The Student Room Group

Will you meet your personal targets for GCSE?

I know we're all doubting ourselves with results day so close, but I'd be interested to hear what your targets were prior to the exams - and whether you think you've achieved them :smile:
Obviously school gives us target grades but we also set out own personal target grades. I'm personally not concerned with schools targets for me, I know the subjects I want to do well in (maths, chem, phys, hist) and the ones I'm happy to pass (English, sociology).

My personal targets were 7A*s, 5As and 1B
My school targets were 11A*s and 2As
I reckon I got 6A*s, 6As and 1B

However, I really dislike the way school gives us targets and almost forces us to stay on track with them. Okay, I understand where they're coming from but I'm going to be pleased with a B in English, genuinely pleased but teachers had me coming back to revision sessions and extra help because I wasn't on my A target grade. There's a reason I set myself this target and if I'm going to be pleased with that grade on results day, why do they have to push me further? Many of my friends have said the same thing, if they're happy then why make life difficult and stressful for us?

I think students can easily make their own targets, realistic but something to aim for. We're not stupid, we know what we can and can't do. This is why on results day I'm only going to compare my own personal targets with my results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Dontknowhy
Obviously school gives us target grades but we also set out own personal target grades. I'm personally not concerned with schools targets for me, I know the subjects I want to do well in (maths, chem, phys, hist) and the ones I'm happy to pass (English, sociology).

My personal targets were 7A*s, 5As and 1B
My school targets were 11A*s and 2As
I reckon I got 6A*s, 6As and 1B

However, I really dislike the way school gives us targets and almost forces us to stay on track with them. Okay, I understand where they're coming from but I'm going to be pleased with a B in English, genuinely pleased but teachers had me coming back to revision sessions and extra help because I wasn't on my A target grade. There's a reason I set myself this target and if I'm going to be pleased with that grade on results day, why do they have to push me further? Many of my friends have said the same thing, if they're happy then why make life difficult and stressful for us?

I think students can easily make their own targets, realistic but something to aim for. We're not stupid, we know what we can and can't do. This is why on results day I'm only going to compare my own personal targets with my results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from. My school predicted 6 A's and 4 B's for my GCSE's in year 10 - the A's being English Lang, English Lit, Geography, History, French and German, the B's being Maths, Core Science, Additional Science and RE.

Despite Science and Maths being my weak subjects by a significant distance compared to the others, I achieved 2 marks off an A in Core Science in year 10 and was delighted, but they put me in for a re-take this year anyway as I was so close. I suppose that shows that they can be inaccurate.

I hope you get what you aim for, as like you say, you're the best judge of how good you are. 6 A*, 6 A and 1 B will get you a long way :smile:
Original post by AdAbsurdum
Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from. My school predicted 6 A's and 4 B's for my GCSE's in year 10 - the A's being English Lang, English Lit, Geography, History, French and German, the B's being Maths, Core Science, Additional Science and RE.

Despite Science and Maths being my weak subjects by a significant distance compared to the others, I achieved 2 marks off an A in Core Science in year 10 and was delighted, but they put me in for a re-take this year anyway as I was so close. I suppose that shows that they can be inaccurate.

I hope you get what you aim for, as like you say, you're the best judge of how good you are. 6 A*, 6 A and 1 B will get you a long way :smile:

Thanks! And good luck to you on Thursday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaNick
My target is my predicted grades which is 9 A*a and 2 As, I think I've got them except maybe a B in Spanish but I don't really care about that subject. I just want A*s in maths, physics, chemistry and Chinese as they are my alevel options.

Wow, there's evidently lots of intelligent people on TSR...

Best of luck with them :smile:
Reply 5
I'm predicted 14 A*s, but I won't get them. The best estimate I can give is 8 A*s, 3 As and 3 Bs, but I'm not sure I'll manage that either.
I'm predicted 11A*s, but I doubt I'll get that-it's always been a pretty optimistic prediction.

I think it's more likely to be around 6A*s, 4As and 1B. :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
My predictions are rubbish compared to everyone else's
Predictions:
Maths B - Think I've achieved
Literature A - I messed up the 2nd exam so no :/
Additional Science C - Think I could achieve a B
History B - Hoping I've achieved at least an A
Geography C - Think I've achieved
French B - Think I've achieved
Textiles C - Think I've achieved at least a B
Art C - Think I've achieved at least a B
Original post by AdAbsurdum
I know we're all doubting ourselves with results day so close, but I'd be interested to hear what your targets were prior to the exams - and whether you think you've achieved them :smile:

Well my school has an outside organisation who predicts our grades and also
the school predicts our grades.
My personal target is to pass Maths and that's all I care about!
My predicted grades are 10A* and 1A^ (A* with distinction - hashtag further maths problems)
but let's face it I haven't got a chance in hell of getting that, both english literature and geography ****ed me up lmao
I managed it in my mocks but it's never going to happen this time around
(all I want is no Bs rn)
I'm predicted around 6 A*'s and 5 A's, but I don't think I've done that well. I think I got maybe 2/3 A*s, 5/6 A's and a couple of B's.

I desperately hope I haven't got any B's though as that was one of my main targets.
Well personally, my grades will be decent i know that, but i know for sure that i could have done a lot better, i blame my school for not motivating me but instead bullying me into trying hard.
my school targets is 1D 2Cs 8Bs :frown:
my personal is 10Bs and 1C :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest