The Student Room Group

Oxford material??

I am in love with oxford but I don't know if I'm right/ even good enough to get in. So I thought I'd ask??

Academically:
Gcse's: 8A*'s one A (English language) and a B in an early AS (science in society)

AS: 4 A's in maths, biology, chemistry and physics

And I've already completed my maths A level and got an A*.

Other stuff:
I'm a physics prefect at school.
I'm a maths prefect.
I run astronomy club, science club and help with maths club and zoology society.
I'm a mentor in maths and physics.
I organise the sixth form mentoring scheme for the lower years.
I won the best physicist of the year award under the Ogden trust.

(Want to study physics by the way)

But I'm worried I'm going to mess up the PAT or interview.... I'm so scared because I am honestly in love with oxford (particularly Merton). Any advice?? Do you think I'm good enough.... Or should I try to do something extra to get an edge. Any advice would be most appreciated.

P.s. I'm a 17 year old girl who has just finished her AS's if that helps. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

F yeah for wanting to study physics at oxford. Your application sounds very strong to me!
Original post by PhysGeek
I am in love with oxford but I don't know if I'm right/ even good enough to get in. So I thought I'd ask??

Academically:
Gcse's: 8A*'s one A (English literature) and a B in an early AS (science in society)

Other stuff:
I'm a maths prefect.
I run astronomy club, science club and help with maths club and zoology society.

But I'm worried I'm going to mess up the PAT or interview.... I'm so scared because I am honestly in love with oxford (particularly Merton). Any advice?? Do you think I'm good enough.... Or should I try to do something extra to get an edge. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it, you're certainly good enough on paper
Reply 3
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
Go for it, you're certainly good enough on paper

That's the thing. I'm worried I'm only a "looks good on paper" student. I'm so worried about the interview because what if I freeze (I'm relatively shy) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the thing. I'm worried I'm only a "looks good on paper" student. I'm so worried about the interview because what if I freeze (I'm relatively shy) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look, you should definitely give it a shot.

Everyone has nerves about interview - but practice a few mock interviews should help. I'm soon to be an arts fresher there, but I do know science interviews are more about problem solving than verbal argument and debate, if you get what I'm saying.
You have a fantastic set of academic results. I applied with AAAD at AS and still got an interview at Magdalen College and pooled/reinterviewed at Brasenose College. I would say one thing; try to do Further Maths as it helps a lot and the top rank universities love to see it as part of your A Levels, especially when applying for Physical Sciences.
Reply 6
Original post by Roarmaster
You have a fantastic set of academic results. I applied with AAAD at AS and still got an interview at Magdalen College and pooled/reinterviewed at Brasenose College. I would say one thing; try to do Further Maths as it helps a lot and the top rank universities love to see it as part of your A Levels, especially when applying for Physical Sciences.

Definitely doing further maths. I'm a massive maths geek too. And thank you for you time and advice!! I appreciate it.

And congrats on the interviews!! Xx
Original post by Roarmaster

You got an interview at Magdalen? That's amazing, going to Magdalen is my dream!!

Academically:
Gcse's: 8A*'s one A (English literature) and a B in an early AS (science in society)

Other stuff:
I'm a maths prefect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You certainly seem to have the grades, and lots of stuff for your personal statement :smile: I would definitely say go for it!
PAT is actually pretty simple - I think there are past paper questions online and it's just A level Physics/ Maths stuff anyway :smile:
Interviews are a bit scary, but actually once you're there they're not nearly as stressful - mine were actually pretty similar to my supervisions now, which I think was basically the idea. Your interviewers will not be trying to catch you out, just to see how you think through problems and check you're not one of those people who do really well in exams just by blank memorisation of facts - but that you actually understand and enjoy your subject. I'm one of the shyest people, but still managed to get through my Cambridge interviews :smile:

Make sure you prepare for your interviews by revising all your A level stuff and rereading any books you mentioned in your personal statement. In the interview, try and explain how you are thinking - e.g. if you don't really know how to solve a problem, just explain what you think could be one way of approaching it, point out any problems with your method, and don't be afraid to ask for suggestions if necessary :smile:
Definitely doing further maths. I'm a massive maths geek too. And thank you for you time and advice!! I appreciate it.

And congrats on the interviews!! Xx

I was interviewed at UCL, Oxford and Imperial. The UCL interview was nothing however the Imperial and Oxford ones were extremely tough; the Oxford one got the better of me but I'm off to UCL in September to read Chemistry with Mathematics so you could say I like Maths too. Oxford is fantastic and if you get an interview you will fall in love with the place.
Original post by geometrix
You got an interview at Magdalen? That's amazing, going to Magdalen is my dream!!

Magdalen College, Oxford is my favourite college but unfortunately one of the most competitive. I didn't get in for my undergraduate but maybe for my PhD or I might make my way there as a lecturer. Only time will tell!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A tutor told me that occasionally applicants do just freeze and say nothing. If that happens they just completely ignore it, and give them another interview. It happens, and it doesn't tell them anything about your ability to do the subject, so they just move on.
Reply 12
Original post by fluteflute
A tutor told me that occasionally applicants do just freeze and say nothing. If that happens they just completely ignore it, and give them another interview. It happens, and it doesn't tell them anything about your ability to do the subject, so they just move on.

That actually takes the pressure off slightly!! Thank you. Do you have any tips for the interview. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had worse than that (like I don't do chemistry, I only got 5A*s at GCSE etc) and I still got an interview for physics (which I then screwed up and probably left the interviewers thinking how the hell did this girl pass the pat but oh well)
go for it! it can't hurt to try, but apply to other unis that you like too (*cough* birmingham is great *cough*)
oh and if you do start revising now for the PAT, it seems really hard at first but I spent an hour or two (edit: an hour or two a week, not in total) going over past papers with my physics and maths teachers and by the actual test I could do it
(edited 9 years ago)
That actually takes the pressure off slightly!! Thank you. Do you have any tips for the interview. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the key thing is just to talk out loud, let them know what you're thinking :smile:

Academically:

Other stuff:
I'm a maths prefect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand why you wouldn't think you've got a chance. You've got nearly perfect GCSE results, you got the highest AS grades possible and you've already got an A* A2, along with a string of other accolades. Nobody here knows how well you'll do at interview, but I think it's pretty obvious that you've got a very good chance of getting in.
That is a very strong application, they'd especially like the A* already in maths.

I was in a similar position, I got 4 As having already applied to Oxford for Physics. If you have your heart destined on it then you must prepare well for both the PAT and interviews. Get old PAT papers, give them a go, they're not that bad really. It is very important to look at the specification for the PAT and brush up on areas you're not so familiar with, though the PAT test I took did not go to all of the extremes of the spec.

My choice for the uni I really wanted to go to was split between Oxford and Manchester. When I visited both, I decided that although Oxford was the nicer place, Manchester had both the better course and better department and didn't rely on reputation, stature, or the 'name' of the university to attract students (it was also a higher offer, which probably meant that it was in high demand, but I didn't pay much attention to that). Even before I had done my interviews, I had the feeling that I wanted to go to Manchester. I felt I didn't have to prepare as much as I should have done, if you want to desperately go to Oxford it should probably be for more reasons than the college or area and it would be a great idea to do a few practice interviews, talk to family/friends about why you want to do physics/be at Oxford and not to just try problems, but to explain the process behind your thinking and see if your answer looks reasonable.

My interviews did not go very well, I could tell that I was pausing a lot and not asking the right kind of questions (down to lack of preparation). Don't think that they are trying to trick you, there are almost never any trick questions. I wasn't offered a place at Oxford, but I was at Manchester and that made my mind up, I'm now off to Manchester in a month to start my course.

Sorry for rambling on. I wish you the best for your exams and for Oxford, but in the end you'll be happy where ever you go. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will be more likley to get in as women are less represented in the physical sciences. So to help diversity.
Original post by shahbaz
You will be more likley to get in as women are less represented in the physical sciences. So to help diversity.

That's not true.

If it was, more than than 17% of Oxford physicists would be female (e.g. at MIT where it's close to 50/50).
Reply 19
Original post by fluteflute
That's not true.

If it was, more than than 17% of Oxford physicists would be female (e.g. at MIT where it's close to 50/50).

17%?? That's more than I had anticipated but still rather low.... Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending