The Student Room Group

Unexpected AS results! Please help

Hello everyone. I hope you all received the marks that you all worked hard for.

On the 14th I got my marks, they were far from what I expected them to be after working really hard throughout the year, and the saddest thing about it is that my classmates who worked less than me ended up getting more than me but still less than what they expected. Back to the point, my teachers and I were expecting me to get get A's and in the worst case scenario B's. Unfortunately I ended up getting ABDD (A in foreign language, B in ICT and D in Maths and D in physics) what a pity after all this work, and until today I don't know what went wrong.
My question here is, is it still possible to apply to universities like Manchester and Warwick for mechanical engineering and end up getting an offer? I have been working all year to have a chance to apply to them. Will I still stand a chance? If I end up re-sitting both subjects, would that help getting an offer from either? I will be doing that while taking A2.
Please advise me! And btw I can't take a gap year.
Thanks in advance for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fawzi963

On the 14th I got my marks, they were far from what I expected them to be after working really hard throughout the year, and the saddest thing about it is that my classmates who worked less than me ended up getting more than me but still less than what they expected. Back to the point, my teachers and I were expecting me to get get A's and in the worst case scenario B's. Unfortunately I ended up getting ABDD (A in foreign language, B in ICT and D in Maths and D in physics) what a pity after all this work, and until today I don't know what went wrong.
My question here is, is it still possible to apply to universities like Manchester and Warwick for mechanical engineering and end up getting an offer? I have been working all year to have a chance to apply to them. Will I still stand a chance? If I end up re-sitting both subjects, would that help getting an offer from either? I will be doing that while taking A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do not see predictions higher than AAB given your AS grade (maybe A*AB) so you need to ensure that you have a range of universities in your 5
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
I do not see predictions higher than AAB given your AS grade (maybe A*AB) so you need to ensure that you have a range of universities in your 5

Sorry TenOfThem, I didn't understand the first part of your answer. However, I will certainly have range to choose from into my application. Did you mean that I do have a chance for Warwick/Manchester or not?
Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry TenOfThem, I didn't understand the first part of your answer. However, I will certainly have range to choose from into my application. Did you mean that I do have a chance for Warwick/Manchester or not?
Thanks again

Sorry, they will want AAB

But they will want Maths & Physics in those

If you continue with both your predictions could be ABB or even ABC

I think you need to talk to your teachers about what you will continue with and what predictions they would consider
Reply 4
Don't stress! Some unis can be pretty lenient.. I know a girl who needed AAB to do her Law degree, and she got CCC, but was still accepted because of the extra curricular stuff she was doing!

Re-sitting whilst trying to do A2's at the same time can be a struggle. There is a lot of work and you might find yourself being even more stressed. But everyone's different and it also depends on what you actually need to re-sit. You may only need to re-sit a couple of exams which will pull your grades up. But do what you feel you can cope with, and if you don't get what you want, its not the end of the world! There are so many options out there
:biggrin:
Original post by Jenifa85
Don't stress! Some unis can be pretty lenient.. I know a girl who needed AAB to do her Law degree, and she got CCC, but was still accepted because of the extra curricular stuff she was doing!

But, presumably, she had an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish you the best of luck

But those two things in bold don't go together. D in maths and physics? Maths especially is a subject where hard work = past papers, and nailing that so you can pretty much guarantee what grade you get come the real thing.*

You can get high predictions, but without the possibility of re-applying as you have mentioned, it's going to be ****ing serious hard-work.

*For example, I am not great at maths. But I did 22 C3 past papers before the exam as revision, and got 100 UMS in the exam (that's the 2013 paper btw)
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.
Reply 8
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
I wish you the best of luck

But those two things in bold don't go together. D in maths and physics? Maths especially is a subject where hard work = past papers, and nailing that so you can pretty much guarantee what grade you get come the real thing.*

You can get high predictions, but without the possibility of re-applying as you have mentioned, it's going to be ****ing serious hard-work.

*For example, I am not great at maths. But I did 22 C3 past papers before the exam as revision, and got 100 UMS in the exam (that's the 2013 paper btw)

Without the possibility of re-applying as in taking a gap year then applying?

I did all past papers available for edexcel. And yes I was expecting either an A or B in both Maths a physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Re-sitting whilst trying to do A2's at the same time can be a struggle. There is a lot of work and you might find yourself being even more stressed. But everyone's different and it also depends on what you actually need to re-sit. You may only need to re-sit a couple of exams which will pull your grades up. But do what you feel you can cope with, and if you don't get what you want, its not the end of the world! There are so many options out there

I will have to apply with my current marks correct? Or will I leave a blank space to be filled next August when I get my resit marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without the possibility of re-applying as in taking a gap year then applying?

I did all past papers available for edexcel. And yes I was expecting either an A or B in both Maths a physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

a) Yes, that's what I meant. You're right, it wouldn't be re-applying if you hadn't applied in the first place before taking a gap year.

b) No you didn't, even friends of mine who got 97%+ ums average in further maths didn't do that.
I will have to apply with my current marks correct? Or will I leave a blank space to be filled next August when I get my resit marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Current marks
Reply 12
Current marks

I read somewhere that I would place "pending" on the modules that I will be re-sitting without showing the current marks. Is that correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read somewhere that I would place "pending" on the modules that I will be re-sitting without showing the current marks. Is that correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something like that. I'm not sure, but someone on here will be able to help you on that front
Reply 14
Something like that. I'm not sure, but someone on here will be able to help you on that front

Thanks for the help. I'm quite confused on what to do to stand a chance to receive an offer from them without having to take a gap year, could you please advise me?

Thanks for the help. I'm quite confused on what to do to stand a chance to receive an offer from them without having to take a gap year, could you please advise me?

That is why it is difficult. Get high predictions for starters (they really should match or indeed exceed the highest grade requirements you are applying to), and indicate somehow that your're resitting on UCAS (which you may need to research or ask about how that works).

At the end of the day, if a university makes an offer it is conditional on grades (i.e. your position come August 2015). So while low ASs aren't great, if you get the grades for the offer in the end it is irrelevant as you have ultimately met the offer and required standard.
Reply 16
That is why it is difficult. Get high predictions for starters (they really should match or indeed exceed the highest grade requirements you are applying to), and indicate somehow that your're resitting on UCAS (which you may need to research or ask about how that works).

At the end of the day, if a university makes an offer it is conditional on grades (i.e. your position come August 2015). So while low ASs aren't great, if you get the grades for the offer in the end it is irrelevant as you have ultimately met the offer and required standard.

Thank you! Ok, by saying getting high predictions for starters, I understood that as high predictions for A2, am I correct?
I will ask on how to mention the resits on my ucas application
Thank you

Thank you! Ok, by saying getting high predictions for starters, I understood that as high predictions for A2, am I correct?
I will ask on how to mention the resits on my ucas application
Thank you

Indeed you are
Reply 18

What extra curriculum can one take? Are those subjects or something else?
Thank you

Reply 19
I was getting B's in my psychology mocks and ended up with a U?! Most people in my college also got a U, not many got more than an E, so annoying and frustrating :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending