The Student Room Group

A level and BTEC choices?

I've got my results back from my AS levels. Disappointing EEEC (Biology, chemistry, maths, psychology) Psych was the C! I'm wanting to do forensic science at uni, and my tutors are recommending to do the BTEC level 3 applied science instead of resitting. Because apparently doing a BTEC is perfect for what i want to do at uni. But im unsure wether to just leave it at that and do the BTEC, or do an A level with it aswell? Say, biology? As it might make me have more of a chance of getting accepted into uni! The reason for my poor grades is that i didnt try hard enough at all, and i know in my BTEC i will try the hardest i can to get Ms and Ds. Possibly D* if i try a lot. I did well in my GCSE's (straight As) I just seemed to didnt try hard enough this year for some reason.

So yeah, just wondering if doing the A-level along with the BTEC is necessary?
Firstly, you need to think very carefully about your plan to do Forensic Science at University. I attended a talk recently by an academic at the University of Oxford, and he said that a degree in a pure science like Chemistry is much, much better for people intending to do Forensic Science than doing Forensic Science, however counterintuitive it may seem. According to this academic, the biggest recruiters in Forensic Science in the UK do not accept graduates in Forensic Science because they do not think that these courses teach enough pure science for the profession. If you really do want to go into Forensic Science (which, as a warning, is a very saturated area), you would be strongly advised to study something like Chemistry rather than Forensic Science.

Secondly, BTECs are not academic qualifications, whereas Universities are academic institutions. If you find that you do much better at BTECs than A Levels, University might not be the place for you. You probably can get into Forensic Science via BTECs (since Forensic Science degrees seem to have low entry requirements, partly causing the problems detailed above) but I'm not sure if that's a particularly advisable pathway.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Firstly, you need to think very carefully about your plan to do Forensic Science at University. I attended a talk recently by an academic at the University of Oxford, and he said that a degree in a pure science like Chemistry is much, much better for people intending to do Forensic Science than doing Forensic Science, however counterintuitive it may seem. According to this academic, the biggest recruiters in Forensic Science in the UK do not accept graduates in Forensic Science because they do not think that these courses teach enough pure science for the profession. If you really do want to go into Forensic Science (which, as a warning, is a very saturated area), you would be strongly advised to study something like Chemistry rather than Forensic Science.

Secondly, BTECs are not academic qualifications, whereas Universities are academic institutions. If you find that you do much better at BTECs than A Levels, University might not be the place for you. You probably can get into Forensic Science via BTECs (since Forensic Science degrees seem to have low entry requirements, partly causing the problems detailed above) but I'm not sure if that's a particularly advisable pathway.

Okay, so say if wanted to do biomed, would a BTEC be enough? Or maybe would a degree in forensic science with chemisty be better?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tinabeans
Okay, so say if wanted to do biomed, would a BTEC be enough?

Universities are academic. It doesn't make a difference what subject you're studying. I am aware that there are many courses you can get onto by doing BTECs, but that doesn't mean it's a particularly good idea.
Reply 4
Universities are academic. It doesn't make a difference what subject you're studying. I am aware that there are many courses you can get onto by doing BTECs, but that doesn't mean it's a particularly good idea.

Okay, so what about if i did forensic science with chemistry? Would that be a better option and leave me to more open choices in the future and would it look better to employers?
Okay, so what about if i did forensic science with chemistry? Would that be a better option and leave me to more open choices in the future and would it look better to employers?

Pure chemistry is probably better than Forensic Science with Chemistry. Obviously there's no point if you're bored to death, but according to this academic, Forensic Science recruiters want Chemists. The 'Forensic Science' part can easily be taught on the Job - what they want are people with a good, rigorous foundation in science.
Reply 6
Pure chemistry is probably better than Forensic Science with Chemistry. Obviously there's no point if you're bored to death, but according to this academic, Forensic Science recruiters want Chemists. The 'Forensic Science' part can easily be taught on the Job - what they want are people with a good, rigorous foundation in science.

Ah i see, thank you. Would a pure biology degree do the same as a pure chemistry degree?
Ah i see, thank you. Would a pure biology degree do the same as a pure chemistry degree?

I don't know that much about Forensic Science so I don't know, but I would assume that a Chemistry degree would be much, much better since Forensic Science is basically mainly analytical Chemistry. If you don't like the idea of studying pure Chemistry, Forensic Science might not be for you.

Quick Reply

Latest