The Student Room Group

Opinions on A-Level Psychology?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meg321
I guess the effort will be worth it if I enjoy it, thank you for the heads up, I'm going to be on OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile

What other subjects are you thinking of taking?
Do you have in mind what you want to do in the future?
Reply 21
Original post by Meg321
Looking at taking Psychology at A-Level and I would like to hear how people find it and if they did well etc.

It was the most challenging but interesting subject for me :yep:
Reply 22
Original post by Claros
Do you know what exam board the school your going to offers? I have just done my AS psychology with OCR and really enjoyed the course. I got an A. It is a lot of work to memorise everything (for my exam board I had to remember 15 studies in detail as well as four research methods) however it is manageable as long as you put the work in early. It's much easier to remember things if you write detailed notes the first time around- I got an A with little revision coming up to the exams as I had worked hard continuously throughout the year and so could remember most of the information I needed. In terms of exam structure it varied- there were some longer answer questions (longest was 12 marks) however in AS I never needed to write any essays as such. I'm not sure what it's going to be like in A2 yet.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions. :smile:

How did you memorize all that :eek: Did you just re-write your notes over and over?
Original post by saeranee
How did you memorize all that :eek: Did you just re-write your notes over and over?

The thing is is that not all 15 studies come up in the exam in detail- there are 3 sections, so in the first section you get asked questions worth four marks on each of the studies. However the thing is is that you don't know on what aspect of the study the question is going to be based on, which is why you need to know everything about it.

I wrote detailed notes initially so that I would find it easier to remember. In class we had group discussions about the studies and if there were any difficulties we'd all help each other out. My teacher gave us booklets to do (essentially rewriting notes out on the studies, boring as hell but it worked) and team that with a ton of past paper questions. :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by Claros
The thing is is that not all 15 studies come up in the exam in detail- there are 3 sections, so in the first section you get asked questions worth four marks on each of the studies. However the thing is is that you don't know on what aspect of the study the question is going to be based on, which is why you need to know everything about it.

I wrote detailed notes initially so that I would find it easier to remember. In class we had group discussions about the studies and if there were any difficulties we'd all help each other out. My teacher gave us booklets to do (essentially rewriting notes out on the studies, boring as hell but it worked) and team that with a ton of past paper questions. :tongue:

Okayy ty :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by Jessicamcconnell
Hiya! Im right in the middle of my psychology A-level (going into A2 in september) got a high B in my AS. There will definitely be moments where you're sitting there like "umm...what? Is this in english?!" But it's just one of those subjects where you'll have ti read a few things more than once and be willing to ask for help when you need it! Definitely worth it

Well done, is wish you luck at A2! Thank you, I will keep it in mind that I am not alone when I don't understand some of it.
Reply 26
Original post by I Procrastinate
What other subjects are you thinking of taking?
Do you have in mind what you want to do in the future?

English Lit
Maths
Law
And maybe Philosophy if my GCSE results are good enough and my college want me to do 5 AS

No, I have no idea so I'm picking A-Levels according to what i enjoy hoping that will find me a good career path.
Original post by Meg321
English Lit
Maths
Law
And maybe Philosophy if my GCSE results are good enough and my college want me to do 5 AS

No, I have no idea so I'm picking A-Levels according to what i enjoy hoping that will find me a good career path.

Find out what the pass rate is like for english lit at your school. Last year, apparently not many people achieved what they were hoping for in the exam. This year i didn't get what i expected in the exam, but luckily my coursework pulled it up. Most likely going to resit it. Anyway, it all comes down to how good you are at it, i know some people who are practically blessed in that subject. My exam board was/is AQA.

AS Law is a hard subject. That has a lot of content and dates/names of cases that needs to be memorised. i don't know if thats the same for every exam board though. You will definitley need a good memory for that. i took BTEC law-it's fully cwk.

Overall, put the effort in and ohpefully you will get the grades you want! :smile:
Reply 28
Find out what the pass rate is like for english lit at your school. Last year, apparently not many people achieved what they were hoping for in the exam. This year i didn't get what i expected in the exam, but luckily my coursework pulled it up. Most likely going to resit it. Anyway, it all comes down to how good you are at it, i know some people who are practically blessed in that subject. My exam board was/is AQA.

AS Law is a hard subject. That has a lot of content and dates/names of cases that needs to be memorised. i don't know if thats the same for every exam board though. You will definitley need a good memory for that. i took BTEC law-it's fully cwk.

Overall, put the effort in and ohpefully you will get the grades you want! :smile:

I can't find the English lit pass rate but overall the college got A*-C pass rate of 98% this year.

Maybe I should do philosophy then, thank you for telling me!

I doubt I will do 5 as that would be way too much work I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321
I can't find the English lit pass rate but overall the college got A*-C pass rate of 98% this year.

Maybe I should do philosophy then, thank you for telling me!

I doubt I will do 5 as that would be way too much work I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what philosophy was like, but don't be put off by what i've written! Ask the teachers on enrolment day? If you don't mind me asking what grades are you hoping to achieve? A lot of people take such subjects, so dont be put off by me. I was just giving my personal experience. :redface:
Reply 30
I don't know what philosophy was like, but don't be put off by what i've written! Ask the teachers on enrolment day? If you don't mind me asking what grades are you hoping to achieve? A lot of people take such subjects, so dont be put off by me. I was just giving my personal experience. :redface:

I am still doing GCSEs so I will ask on open day. I also am not sure what grades I want to achieve as I haven't done my GCSE's yet, I am going into my final year in a few weeks. I am just trying to work out what I want to do now so I don't have to worry so much while doing school work. Personal experience is exactly what I need to hear! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there, i did AQA psychology (got a B) and i hated it. I didn't really know what to expect from it tbh but, i didn't enjoy it & and half slept through all the lessons in A2. If you don't enjoy at AS, it's probably worth dropping it at A2 (something i regret).
Original post by Meg321
I am still doing GCSEs so I will ask on open day. I also am not sure what grades I want to achieve as I haven't done my GCSE's yet, I am going into my final year in a few weeks. I am just trying to work out what I want to do now so I don't have to worry so much while doing school work. Personal experience is exactly what I need to hear! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh! Well then you have plenty of time left. It's nice to hear your working ahead.:smile: I wish i was like that. I guess my username says everything. :colondollar:
A-level: I did not enjoy it at the time when I was that age I found it pretty boring and samey. With hindsight it is quite interesting and I wish I'd paid more attention. If you are quite an academic person with an interest in your subjects at school then it is probably a solid option. If you're more sporty and not too great with homework/actually enjoying the subjects you do I would avoid it.

Beyond A level: You should make your choices regarding subjects with a view to your future. Decide if Psychology is the sort of subject that you are interested in enough to potentially do at university. If you could see yourself doing it at uni, that means it is probably going to be relevant to the degree you end up wanting to do, that doesn't necessarily mean Psychology. If for example you'd be interested in doing primary teaching and ending up as a teacher or social worker then Psychology a level could be a good, relevant option. If you think you might end up wanting to do medicine for example it is still slightly relevant but less so than a science, if you might end up doing engineering then its kind of irrelevant.

At university level the course "Psychology" is a very popular one and often over subscribed making competition fierce.
Reply 34
Oh! Well then you have plenty of time left. It's nice to hear your working ahead.:smile: I wish i was like that. I guess my username says everything. :colondollar:

Yeah I just want it out of the way, hahah we all have our moments :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One word: AMAZING!

I loved it so much at Alevel and got an A grade. I'll be studying it at uni soon

You need to like writing though as there's a lot of it involved!
Reply 36
Original post by Meg321
Looking at taking Psychology at A-Level and I would like to hear how people find it and if they did well etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did OCR psychology - got an A*

**** was boring as hell, all you gotta do is memorize studies and write them down on the exam page - no thought, intelligence or reason involved.

At least that makes it easy...
Reply 37
Original post by Secretnerd123
One word: AMAZING!

I loved it so much at Alevel and got an A grade. I'll be studying it at uni soon

You need to like writing though as there's a lot of it involved!

Well done! I'm considering doing it at uni if I enjoy it at A-Level. I no longer mind writing, after doing GCSE art and having too much practical coursework I've realised I prefer it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're not going to do A-levels next year I think after this the specification for OCR psychology is changing, so just be aware that we'll be basing our experiences on the old specification. Good that you're taking your time to think about your choices though. :smile:
I did ocr psychology and got an A in every unit for AS and A2 (didnt get the A* overall sadly). A2 is much more interesting but so much more work (we had to learn 56 studies, their evaluation and another research method exam). Our class did forensic psychology as one of the modules and we even got to go to a conference where we met ex convicts (one of the men even went to prison for manslaughter :eek: ) .Congrats on the A at AS. If you have any questions about a2 psych, ask me :biggrin:

Original post by Claros

Quick Reply

Latest