The Student Room Group

How Important Is Accreditation By The IoP?

Since receiving an offer, the course I applied for lost its accreditation. They've given me the chance to change to another course that is slightly different (slightly worse for me) but is accredited.

How important is it to be accredited? Will it hold me back particularly in the future? At the moment I want to go onto postgraduate research by I want to leave the doors open for as many options as possible
I don't really know (so I suggest waiting for someone who knows their ****), but it strikes me that accreditation by somewhere (whether it's the IoP or not) is extremely important. Otherwise, what distinguishes your degree from one nabbed from some bizarre diploma mill? You don't want to be a Gillian McKeith or Kent Hovind.
Original post by Implication
I don't really know (so I suggest waiting for someone who knows their ****), but it strikes me that accreditation by somewhere (whether it's the IoP or not) is extremely important. Otherwise, what distinguishes your degree from one nabbed from some bizarre diploma mill? You don't want to be a Gillian McKeith or Kent Hovind.

Well it could be recognised by the IoP, which is different to being accredited. If you want to do research then it makes absolutely no difference (I have emailed the IoP about it). If you want to get a job in investment banking or something, then it will play an impact, as they may want you to become a Chartered Physicist.
Reply 3
Original post by BestProfileName
Well it could be recognised by the IoP, which is different to being accredited. If you want to do research then it makes absolutely no difference (I have emailed the IoP about it). If you want to get a job in investment banking or something, then it will play an impact, as they may want you to become a Chartered Physicist.

Thank you, research is what I'm interested in, but I want to keep my options open, so I'll have to decide

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending