The Student Room Group

I desperately need help getting back into uni

Hello,

I am a "mature" student. I say that because I'm 22 and still don't know anything about the world.

I was at the University of Manchester. I didn't do very well in a maths module and I got kicked out.

I want to get back into uni. Leeds, Manchester, or Liverpool preferably.

My A Levels aren't good enough for year one entry. I have BBD, and took them in 2009/2010. I did chem, physics, biology.

My question is, would is be better for me to do an access to HE course in science or engineering or try and do an A Level in maths and resit my physics exams that I have a D in?

Any advice would be great as I need to get something sorted for September.

Cheers.
Reply 1
Access would seem a logical route for you. The type of Access course will depend on what the degree and uni require, so you'll probably need to email a few Admissions Offices to figure that aspect out.

Your A Levels are probably not relevant for mature student entry, so don't worry about resitting unless you get feedback from the unis that this is necessary.
It depends on what you want to study. Access is easier to do - not in terms of how challenging the work is, but in terms of finding a college that will take you at your age. However, if you want to do something like physics, maths or engineering for a degree, good A Levels will open more doors. It's not impossible from Access (I'm about to start a physics degree after doing one) but you will be restricted in your choice of universities. As Klix88 suggests, get in touch with your preferred unis and ask for their advice.
Reply 3
Original post by Schadenfreude65
It depends on what you want to study. Access is easier to do - not in terms of how challenging the work is, but in terms of finding a college that will take you at your age. However, if you want to do something like physics, maths or engineering for a degree, good A Levels will open more doors. It's not impossible from Access (I'm about to start a physics degree after doing one) but you will be restricted in your choice of universities. As Klix88 suggests, get in touch with your preferred unis and ask for their advice.

That said my experience is more uni's are opening up to access and
their understanding of them is greater. I have a friend who got interviewed for Camridge, and Bristol and is now going to Cardiff all at the upper echelon of UK uni's.

There still some uni's that are a bit sniffy but overall I would definitely go with Access. Or if you c an fast track A-level.
Original post by Tom_91
That said my experience is more uni's are opening up to access and
their understanding of them is greater. I have a friend who got interviewed for Camridge, and Bristol and is now going to Cardiff all at the upper echelon of UK uni's.

There still some uni's that are a bit sniffy but overall I would definitely go with Access. Or if you c an fast track A-level.

Generally, I agree with what you're saying, but it's harder to get into certain science degrees because the universities often say that you need more maths than Access courses generally offer. It really depends on what the OP wants to study.
Reply 5
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Generally, I agree with what you're saying, but it's harder to get into certain science degrees because the universities often say that you need more maths than Access courses generally offer. It really depends on what the OP wants to study.

Agree with you on that one sometimes certain other things needed to be taken alongside the access course. But in general it is a really good route.
Yeah, Access has worked out really well for me. I do recommend it, as long as it's acceptable for the degree you want to pursue.
Reply 7
Yes research beforehand order those prospectuses ring admin etc :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending