The Student Room Group

Nursing work experience

I am applying for Adult nursing in September 2014 for the following September 2015 and i am hoping to study at The University of Chester. I was just wondering what relative work experience do I need to gain access into university. I have been looking at volunteering in care homes but then that wouldn't be clinical experience if im only volunteering. What experience has anyone else got?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beccywoods92
I am applying for Adult nursing in September 2014 for the following September 2015 and i am hoping to study at The University of Chester. I was just wondering what relative work experience do I need to gain access into university. I have been looking at volunteering in care homes but then that wouldn't be clinical experience if im only volunteering. What experience has anyone else got?

Universities don't expect you to have work experience in a clinical environment, they just like you to have some care experience. So a care home is great work experience with lots of transferable skills which you can talk about in your personal statement. It's more about what skills you have learnt while working there rather than where you work. But if you can get some experience in a hospital it would be a bonus for you :smile:

I am working as a volunteer in a nursing home and also at a scouts group. I also have had a job in healthcare for the last 5 years.

Any work experience you can get with is related to developing interpersonal skills is what admissions teams are looking for. Plus it gives you something to talk about in your interview and PS and shows you are committed to the profession.

Hope that helps, and good luck finding something!

I got an unconditional offer to do child nursing this September without any work experience whatsoever but that might not be the case for different universities of course :smile:
I volunteer as a wayfinder in a hospital once a week. I think any experience is fine as long as you can apply it to why you want to become a nurse. For example, I explained how I'm often the first point if contact for someone visiting a patient and even patients themselves and that something as simple as giving directions can be a great help to people if you are calm, friendly and a good communicator
I got a place without healthcare experience for mental health nursing. My experience was in charities/campaigning (some specific MH stuff) but I think I talked about it relatively intelligently on my personal statement/interview so I was able to convince them I had the transferable skills.

I recommend volunteering/getting a job somewhere, if it's not directly clinical then don't worry there are still plenty of things you can gain from it. Even just working in a non healthcare public facing role it looks good as it shows you have people skills etc.
Reply 5

I am a children's student nurse at a uni in Lomdon, I did not have any clinical experience. To be honest I didn't have any health related experience. Just that I did some tutoring!

Good luck
Reply 6
I volunteered on a ward throughout Year 13, just chatting to patients and making tea and biscuits but it's still clinical experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by bartonhollow
I got an unconditional offer to do child nursing this September without any work experience whatsoever but that might not be the case for different universities of course :smile:

Can you help me I'm wanting to study children's nursing what can make me or them pick me help xx
Original post by Becca335
Can you help me I'm wanting to study children's nursing what can make me or them pick me help xx

I didn't really do anything special since I have no work experience but maybe it was my personal statement? I just talked about how my mum was a nurse and how I admire the profession etc, mentioned babysitting, helping out at a girl's kinda club thing. Also, there was no interview for my course so that made it a lot easier. But yeah I'd say a strong personal statement is pretty important. Sorry I can't be of more help! :frown:
Reply 9
I didn't really do anything special since I have no work experience but maybe it was my personal statement? I just talked about how my mum was a nurse and how I admire the profession etc, mentioned babysitting, helping out at a girl's kinda club thing. Also, there was no interview for my course so that made it a lot easier. But yeah I'd say a strong personal statement is pretty important. Sorry I can't be of more help! :frown:

What uni are you at and is it hard x thanks can you help me with my ps if I message you closer to the time
Original post by Becca335
What uni are you at and is it hard x thanks can you help me with my ps if I message you closer to the time

Glasgow Caledonian. Haven't started yet, starting in september :biggrin: and of course, yeah!
Reply 11
Glasgow Caledonian. Haven't started yet, starting in september :biggrin: and of course, yeah!

Thanks x can you tell me about the placements and what to exepect on the first year x thank you
Reply 12
do you know of any students that are studying for peadiatric nursing, im applying this year help!
Reply 13
Original post by amyc123
I volunteered on a ward throughout Year 13, just chatting to patients and making tea and biscuits but it's still clinical experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi sorry to bother you, im hoping to apply and gain a place for child nursing i need some help for the experieicnes please help !!
Reply 14

Spoiler

Original post by hafzaaa
I am a children's student nurse at a uni in Lomdon, I did not have any clinical experience. To be honest I didn't have any health related experience. Just that I did some tutoring!

Good luck

How is the course im hoping to apply for peadiatric nursing this year and hoping to study it im so passionate about it. What kind of experieince did you have and inculde in your ps
Reply 15
Original post by hafzaaa

Good luck

How is the course im hoping to apply for peadiatric nursing this year and hoping to study it im so passionate about it. What kind of experieince did you have and inculde in your ps
Reply 16

Where did you apply for?? Did you get more than one offer?
Original post by AliceB98
Where did you apply for?? Did you get more than one offer?

I applied for Glasgow Caledonian, Edinburgh Napier, Dundee and Robert Gordon. Yeah, I got offers from them all.
Reply 18
wow well good
You might need a years experience in healthcare. I'm currently a first year at Chester, and I believe they were talking about making clinical experience compulsory to be accepted by at least March '15 cohort.

Quick Reply

Latest