The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I really think we missed a chance at signing the ideal striker with Mandzukic, he would have fitted into our system so well. Essentially a better version of Giroud and more depth too, to that position. At the time I was dismissive of him, but now I realise otherwise. They were asking for £20m afaik, that is an absolute bargain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
:dice:

Olivia Wilde was unknown back then as well, looking back at it now is definitely better.

Olivia Wilde :coma:
Poor Tom, trying to talk sense with football but the lads are just going on about chicks :lol:
Reply 4004
Original post by Tom_Ford
I really think we missed a chance at signing the ideal striker with Mandzukic, he would have fitted into our system so well. Essentially a better version of Giroud and more depth too, to that position. At the time I was dismissive of him, but now I realise otherwise. They were asking for £20m afaik, that is an absolute bargain.

We really need to add to our strike force.

Watching Aguero today just saddened me.. Such a fantasticly brilliant footballer

And he was brought on for Dzeko, and they got ****ing Jovetic too.

We got Giroud, Sanogo & Campbell FFS. Non of whom would make it into the city team.

I'm all for keeping our players, but we just need a star to lead our line.. An absolute beast :frown:
Original post by SHOO
We really need to add to our strike force.

Watching Aguero today just saddened me.. Such a fantasticly brilliant footballer

And he was brought on for Dzeko, and they got ****ing Jovetic too.

We got Giroud, Sanogo & Campbell FFS. Non of whom would make it into the city team.

I'm all for keeping our players, but we just need a star to lead our line.. An absolute beast :frown:

Mandzukic would have been sufficient imo. Sanogo is nowhere near ready and he might not ever be. Campbell is a good backup, Giroud is a good alternating striker. We can win games against the top teams if Mandzukic/Giroud play their role as the big striker up top that plays in the others. Mandzukic is also a big game player, and has played at the very highest level. So, Wenger really dun goofed there.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Poor Tom, trying to talk sense with football but the lads are just going on about chicks :lol:

Not just any chicks though. Olivia Wilde. :wink:

Mandzukic would have been sufficient imo. Sanogo is nowhere near ready and he might not ever be. Campbell is a good backup, Giroud is a good alternating striker. We can win games against the top teams if Mandzukic/Giroud play their role as the big striker up top that plays in the others. Mandzukic is also a big game player, and has played at the very highest level. So, Wenger really dun goofed there.

Mandzukic really is not as good as you think. He is a big name, but I really don't think he is good enough. I would compare him to Jovetic as he had a good career, but as soon as he reached the PL he wouldn't hit his previous form.
Original post by BenAssirati
Not just any chicks though. Olivia Wilde. :wink:

Mandzukic really is not as good as you think. He is a big name, but I really don't think he is good enough. I would compare him to Jovetic as he had a good career, but as soon as he reached the PL he wouldn't hit his previous form.

He is not a prolific goalscorer yes, but he is a better version of Giroud imo. Certainly a tougher character that does not does not do that daft look after he messes up a chance (ala Giroud).

Mandzukic doesnt get anywhere near the credit he deserves really, he really leads the line exceptionally well and in an unselfish way, whilst being ruthless with the chances that he gets. And he's just one of those Slavic strikers like Ibra that are hardnuts and give the team an edge. You can see him at Stamford Bridge having John Terry by the throat etc, and that kind of mentality is important imo.

Wenger seems to love big physical strikers so it's really strange that we're playing Sanogo(basically Championship quality) when we also spent >£20m on RBs alone this summer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Mandzukic doesnt get anywhere near the credit he deserves really, he really leads the line exceptionally well and in an unselfish way, whilst being ruthless with the chances that he gets. And he's just one of those Slavic strikers like Ibra that are hardnuts and give the team an edge. You can see him at Stamford Bridge having John Terry by the throat etc, and that kind of mentality is important imo.

Wenger seems to love big physical strikers so it's really strange that we're playing Sanogo(basically Championship quality) when we also spent >£20m on RBs alone this summer.

I remember Sanogo throwing around Agger and Skrtl like paper weights last season, same with Dante. He's no Jack Wilshere that's for sure.
Original post by Zürich
Mandzukic doesnt get anywhere near the credit he deserves really, he really leads the line exceptionally well and in an unselfish way, whilst being ruthless with the chances that he gets. And he's just one of those Slavic strikers like Ibra that are hardnuts and give the team an edge

Not really, I don't think Wenger is immune to delusion and arrogance. He must see something in Sanogo the rest of us don't. Sadly, the evidence on the pitch lately in the premiership shows that his faith is somewhat misplaced. That has always been both the greatest strength and weakness Wenger has, too much faith in his players.

And yes, Mandzukic would really have been the ideal Wenger big physical striker. I really like the demeanour of the guy too, we've missed that assured arrogance up top.
Original post by barneystin
I remember Sanogo throwing around Agger and Skrtl like paper weights last season, same with Dante. He's no Jack Wilshere that's for sure.

Probably the one thing about Sanogo that impresses really.

His first touch, composure, link up etc though is much much worse than Bendtner/Adebayor at the same age just for a reference point. Definitely doesnt look like a goalscorer either.

If we wanted to to get a project like that, then we should have signed Origi.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

His first touch, composure, link up etc though is much much worse than Bendtner/Adebayor at the same age just for a reference point. Definitely doesnt look like a goalscorer either.

He is bloody awful, remember watching the Belgium game and my Dad saying how he is atrocious at everything in every game.
Original post by Zürich

In fairness, I don't think the Palace game gives a good reference point. He looked good counter attacking vs Benfica, but when Palace put 10 men behind the ball he couldn't really do much. Think he needs a run of games, but equally think Campbell should be ahead of him.

Yeah his first touch etc. is terrible, but I swear he came out of some U21 tournament in Turkey or something being revered for a great first touch and link up play?

And I do think he would have got his first goal against Bayern if Neuer didn't make a Neuer save:unimpressed:
Vargas rumours picking up. Hopefully that means Sanogo never has to play in anything but the league cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He is not a prolific goalscorer yes, but he is a better version of Giroud imo. Certainly a tougher character that does not does not do that daft look after he messes up a chance (ala Giroud).

The tongue one?

Spoiler

Original post by barneystin
In fairness, I don't think the Palace game gives a good reference point. He looked good counter attacking vs Benfica, but when Palace put 10 men behind the ball he couldn't really do much. Think he needs a run of games, but equally think Campbell should be ahead of him.

Yeah his first touch etc. is terrible, but I swear he came out of some U21 tournament in Turkey or something being revered for a great first touch and link up play?

And I do think he would have got his first goal against Bayern if Neuer didn't make a Neuer save:unimpressed:

Didn't he score a goal which was unfairly given offside?
The tongue one?

Spoiler

Yeah, that one. It feels like he is taunting us with how **** he is at times.
Didn't he score a goal which was unfairly given offside?

i dont beleive so.

i was referring to his shot at 0:58

panic in the box (recurring theme with him?) and a shot out of nowhere, decent power too.
Yeah, that one. It feels like he is taunting us with how **** he is at times.

It's like he was learning English and thought ':P' was a legitimate emotion to show.

Latest