 Maths which is an A*. Does that mean for every 100 people, ten people are better than me? No one seems to understand this exam board!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maura Kat
is your centre really inefficient?
well its the same for me too.
they don't know anything.
wonder why they work in the centre if they're not at all helpful?

Hmm sort of but not only that

I just found out that the head of centre has no sense of responsibility over a dispute in one of the exams and I can't really trust him
Original post by C0balt
Hmm sort of but not only that

I just found out that the head of centre has no sense of responsibility over a dispute in one of the exams and I can't really trust him

in my centre, the staff do not know anything.
whenever i ask them a question their reply is for me to contact CIE UK.
when i contact CIE UK, they ask me to contact the CIE in the country I am in.
When I contact the local CIE they say they'll get back to me.
but they never do.
Original post by peterith
Can someone here tell me how percentage of CIE results work? I got 90 for A2 Maths which is an A*. Does that mean for every 100 people, ten people are better than me? No one seems to understand this exam board!

i think it's a percentile so your mark was the 10th highest mark in the world!
Original post by peterith

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there! Haha I definitely agree that CIE remains pretty vague on their UMS calculation method. But I was graduated last year (the batch of Oct/Nov 2013) and from all the info I've garnered, the percentiles you get are only an indication of which range you score is in your grade bracket. In your case, you have got a 90 which means that your A* is the lowest A*. It DOES NOT neccesarily mean that for every 100 candidates, 10 students are better than you. For example there were exactly 2.4% of candidates in the whole world obtained an A* for Law in Oct/Nov 2013 and say if you get a 90 in Law, that means your score is in the range of highest 2.4%. So a 90 doesn't mean there are 10 students better than you for every 100 students. In this specific case, even if you score a 90, your score is in fact better than other 97/98 students in a random 100-student sample.

There are different thresholds as well for different grades in each year, but unfortunately they do not normally show the threshold for an A*. They only mentioned the threshold for an A* in a single paper is the mark-up taken from the gap between grades A and B. For instance the threshold for A is 40/50 and B is 35/50, then it may indicate that A* requires 45/50.

There are statistics on their CIE website. Type 'CIE' on Google and click on their official website then go search for their statistics section. Download the files ( needless to say, only download those which are relevant to you )and you will see how many percentage of candidates in the whole world get the grades of A*, A, B, C and so on in a particular subject. From the statistics I saw for my batch, there were 10+% of candidates in the whole world achieved A* for Maths. From your percentile you can then know that you are top 10+%. If your percentile in Maths is 95, that means you are in the middle range of A* boundary which implies that your score is top 5+% highest in the whole world.

Hopefully you will get some enlightenment from my rather rhetoric post. XD
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know when CIE releases the UMS marks and grades for individual units/components
Original post by Godel_Mark
Does anyone know when CIE releases the UMS marks and grades for individual units/components

my centre told me it's around the 19th or sometime near the end of the month :smile:
Does anyone know what 'statistical analysis' is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Does anyone know what 'statistical analysis' is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

With respect to what?
Original post by Godel_Mark
With respect to what?

In Economics paper 2, I scored 24/40 but this was reduced to 20/40 due to statistical analysis. What is 'statistical analysis'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest