The Student Room Group

Psychology vs history a level

which one to choose :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Are you deciding on which one to drop/keep?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by qewrtyu

I personally think you should so history cos it's regarded as a much better a-level! What other subjects are you doing!
Well there was that girl with 8 A*'s and 3 A's so doing an extra A Level shouldn't be too much hassle!

As long as you have a good idea what you are going to do with subjects in your life then there shouldn't be a problem to study both of them.
Reply 4
Original post by Righteous Lie
Are you deciding on which one to drop/keep?

Posted from TSR Mobile

which one to take for a level. but then again doing both psychology and history and dropping maths is another option :/
Reply 5
Original post by qewrtyu

I did both at AS. Personally, Psychology was too much for me. I also didn't find it as interesting as it seemed. History on the other hand:awesome: Also, History is more respectable when applying to universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do History! :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Protagoras
Well there was that girl with 8 A*'s and 3 A's so doing an extra A Level shouldn't be too much hassle!

As long as you have a good idea what you are going to do with subjects in your life then there shouldn't be a problem to study both of them.

lol depends how smart you are. I read about all these people and start panicking D:
Reply 8
Original post by Sanjy98
I personally think you should so history cos it's regarded as a much better a-level! What other subjects are you doing!

actually there's a high chance I'll end up doing IB but my other choices are bio, chem and maths
On a followup to my original comment, although I am biased to History due to me choosing it as the degree to study at Uni, I did do both Psycho and History in Year 12 and Psychology was honestly awful and so I dropped it in Year 13
Reply 10
Original post by AbdulKoyes
On a followup to my original comment, although I am biased to History due to me choosing it as the degree to study at Uni, I did do both Psycho and History in Year 12 and Psychology was honestly awful and so I dropped it in Year 13

oh:s-smilie: what was so bad about it?
Do you have an idea what career you would like to do and do you have a degree choice in mind?
Psychology :biggrin:
I didn't do history, so i can't actually compare them.
What are your other subjects, subjects preference for uni, uni preference? This will make a difference to the subjects. If possible id take both. Psychology is interesting but a lot of material to remember.
Reply 14
Original post by Protagoras
Do you have an idea what career you would like to do and do you have a degree choice in mind?

Probably some science related degree at uni. no idea about career :s-smilie:
What Uni would you aim to attend and to do what course?

I'd say History off the cuff but I'm biased :mmm:
Reply 16
Original post by I Procrastinate
Psychology :biggrin:
I didn't do history, so i can't actually compare them.

How did you find it?
History and Psychology are both good subjects. History is well regarded it is difficult and there is a fair bit of work but it is very interesting. There is a lot of essay writing in History. But History has course work
Psychology the first year you don't have essay writing. You have 1 mark to 12 mark questions. The first year is more learning experiments. Whereas the second year you have essay writing. You also have to include debates between nature and nurture theories. You also have a module in research method and basic statistic ( I personally found this really hard). Psychology is interesting though. It does get harder in the second year through personal experience.

Psychology modules were: Conformity, memory, attachment, stress and abnormality. A2 modules: eating behaviour, schizophrenia, relationships, aggression, research methods,
Reply 18
Original post by MathsGirl
What are your other subjects, subjects preference for uni, uni preference? This will make a difference to the subjects. If possible id take both. Psychology is interesting but a lot of material to remember.

bio, chem, maths
something sciency :/
a london uni I guess but not sure yet
Reply 19
Original post by JayJay-C19
What Uni would you aim to attend and to do what course?

I'd say History off the cuff but I'm biased :mmm:

Russell group uni, something sciency
how did you find history?

Quick Reply

Latest