The Student Room Group

First time online dating

Ok, so im a guy, just left university, thought i would try out online dating.
Ive been talking to this girl for a while now, just chatting about life, university, things we do/like etc. Like a paragraph at a time.
But anyway, after talking to her for 3 weeks ish, i asked her if she fancied doing something next weekend if shes free.
She said she was busy doing something. Could be genuine, but she didnt suggest another time or date.
I havent done this online dating **** before, i would much rather just talk to someone in person so we can see if we hit it off.
Do you think its too keen after 3 weeks? Should i have got her number first? Maybe called her? i think thats a bit odd though. I dont normally call a date untill were a bit more in.
Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Should have had her number by now....

Suggest another date within the next few days or preferably tell her to set a date. If she gives an excuse not to set a date then she's playing you.
She may not even exist in real life. "Catfishing" can happen even on genuine sites. So I suggest you be extra wary. Don't get consumed by your greed and end up ignoring pitfalls.
Reply 3
Reply 4
wtf is cat fishing? Its on POF.com, you dont need to pay at all.
We're serious here. Catfishing can happen on genuine dating sites and even social media. If they can't take your money they'll take you to a place where you'll be abducted or even killed. So we're warning you.
Reply 6
Catfishing is where someone pretends to be someone they're not in an online capacity: not wanting to put a downer on things but your "girl" could really be a guy!
Reply 7
Wow, this has taken a direction i wasnt expecting! Im going to apparently be killed by the girl who doesnt want to meet me?
Im pretty sure shes not, she works near me and knows the area well.
If she does turn out to be fake, the so be it. But im almost 100% sure thats not the case.
Assuming shes not, and steering back to the issue, should i ask her for her number? In what context? I cant just say 'can i have your number' its a bit upfront, i need a reason to slip it in. Trying to think of how, perhaps i could say i will message her when her fav tv show is next on? reminder... theres an idea.
She may genuinley have other plans so you cannot assume but id definitely say ask again and if she says no again then perhaps its time to try meet someone in the real world:smile: x
Reply 9
Not wanting to rain on your parade but I wouldn't message her when her fav TV show is on, girls tend to get pretty involved and won't give you her full attention if she's watching TV! Go for the "Do you have a phone number I can get hold of you on so we can organize this date proper?" but less formal with your own lingo added (I don't know how friendly your chats normally are) if you want to be more indirect
Original post by chicklet7198
She may genuinley have other plans so you cannot assume but id definitely say ask again and if she says no again then perhaps its time to try meet someone in the real world:smile: x

Yeah, its just harder because im not at university anymore. Im living at home, so chances to meet new girls are limited. Will give it a shot.
Original post by KGoodall
Not wanting to rain on your parade but I wouldn't message her when her fav TV show is on, girls tend to get pretty involved and won't give you her full attention if she's watching TV! Go for the "Do you have a phone number I can get hold of you on so we can organize this date proper?" but less formal with your own lingo added (I don't know how friendly your chats normally are) if you want to be more indirect

I meant reminder her when its on. But yeah, i will chat for a bit more, then maybe interject the whole number thing somehow, i will see how i can git it into the current convo at the time
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, its just harder because im not at university anymore. Im living at home, so chances to meet new girls are limited. Will give it a shot.

Dont try too hard to find someone just enjoy life and chances are someone will pop up when you least expect it:smile: hope you find someone:smile: x
Reply 13
I meant reminder her when its on. But yeah, i will chat for a bit more, then maybe interject the whole number thing somehow, i will see how i can git it into the current convo at the time

Oh yeah that's fair enough! Maybe if you think she'll like it try a cheesy joke like "I lost my phone number... Can I have yours?" It kinda depends on the girl, obviously I don't know her so can't really give tailored advice haha :wink:!
Original post by chicklet7198
Dont try too hard to find someone just enjoy life and chances are someone will pop up when you least expect it:smile: hope you find someone:smile: x

Yeah this is something alot of people say, but i dont really think its true. Theres many opportunities i've had but missed over the years. Theres also opportunities i could have taken, but havent fancied them. This is more so than the other. If i can see someone attractive online, then thats one box ticked, and if i go for it, then I haven't missed the opportunity!
It does feel slightly unnatural though, i feel like you should meet through friends really, this feels very awkward and artificial at the moment 'What do you like?' Whats your favorite TV shows?'! Hahah! Its hard to make text flirty, i just use shed loads of smilies :biggrin:
Yeah this is something alot of people say, but i dont really think its true. Theres many opportunities i've had but missed over the years. Theres also opportunities i could have taken, but havent fancied them. This is more so than the other. If i can see someone attractive online, then thats one box ticked, and if i go for it, then I haven't missed the opportunity!
It does feel slightly unnatural though, i feel like you should meet through friends really, this feels very awkward and artificial at the moment 'What do you like?' Whats your favorite TV shows?'! Hahah! Its hard to make text flirty, i just use shed loads of smilies :biggrin:

Well i do think it is true as my current boyfriend was someone who had actually been speaking to me for a while but at the time he began talking to me i never saw him like that because i was too busy focusing on another guy who in the end messed me about but eventually through some fate or whatever i bumped into this other guy and i have to be honest i just fell for him and 4 and a half months later im happier than ever, so dont give up hope:smile:
Original post by KGoodall
Oh yeah that's fair enough! Maybe if you think she'll like it try a cheesy joke like "I lost my phone number... Can I have yours?" It kinda depends on the girl, obviously I don't know her so can't really give tailored advice haha :wink:!

Lol, i could make up a paragraph story about how i lost my phone, then just to say at the end, can i have yours instead?
Maybe she's just really busy. Ask again in few days. If she's not interested then move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Maybe she's just really busy. Ask again in few days. If she's not interested then move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, will do.
Swansea University eh? i was there during that time. I studied there and worked in the shop :smile:
True, will do.
Swansea University eh? i was there during that time. I studied there and worked in the shop :smile:

It took a while before I agreed on dates when I used dating sites. :tongue:

Went there for two years. Still miss it and gutted I didn't get my degree there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending