The Student Room Group

Any point remarking History paper?

So just got my AS results back and am very happy with my Chemistry, English and French grades: all high A's. However, in History I scraped an A: 84/100 for unit 1, and 81/100 for unit 2. I was so surprised especially when the unit 1 exam went so well: we'd planned the questions that came up in class and I'd done almost identical practice papers and got 22 or 23 out of 24. I wouldn't mind so much, its just that I hope to study History and French at uni, and this makes it very unlikely to get predicted an A*. Basically is it worth remarking when there's a chance it could go down, if so should I remark unit one or two for the best chance. My board is AQA btw
As long as you get an A overall, getting an A* only depends on your A2 grades (you need to average an A grade overall and get 90% UMS in A2) so I wouldn't bother personally. Very few unis will ask for more than one A* (which could be French) anyway
Original post by xcartoonheart
So just got my AS results back and am very happy with my Chemistry, English and French grades: all high A's. However, in History I scraped an A: 84/100 for unit 1, and 81/100 for unit 2. I was so surprised especially when the unit 1 exam went so well: we'd planned the questions that came up in class and I'd done almost identical practice papers and got 22 or 23 out of 24. I wouldn't mind so much, its just that I hope to study History and French at uni, and this makes it very unlikely to get predicted an A*. Basically is it worth remarking when there's a chance it could go down, if so should I remark unit one or two for the best chance. My board is AQA btw

I'm in the same position, and probably going to get my script back before the remark. AQA have really messed up with history this year...

:smile:
I was in the same position as you, got a low A and wanted to remark (however i didn't want the A* prediction.) My history teacher advised against the remark. I got slightly higher marks than you (165ums) and the risk of the marks going down only by a couple, meant i could have actually ended up with a B. My unit 1 exam went perfectly, yet i only got 78 UMS and a B. I was gutted. But a remark was too risky. Your predictions are based off your AS grades and how your teachers think you could do. Try and convince your teacher to give you the A* predicion by getting above 38/45 in A2 essays and an A* in your coursework (which is quite easy to do) at the beginning of the year, and remind them how well you used to do in essays in AS. Remarking, imo, is too risky.
Original post by xcartoonheart

You're on 165/200. A remark could potentially drag you down into a B, so I wouldn't risk it. Your teacher can predict you an A* based on your mock performances as well as your actual grade.

If you want to know what went wrong/how to improve, ask for photocopies of your exam scripts.
Thanks for all the advice so far!! I don't think I'll remark and just try for the A* prediction but any other opinions are welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest