The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College - MSc Advanced Aeronautical Engineering

Hey,
anyone here having applied to or holding an offer for MSc in Advanced Aeronautical Engineering ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zapidz
Hey,
anyone here having applied to or holding an offer for MSc in Advanced Aeronautical Engineering ?

I got a conditional offer... how bout you?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Hey guys,
I don't have an offer yet, I'm still waiting for an answer and was wondering how long did it take for them to make you an offer (when did you apply and when was the offer made) because I feel like I'm becoming crazy waiting for an answer that is not coming and as it has been more than 8 weeks, I have no idea if it is a good sign or bad sign. Also, I saw that rejected_usrname enquired about the accreditation of the program on another thread, so I was wondering if you had more info from Imperial ?
Thanks,
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zapidz
Hey,

Hi. I have an offer. Got mine on July 10th. :smile:
But unfortunately, I'm having delays processing my visa so I have to defer until next year.
Original post by alex974
Hey guys,
I don't have an offer yet, I'm still waiting for an answer and was wondering how long did it take for them to make you an offer (when did you apply and when was the offer made) because I feel like I'm becoming crazy waiting for an answer that is not coming and as it has been more than 8 weeks, I have no idea if it is a good sign or bad sign. Also, I saw that rejected_usrname enquired about the accreditation of the program on another thread, so I was wondering if you had more info from Imperial ?
Thanks,

Well, I applied to Imperial on 11th February with MSc Adv. MechE as 1st choice, and AeroE as 2nd. I got a rejection for MechE on 14th of April, and immediately thereafter, I was put on consideration for AeroE. So roughly, 14 weeks of waiting...
Original post by alex974
Hey guys,
Thanks,

Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Was away for the weekend. Anyways, I applied for the course sometime in early March and got an offer the week after. But my friend had to call them after a week and was told that his application for the course was still being reviewed; he got an offer immediately a few days after the call. My advice would be to call them up and ask regarding your application's progress.

Regarding the accreditation, I was told by the university that the process is underway and they are hopeful that it gets accreditation before the course is finished (within a year). Btw, may I ask where you are from?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DannyAbba
Well, I applied to Imperial on 11th February with MSc Adv. MechE as 1st choice, and AeroE as 2nd. I got a rejection for MechE on 14th of April, and immediately thereafter, I was put on consideration for AeroE. So roughly, 14 weeks of waiting...

Hi, by AeroE did you mean Advanced Aeronautical Engineering? Sorry for the confusion. If so, does the fact that the course is not credited yet bother you?

On a separate note, Was it difficult to ask to be deferred from Imperial? I'm quite worried about delays with getting a visa. There's a slight chance it might happen.

Thanks in advance for your reply!
Hello all. I chose to defer my offer till next year. Can I get anyone's e-mail address so I can ask you later in the year how the program has been thus far? Please and thank you. :smile:
Original post by rejected_usrname
Hi, by AeroE did you mean Advanced Aeronautical Engineering? Sorry for the confusion. If so, does the fact that the course is not credited yet bother you?

On a separate note, Was it difficult to ask to be deferred from Imperial? I'm quite worried about delays with getting a visa. There's a slight chance it might happen.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Hey! :smile: Yes! I mean Adv. Aeronautical Engineering. Well, that bothered me. But I figured that since this is Imperial's first shot at the MSc, that there may be glitches and patch-ups here and there to structure the programme well. And since I got an offer for MSc Mechanical Engineering from UCL, I thought it wise to do that first and then go to Imperial next year, with the hopes that the program will be better structured and that it would be accredited by then, hopefully. But as it is right now, I can't even go to UCL, cos' of visa issues. So I have deferred both. I now need to decide which one to forfeit next year. That's why I asked for you guys to 'keep in touch' so that I can monitor progress and know how to make the right choice next year. The accreditation bothered me indeed. But I visited the website and saw that there's a cool flight simulator there. This, among others, still makes me want to go to Imperial nonetheless. And besides, Imperial can be a very good name on your resumé/CV. :biggrin:

I'm still confused though. Hopefully, this gap year will help me weigh the pros and cons and make the 'right' choice eventually. And once again, hopefully, the course will get accredited before the end of the academic year!

Regarding deferral, all I had to do was to send an e-mail to the department and I also copied Engineering Admissions at the Registry in the e-mail, stating that I wanted to defer my offer, if possible. The department replied few hours later and said they had no issues/reasons for me not to defer and asked Admissions to update my status to 2015 entry, which was done some 2 or 3 days after. It was that easy; they didn't even ask me why I wanted to defer.

Ok, I've written a ****load essay :biggrin:. I'm sorry.

I wish you good luck in whatever decision you eventually take. And I would definitely like to know what you finally opted for. Please send me an e-mail later: <removed by a mod - please use the PM system to exchange personal details>

All the best. Cheers! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi, Sorry for the late reply. Was away for the weekend. Anyways, I applied for the course sometime in early March and got an offer the week after. But my friend had to call them after a week and was told that his application for the course was still being reviewed; he got an offer immediately a few days after the call. My advice would be to call them up and ask regarding your application's progress.

Regarding the accreditation, I was told by the university that the process is underway and they are hopeful that it gets accreditation before the course is finished (within a year). Btw, may I ask where you are from?

Thank you for the advice, I'll try to call them tomorrow morning. Btw, I'm from France, what about you ?
Reply 10
did you apply with your As grades? Or did you only apply after you done your A2?
So my question is did you apply at the beginning of year 12?
Original post by DannyAbba
Hey! :smile: Yes! I mean Adv. Aeronautical Engineering. Well, that bothered me. But I figured that since this is Imperial's first shot at the MSc, that there may be glitches and patch-ups here and there to structure the programme well. And since I got an offer for MSc Mechanical Engineering from UCL, I thought it wise to do that first and then go to Imperial next year, with the hopes that the program will be better structured and that it would be accredited by then, hopefully. But as it is right now, I can't even go to UCL, cos' of visa issues. So I have deferred both. I now need to decide which one to forfeit next year. That's why I asked for you guys to 'keep in touch' so that I can monitor progress and know how to make the right choice next year. The accreditation bothered me indeed. But I visited the website and saw that there's a cool flight simulator there. This, among others, still makes me want to go to Imperial nonetheless. And besides, Imperial can be a very good name on your resumé/CV. :biggrin:

I'm still confused though. Hopefully, this gap year will help me weigh the pros and cons and make the 'right' choice eventually. And once again, hopefully, the course will get accredited before the end of the academic year!

Regarding deferral, all I had to do was to send an e-mail to the department and I also copied Engineering Admissions at the Registry in the e-mail, stating that I wanted to defer my offer, if possible. The department replied few hours later and said they had no issues/reasons for me not to defer and asked Admissions to update my status to 2015 entry, which was done some 2 or 3 days after. It was that easy; they didn't even ask me why I wanted to defer.

Ok, I've written a ****load essay :biggrin:. I'm sorry.

I wish you good luck in whatever decision you eventually take. And I would definitely like to know what you finally opted for. Please send me an e-mail later: <removed by a mod - please use the PM system to exchange personal details>

All the best. Cheers! :smile:

No need to apologize for the "essay" haha... Very unfortunate that you had to defer; hopefully it wont repeat itself next year. I'll PM you my email. Here's hoping I wont have to defer too! Btw where are you from?
Original post by alex974
Thank you for the advice, I'll try to call them tomorrow morning. Btw, I'm from France, what about you ?

France?? Woah, cool... I'm from Malaysia btw.. Hopefully you'll get the offer.. See you in class...
Oh my! I'm just seeing this. So sorry for the late reply. And I just saw your PM. Thank you. I'll send an e-mail right away. I'm from Nigeria, by the way.
No need to apologize for the "essay" haha... Very unfortunate that you had to defer; hopefully it wont repeat itself next year. I'll PM you my email. Here's hoping I wont have to defer too! Btw where are you from?
Im thinking of applying for the Advanced Aeronautical Course this year. So couple of questions that i was hoping someone could help me with please 1.) How is everyone finding the course? the Workload?
2.) Any idea on where the university is with the accreditation of the course? Im not sure if I should apply to a course that hasnt been accredited.
3.) Does anyone have any tips on how I can strengthen my application? I will be graduating in 2015, expecting a first. Anything I can do outside my studies to stand a better chance of getting in?

Anything to help would be awesome.
Thanks in advance :smile:
2) You should check with the course director. For example, the Advanced Computational Methods weren't accredited until last year, but the accreditation is retrospective, i.e. it is accredited between 2010-2016 if you check on ECUK.

It really depends on what you want to do with your career as the chief reason for accreditation is your CEng. There will be no question on the quality of the course.

Original post by harisnadeem
Im thinking of applying for the Advanced Aeronautical Course this year. So couple of questions that i was hoping someone could help me with please 1.) How is everyone finding the course? the Workload?
2.) Any idea on where the university is with the accreditation of the course? Im not sure if I should apply to a course that hasnt been accredited.
3.) Does anyone have any tips on how I can strengthen my application? I will be graduating in 2015, expecting a first. Anything I can do outside my studies to stand a better chance of getting in?

Anything to help would be awesome.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi Guys. So Im really interested in applying for this course, but im unsure of whether I have a shot of getting in. I am studying Aerospace Engineering at Leicester University. So far in the first 2 years, I have averaged 76%. My A levels werent amazing, as I only got ABB. At Uni Ive done quite a few extracurricular activities, also being part of Formula Student. I dont have any work experience or internships in Engineering. I have been told my personal statement is good, however I think that is a more subjective Matter. If anyone here who has successfully gotten in can read it and give their opinion, please let me know. I would be most grateful.

On another side note, I have an interview for the MSc Aerospace Bursary scheme next week. If anyone has had that interview and could give me some tips, that would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance :smile:

I got a 2014 entry offer for the program. It was my 2nd choice by the way. I was on the borderline of a 1st when I applied. With little or no extracurriculars, save for a 3 month long internship at a helicopter company. And I still got an offer.

So there's no reason to be afraid. Hope that helps...

Cheers!

EDIT: Also, my personal statement was for my first choice. Advanced Mechanical Engineering.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Guys. So Im really interested in applying for this course, but im unsure of whether I have a shot of getting in. I am studying Aerospace Engineering at Leicester University. So far in the first 2 years, I have averaged 76%. My A levels werent amazing, as I only got ABB. At Uni Ive done quite a few extracurricular activities, also being part of Formula Student. I dont have any work experience or internships in Engineering. I have been told my personal statement is good, however I think that is a more subjective Matter. If anyone here who has successfully gotten in can read it and give their opinion, please let me know. I would be most grateful.

On another side note, I have an interview for the MSc Aerospace Bursary scheme next week. If anyone has had that interview and could give me some tips, that would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance :smile:

How did the interview go? I am sending the phase two application form now, hoping for an interview invitation.
Interview went really well. Its a really relaxed interview. They asked me about my third year project which is a UAV, quadcopter. So they asked me whether I think airplanes would be better off not having a pilot, as most of the air crashes are cause due to pilot error. Then they asked me why I picked Imperial, and more particularly this course. Then what my future plans were- where I wanna develop my career.

If you pass the 2nd phase (Im sure you will) they will send you a document telling you the potential questions they can ask- just prepare from that and you'll ace the interview.

Good luck :smile:
Ive just been informed im on the waiting list. Anyone else been in this situation before or know how long the waiting list usually is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending