The Student Room Group

Opinions on A-Level Psychology?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Claros
If you're not going to do A-levels next year I think after this the specification for OCR psychology is changing, so just be aware that we'll be basing our experiences on the old specification. Good that you're taking your time to think about your choices though. :smile:

I have just looked it up and it looks like the changes will be happening the year I start which sucks, thank you for telling me, I'm definitely still up for doing the new course though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psychology AS level is great if you are fairly competent at memorizing information for exams and essay writing (both of which you will most likely done at GSCE). Out of all the subjects i took (geography,biology,chemistry) i found psychology was the least jump up from GSCES, as you can get marks from memorizing strings of sentences - just like at GSCE. Mind you, there's alot of content (including heaps of case studies) that you need to learn and this takes consistent revision from the start in september to get it all to sink in.

I got an A (89% Overall) at AS, and this was purely due to starting revision notes in september, and completing huge amounts of past paper questions throughout the year.

Good luck for AS!
Original post by Secretnerd123
I did ocr psychology and got an A in every unit for AS and A2 (didnt get the A* overall sadly). A2 is much more interesting but so much more work (we had to learn 56 studies, their evaluation and another research method exam). Our class did forensic psychology as one of the modules and we even got to go to a conference where we met ex convicts (one of the men even went to prison for manslaughter :eek: ) .Congrats on the A at AS. If you have any questions about a2 psych, ask me :biggrin:

My college had a similar trip, I didn't go though. I think the modules we're doing are forensic and clinical psychology. My teacher also said that A2 is much more interesting and I'm willing to put the work in especially as I'll have more free time due to dropping a subject. Thanks for the offer, if I have any questions I'll be sure to come to you. :smile:

Congrats on your A at A-level too :h:
Reply 43
Original post by lau43llis
Psychology AS level is great if you are fairly competent at memorizing information for exams and essay writing (both of which you will most likely done at GSCE). Out of all the subjects i took (geography,biology,chemistry) i found psychology was the least jump up from GSCES, as you can get marks from memorizing strings of sentences - just like at GSCE. Mind you, there's alot of content (including heaps of case studies) that you need to learn and this takes consistent revision from the start in september to get it all to sink in.

I got an A (89% Overall) at AS, and this was purely due to starting revision notes in september, and completing huge amounts of past paper questions throughout the year.

Good luck for AS!

Thank you! I'm going to make notes too as I regret not taking notes from the beginning of GCSE'S.
Good luck with A2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321
Looking at taking Psychology at A-Level and I would like to hear how people find it and if they did well etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did AQA A and got an A*, with full ums in 2 units...perfectly do-able to get a good grade, but i had to memorise about 30-40 essays for A2 so it can be time consuming. I'll be studying it at uni though now, and i love it :tongue:
Psychology is a subject you can't take on a whim because its there. So many people in my class failed because they didn't enjoy the subject. I studied psychology on the OCR exam board; the content in year 12 was fine as long as you keep on top of the revision; I came out with an A and didn't even break a sweat during the exams. :smile: Year 13 is where psychology get's really hard; we had to learn around 50 smaller studies along with loads of other debates and the approaches. On top of that we had to make sure we knew all the studies from year 12 to use in our year 13 exam. Annoyingly I got a B in one exam and a D in the other in year 13 which made me come out with a B overall. I hope I'm not scaring you off the subject haha, it's really great to study so I would say go for it! You learn a lot of interesting stuff!
Reply 46
Original post by AaronHarding95
Psychology is a subject you can't take on a whim because its there. So many people in my class failed because they didn't enjoy the subject. I studied psychology on the OCR exam board; the content in year 12 was fine as long as you keep on top of the revision; I came out with an A and didn't even break a sweat during the exams. :smile: Year 13 is where psychology get's really hard; we had to learn around 50 smaller studies along with loads of other debates and the approaches. On top of that we had to make sure we knew all the studies from year 12 to use in our year 13 exam. Annoyingly I got a B in one exam and a D in the other in year 13 which made me come out with a B overall. I hope I'm not scaring you off the subject haha, it's really great to study so I would say go for it! You learn a lot of interesting stuff!

There is so much you have to memorise! But its something I'm really interested in so I think it will be worth it for me because I will enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by lauraaaaa
Did AQA A and got an A*, with full ums in 2 units...perfectly do-able to get a good grade, but i had to memorise about 30-40 essays for A2 so it can be time consuming. I'll be studying it at uni though now, and i love it :tongue:

Wow! Must've taken some work, yeah I think the hard work will be worth it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321
Wow! Must've taken some work, yeah I think the hard work will be worth it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

it did but i really enjoyed it so it didn't feel like work. If you need any help/have questions then just pm me :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by lauraaaaa
it did but i really enjoyed it so it didn't feel like work. If you need any help/have questions then just pm me :smile:

That's the best way for it to be! I will do, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321
Yes, I've heard its a lot of work but from what I've read it seems so interesting. Thank you, when the time comes I will try that out for memorising information.

The website sounds great I will look that up when I need to.

I am also looking at doing-
Maths
English lit
And Philosophy

I was considering doing Biology but I don't feel I enjoy it enough at GCSE level to pursue it any further.

Good luck with A2!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What year are you going into in September? I am going into year 11 and I am thinking of choosing: English Lit, Philosophy, Psychology and History.
Original post by Meg321
That's the best way for it to be! I will do, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

indeed! I'm studying it at uni so it must have done something for me :tongue: if you get the right technique then you'll be fine!
Reply 52
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
What year are you going into in September? I am going into year 11 and I am thinking of choosing: English Lit, Philosophy, Psychology and History.

I am going into year eleven too, we're in pretty much the same boat I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321
Thank you, I think I'm definitely going to be taking it for A-Level, I'm curious as to how you went about memorising the large amounts of text?

Also I am looking at my options for University as I am eager to go but I'm not certain of which career path I want to pursue yet, I'm hoping I will figure it out by the time I come to apply. Anyway how do you find Psychology at University for future reference? Is it easier or harder than you expected it and how did it compare to A-Level?

Good luck with the rest of your time at uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of memorising text I went through my original essays deciding on what I would be able to learn as easily as possible to shorten them as they can be really long! Then I wrote bullet points of each paragraph with the important information, and highlighted them with different colours so that they stood out more!

I've really enjoyed my university course however I would say that you have to be passionate about your subject to study it at university. There's a lot more essays in Uni and more independent work which you'd have to get used to. Also, you develop more writing skills such as how to reference which can be difficult.

Daniel
Original post by I Procrastinate
I'm looking at doing psychology at uni. How much maths is involved?:K:
What type of psychology course did you do? anything else with it?

Hi.

I'm currently doing a BSc which is apparently more science and maths based than that of a BA in psychology if I'm correct.

There seems to be more coursework than exams with my course (I'd have had 9 exams over the three years) which I rather as I'm not very good at exams. Yes, there's a few maths modules over the three years which you'd have to do. I had a stats module which was by hand in my first year and stats on a computer in my second. I really wouldn't worry about it though. I hate maths and only did up to GCSE (and only had a B) and I didn't have any major problems with it!
Reply 55
Just done Psychology, got a B in it. It is the ****test subject you could ever possibly take. Do not take it, you have been warned.
Reply 56
Original post by DanielMathias94
In terms of memorising text I went through my original essays deciding on what I would be able to learn as easily as possible to shorten them as they can be really long! Then I wrote bullet points of each paragraph with the important information, and highlighted them with different colours so that they stood out more!

I've really enjoyed my university course however I would say that you have to be passionate about your subject to study it at university. There's a lot more essays in Uni and more independent work which you'd have to get used to. Also, you develop more writing skills such as how to reference which can be difficult.

Daniel

Thank you, I will definitely try that out when the time comes.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I understand that it has to be something you really want to do, as you are putting all your work time into that one subject, and if you don't enjoy it you won't do well.

Thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by JoshZ
Just done Psychology, got a B in it. It is the ****test subject you could ever possibly take. Do not take it, you have been warned.

Considering your hatred for it well done on getting a B, that must be pretty damn hard when you don't enjoy a subject. Thank you for the warning :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Just to add some variety to the opinions, I'll be studying Maths at university this September and I'd still recommend Psychology. Got an A, but really would've liked an A*, but my time management wasn't great so I didn't do as well in the second paper.

Anyway, with enough preparation it is possible to do very well in this subject. Not only that but for the most part it is interesting, so when it comes down to revising it doesn't seem as laborious as it can do in other subjects. AS is pretty easy, but A2 is where the hard work really starts. On the AQA A specification, in PSYA3 there were ~21 essays (24 marks) that you had to learn content for, to which only 3 came up, so you have to prepare in advance. With that in mind, if you can sufficiently prepare for them and memorise the essays and have them marked so you have a rough idea of what grade you're on and where you can improve, you stand a good chance at getting a great grade.

So I'd recommend choosing it if you've got a decent memory, because the subject was thoroughly enjoyable at times.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Segadfx
Just to add some variety to the opinions, I'll be studying Maths at university this September and I'd still recommend Psychology. Got an A, but really would've liked an A*, but my time management wasn't great so I didn't do as well in the second paper.

Anyway, with enough preparation it is possible to do very well in this subject. Not only that but for the most part it is interesting, so when it comes down to revising it doesn't seem as laborious as it can do in other subjects. AS is pretty easy, but A2 is where the hard work really starts. On the AQA A specification, in PSYA3 there were ~21 essays (24 marks) that you had to learn content for, to which only 3 came up, so you have to prepare in advance. With that in mind, if you can sufficiently prepare for them and memorise the essays and have them marked so you have a rough idea of what grade you're on and where you can improve, you stand a good chance at getting a great grade.

So I'd recommend choosing it if you've got a decent memory, because the subject was thoroughly enjoyable at times.

Okay thank you, I will do so. I find it ridiculous a how many you have to learn, only to do three. It seems so interesting that I'm still up for it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest