The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Geosciences at Imperial?

Hello! I am thinking about doing either geophysics or geography at Imperial. However, i dont know if i have any chances of getting an offer as I didn't get good enough grades (at least, that's what i think about them). I got 2 As (spanish and geography), 2 Cs (biology and general studies, I missed the B grade by 0.4%) and 2 Ds (maths and physics, and again, i missed a C by 1%). I will be also resitting one module from maths and one from physics. Do you think that i would have any chances of getting an offer from imperial? (sorry for the long reply lol)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Imranfr0
Hello! I am thinking about doing either geophysics or geography at Imperial. However, i dont know if i have any chances of getting an offer as I didn't get good enough grades (at least, that's what i think about them). I got 2 As (spanish and geography), 2 Cs (biology and general studies, I missed the B grade by 0.4%) and 2 Ds (maths and physics, and again, i missed a C by 1%). I will be also resitting one module from maths and one from physics. Do you think that i would have any chances of getting an offer from imperial? (sorry for the long reply lol)

Hi there. Great to hear you are considering courses in the geosciences (Geography isn't offered at Imperial! Geology and Geophysics are though).

Are this just AS levels? If you're now moving into A2, really you need to be predicted at least AAA (AAB minimum) to be considered for the course. And you need A grades in at least 2 sciences. If your teacher is willing to predict these grades, then you may be considered, but it is quite ambitious because maths and physics are very important to the course (especially Geophysics) and these are currently your worst grades so it may not be realistic for you to pull these up.

Given that your best grades are in Spanish and Geography, you might be better at looking at Geography courses, which Imperial does not offer. You will probably have a better chance at getting in to Geography courses.

My advice to people is that it's okay to have 1 or 2 ambitious choices on your form, provided you have some realistic and backup universities on there as well.

Are there any extenuating circumstances? If so, make sure these are mentioned in the reference.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
Hi there. Great to hear you are considering courses in the geosciences (Geography isn't offered at Imperial! Geology and Geophysics are though).

Are this just AS levels? If you're now moving into A2, really you need to be predicted at least AAA (AAB minimum) to be considered for the course. And you need A grades in at least 2 sciences. If your teacher is willing to predict these grades, then you may be considered, but it is quite ambitious because maths and physics are very important to the course (especially Geophysics) and these are currently your worst grades so it may not be realistic for you to pull these up.

Given that your best grades are in Spanish and Geography, you might be better at looking at Geography courses, which Imperial does not offer. You will probably have a better chance at getting in to Geography courses.

My advice to people is that it's okay to have 1 or 2 ambitious choices on your form, provided you have some realistic and backup universities on there as well.

Are there any extenuating circumstances? If so, make sure these are mentioned in the reference.

Hello, these are my AS results. I forgot to mention that I missed a Grade B in biology and general studies for only 1 mark and the same in maths and physics (just missed a C for 2 marks). I am thinking about resitting one module from maths and one from physics to try to improve my AS grades.
Reply 3
Original post by Imranfr0
Hello, these are my AS results. I forgot to mention that I missed a Grade B in biology and general studies for only 1 mark and the same in maths and physics (just missed a C for 2 marks). I am thinking about resitting one module from maths and one from physics to try to improve my AS grades.

Unless you think you can get As in Maths and Physics I would forget Geophysics. If you can get predicted As in Geography and Biology (and Spanish) then that's 2 sciences plus the AAA requirement so you might be considered for Geology (although physics and maths are still quite important for this subject), but you would have to do the catch up courses in maths and physics in first year.

You could always contact the admissions people themselves to see if it's worth applying. They'll know better than anyone else who they will consider. Probably not worth contacting just yet as it's a very busy time for universities so you won't get a reply straight away. Perhaps try to get in contact in September.
Reply 4
Original post by Zottula
Unless you think you can get As in Maths and Physics I would forget Geophysics. If you can get predicted As in Geography and Biology (and Spanish) then that's 2 sciences plus the AAA requirement so you might be considered for Geology (although physics and maths are still quite important for this subject), but you would have to do the catch up courses in maths and physics in first year.

You could always contact the admissions people themselves to see if it's worth applying. They'll know better than anyone else who they will consider. Probably not worth contacting just yet as it's a very busy time for universities so you won't get a reply straight away. Perhaps try to get in contact in September.

Thanks for the advise, I will contact them sometime in september. I will try my best to get good A2 grades and improve my AS results in Maths and Physics! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Zottula

Hi, sorry to interrupt but imperial has just upped their grade requirements for these courses to A*AA. (I am also wanting to study geophysics), does this mean that our predictions must be at least A*AA to even be considered?

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Jords13
Hi, sorry to interrupt but imperial has just upped their grade requirements for these courses to A*AA. (I am also wanting to study geophysics), does this mean that our predictions must be at least A*AA to even be considered?

Thanks

I think you will still be considered with AAA rather than A*AA as they will consider everyone who looks likely to meet their minimum requirements. It is possible that someone predicted AAA would end up getting slightly better than this on results day. It's important to note that even if you are predicted AAA, your offer (if you get one) would still be A*AA. If you think you have a chance of getting these grades, it's fine to apply.

When applying for university, it's okay to have 1 or 2 more ambitious choices so long as you have some realistic and backup choices as well.
Reply 7
Original post by Zottula
I think you will still be considered with AAA rather than A*AA as they will consider everyone who looks likely to meet their minimum requirements. It is possible that someone predicted AAA would end up getting slightly better than this on results day. It's important to note that even if you are predicted AAA, your offer (if you get one) would still be A*AA. If you think you have a chance of getting these grades, it's fine to apply.

When applying for university, it's okay to have 1 or 2 more ambitious choices so long as you have some realistic and backup choices as well.

ah ok, that's great thank you! also do you know if people who apply early have a slight advantage because the university think they may be Oxbridge applicants and there mam offer?
Reply 8
Original post by Jords13
ah ok, that's great thank you! also do you know if people who apply early have a slight advantage because the university think they may be Oxbridge applicants and there mam offer?

No. It shouldn't make a difference.

Pros and cons of applying early are mentioned in our UCAS Apply 2015 FAQ.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending