The Student Room Group

How often do you guys see your family whilst at university?

So how often do you guys see your family like visit them back home when you are at university?
It's something that im worried about if i go to a university out of my hometown as im really close to my family and i would hate not to see them for months and only holidays.
Original post by Kash24411
So how often do you guys see your family like visit them back home when you are at university?
It's something that im worried about if i go to a university out of my hometown as im really close to my family and i would hate not to see them for months and only holidays.

I see mine every couple of months, but I speak to them on the phone and skype pretty much every day. I think it is important to go to a uni a little way from home, as you can become more independent (and you're presumably going to move out from home later on in life anyway). And I've actually become closer to them since moving away if that makes sense!

My uni is about 2 1/2 hours travel from home, but I make the effort to go home for weekends when I can, and my parents come to visit me when they can.

Skype is so useful for this honestly!
Reply 2
Original post by JessicaCowper
I see mine every couple of months, but I speak to them on the phone and skype pretty much every day. I think it is important to go to a uni a little way from home, as you can become more independent (and you're presumably going to move out from home later on in life anyway). And I've actually become closer to them since moving away if that makes sense!

My uni is about 2 1/2 hours travel from home, but I make the effort to go home for weekends when I can, and my parents come to visit me when they can.

Skype is so useful for this honestly!

Thanks for your reply!

You're correct when talking about gaining more independence i think that will be important and something that i will have to experience sometime in my life and university would probably be the best time for that.

I would like to visit my family once a week by car would you say that is possible? I mean how busy can university schedules really get?
Original post by Kash24411
Thanks for your reply!

You're correct when talking about gaining more independence i think that will be important and something that i will have to experience sometime in my life and university would probably be the best time for that.

I would like to visit my family once a week by car would you say that is possible? I mean how busy can university schedules really get?

No problem! Depends what you're studying, but it's normally possible to go home at least once every two weeks, and should be possible to go every week during quieter times. Just think about how much that's going to cost you to do - it really will add up!

One of my friends had a flatmate who went home every weekend, and she didn't feel they really got to know him, as he was never around at weekends. So just bear that in mind, but do what makes you happy - if that means going home every week then do it! Just remember to make time for friends on campus too, and maybe get your family to come visit you every so often, rather than you going to them?
Reply 4
Original post by JessicaCowper
No problem! Depends what you're studying, but it's normally possible to go home at least once every two weeks, and should be possible to go every week during quieter times. Just think about how much that's going to cost you to do - it really will add up!

One of my friends had a flatmate who went home every weekend, and she didn't feel they really got to know him, as he was never around at weekends. So just bear that in mind, but do what makes you happy - if that means going home every week then do it! Just remember to make time for friends on campus too, and maybe get your family to come visit you every so often, rather than you going to them?

I will be planning to study a course based around finance and every 2 weeks would be fine with me just as long as i get to see them often, the costs shouldn't be too much of a problem especially if i have a car if not a train will be fine.

Yeah i think every weekend would be too much after a while as it may prevent weekend night outs with flat mates and other stuff within university so i will definitely bear that in mind so thanks! I'm just so close to my family especially my mum and i would just love to visit as often as i could however i wouldn't want to miss out on the university experience at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending