The Student Room Group

BDE at AS Level... will i get offers?

Okay so i just got my AS results a few days ago and i got BDE
B - Technology and Design
D - Physics
E - Maths
I think i just totally screwed up somewhere along the way. I'm just worried that I won't get any university offers. (I'm thinking of Electrical/Electronic Engineering or something to do with design).
What do you guys think?
I was predicted AAA* (in order of subjects listed) at the start of the year.
Reply 2
You could potentially end up with ABC at the end of a2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iMeep
You could potentially end up with ABC at the end of a2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But do you think i would be able to get any offers when applying to university?
Original post by RachAlexandrea
But do you think i would be able to get any offers when applying to university?

Depends on which uni's. Some will accept Bs and Cs, so try and pull the grades up. Don't worry, you can resit exams - it helps a lot :smile:

Just checked for Electronic Engineering. De montfort univeristy require 260 points. Which is around BCC or BBD.
(edited 9 years ago)
D - Physics
E - Maths
I think i just totally screwed up somewhere along the way. I'm just worried that I won't get any university offers. (I'm thinking of Electrical/Electronic Engineering or something to do with design).
What do you guys think?

Will your school let you carry on with Maths when you have an E? Some won't, which would be a problem for Engineering.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Will your school let you carry on with Maths when you have an E? Some won't, which would be a problem for Engineering.

yes its only if i got a U that i would have to drop it.
and it isn't as if to say i wasn't doing well in the subject cause i was.
(edited 9 years ago)
D - Physics
E - Maths
What do you guys think?

Yes. Make sure you know your A2 predicted grades ASAP and go for universities that that offer points rather than grades. Be realistic with your choices and you will get offers.
yes its only if i got a U that i would have to drop it.
and it isn't as if to say i wasn't doing well in the subject cause i was.

We had to get Ds and above, so you're lucky :tongue:
Reply 9
It honestly depends what sort of uni's you are applying to you and your predictions next year. Bare in mind I don't think many universities will believe you will go from an E to an A in a year. I was in a position last year where I got an E in Maths but I dropped it as I had three other A-levels so it didn't matter too much as you only need 3 A-levels for most universities. Would it be possible to drop Maths and do a 2 year BTEC in one year at your school? I think that would be a good option to consider if it's possible, I have a lot of friends that got into good universities with their third 'A-level' subject being a BTEC. Alternatively, if you believe you can bring your maths grade up you could definitely continue just have realistic expectations of what uni's will be interested in you, when you pick your 5 choices try to pick a wide variety so you have plenty of options to choose from. As always it's good to get advice from here but make sure you speak with your parents and any advisors / teachers at school that can help you in making your decisions. Good luck for next year, hope you get what you need :smile:
Original post by AlexJN
It honestly depends what sort of uni's you are applying to you and your predictions next year. Bare in mind I don't think many universities will believe you will go from an E to an A in a year. I was in a position last year where I got an E in Maths but I dropped it as I had three other A-levels so it didn't matter too much as you only need 3 A-levels for most universities. Would it be possible to drop Maths and do a 2 year BTEC in one year at your school? I think that would be a good option to consider if it's possible, I have a lot of friends that got into good universities with their third 'A-level' subject being a BTEC. Alternatively, if you believe you can bring your maths grade up you could definitely continue just have realistic expectations of what uni's will be interested in you, when you pick your 5 choices try to pick a wide variety so you have plenty of options to choose from. As always it's good to get advice from here but make sure you speak with your parents and any advisors / teachers at school that can help you in making your decisions. Good luck for next year, hope you get what you need :smile:

Thanks. it was a serious shock for me to say the least and i'm not sure about the btec thing. I'll have to look into it.
D - Physics
E - Maths
What do you guys think?

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.
Original post by German123
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.

I know. Thank you for saying. I also believe that i don't need to go to a big prestigious university. It all depends on the determination of the person! :smile: I mean if I have to, I will take a gap year or whatever it takes.
D - Physics
E - Maths
What do you guys think?

None of us can say for certain. What would help is if you explain the situation to your teachers and convince them to give you much better predicted grades.
You should just apply to uni anyway. You have nothing to lose by applying this year (except the £20 ucas fee lol). If you get no offers then you can just apply the following September & take a gap year. I would definitely recommend resitting a few AS modules along with your A2s next summer though (especially Maths - C1 and C2 seem ridiculously easy once you've mastered C3 & C4!). I had plenty of friends in your position and with a few resits they were fine :smile:
Original post by tnetennba
None of us can say for certain. What would help is if you explain the situation to your teachers and convince them to give you much better predicted grades.
You should just apply to uni anyway. You have nothing to lose by applying this year (except the £20 ucas fee lol). If you get no offers then you can just apply the following September & take a gap year. I would definitely recommend resitting a few AS modules along with your A2s next summer though (especially Maths - C1 and C2 seem ridiculously easy once you've mastered C3 & C4!). I had plenty of friends in your position and with a few resits they were fine :smile:

I did all my maths exams (6 of them) in one year too, our school calls it 'Fast Track' Maths. I think I'll have to repeat the majority of these but I think it should be okay because I've already done all the stuff. Its just a matter of continuous past papers. I think that was the problem with maths.. It was just a little overwhelming especially the C3 and C4. I will have to repeat module 1 in physics along with the practical too. But i believe it is doable. I know i have the ability.
I know. Thank you for saying. I also believe that i don't need to go to a big prestigious university. It all depends on the determination of the person! :smile: I mean if I have to, I will take a gap year or whatever it takes.

Now that is the spirit-Never give up:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest