The Student Room Group

Edinburgh vs UCL dilemma for this upcoming September, all help appreciated!!!

So, I originally applied to study ESPS at UCL this upcoming September, which is a combination of the social sciences and a language. I planned to narrow it down to international relations in the second year, and French and was extremely excited - I liked the look of the course and believed London was the place to be.

This course required A*AA...I got AAA. However on results day I realised that my school hadnt pulled me out of History, a subject I had dropped at A2 and saw that I had managed to achieve an E. Of course UCL were quite confused and didn't update my track. I called them and sorted it out, and they said they would get back to me.

Due to me not achieving the A*, and so as not to waste time if I got bad news I contacted Edinburgh and was offered a place to study Politics and French. The course in fact is much the same as ESPS due to being able to take other modules and I fail to see all that large a difference.

Now, I called up UCL's ug admissions and told them that Edinburgh was offering me a place, and that I would like to know soon what would be happening ie given a place or not. The woman then informed me that the chance of being offered a place was unlikely due to my grades and proceeded to say "good luck at Edinburgh".

My track was updated a few hours later with a rejection and I went into clearing and took my place from Edinburgh...

For the next few hours I started to appreciate the course at Edinburgh, the city and other features and cosied to the idea. I realised that the situation was not all too bad and I would likely enjoy myself.

Of course there was a twist, the lady from the ESPS department at UCL emailed me later that night:

"Our Admissions Tutor has requested that your place be confirmed but we are awaiting additional confirmation from undergraduate admissions. I’m sorry we cannot give you a completely firm answer at the moment, but I’ll contact you again as soon as I have any further information. "

And I was pissed, I really was. I was now fixed on Edinburgh and this curveball was thrown at me, putting me in an a hard situation. Whilst I initially loved the course at UCL I realised Edinburgh was quite similar, and warmed to the idea of a more studenty experience.

Whilst I know the email isnt exactly a firm confirmation of a place, I'm lost.

So I'm asking for some help deciding if UCL come back offering me a place. I've spoken to my parents and my mum is in favor of UCL due to me having wanted to go to that course for ages, however I feel my wishes have changed a bit, and I said that I might pick Edinburgh so as to have a student experience as I see myself working in London for much of my future.

What would you guys do??? I realise some see UCL as more prestigious and may choose it on that basis, and the thought does niggle at me, however I am truly in favor of Edinburgh.

Some outside thoughts would be great!
I'm currently in Edinburgh for a summer internship and I would say go for it. BUT call Edinburgh and ask what contingency plans they have for rUK students in case of a Yes vote.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I'm currently in Edinburgh for a summer internship and I would say go for it. BUT call Edinburgh and ask what contingency plans they have for rUK students in case of a Yes vote.

No chance of a Yes vote - the Commonwealth games and Alex Salmonds poor performance put an end to that
Reply 3
bump
Original post by apolocreed
bump

RE the subject of a YES vote, I wouldn't worry at all about that. If it happens then actual independence won't be for another few years, and any changes to university policy that will affect students are very unlikely to affect you if you're already studying at Edinburgh. This was the case with the tuition fee rises, after all. Students already at university in England, and English students in Scottish universities, continued to pay only £3000 a year.

I study at Edinburgh myself, so ask any questions you may have :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JuliusDS92

I study at Edinburgh myself, so ask any questions you may have :smile:

Perfect, ok if I make a list?

1. How do the politics and language departments seem to rank within the UK, and do people you know who do any of these subjects enjoy them, possibly have any negative comments??

2. What do people think of the erasmus year abroad, I know that the course at UCL actually skips doing erasmus, relying on pre arranged settlements with other universities.

3. What are Pollock Halls like, are people generally satisfied with the accommodation and food?

That's all I can think of at the moment, though I'm sure I'll be able to think of a few more questions.

Thanks x
Original post by apolocreed
Perfect, ok if I make a list?

1. How do the politics and language departments seem to rank within the UK, and do people you know who do any of these subjects enjoy them, possibly have any negative comments??

2. What do people think of the erasmus year abroad, I know that the course at UCL actually skips doing erasmus, relying on pre arranged settlements with other universities.

3. What are Pollock Halls like, are people generally satisfied with the accommodation and food?

That's all I can think of at the moment, though I'm sure I'll be able to think of a few more questions.

Thanks x

I should have mentioned I actually do physics! But I'll answer as best I can. My flatmate last year was doing taking politics, economics and arabic and seemed happy with it. There's also an active politics society, and several language societies. There's a lot of scope for studying abroad. Check this out:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/international-office/exchanges/erasmus

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/international-office/exchanges/international-exchange

I don't know anyone who's personally done it by it's something I'm hoping to do next year :smile:

I wasn't in Pollock Halls so I can't comment on that. I was in South Clerk Street, which I'd avoid if possible (mice, fire alarms that go off all the time and we had a room that was basically underground).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending