The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

English literature (or same department) 2014

Hi, I'm about to embark on an English Literature degree at Newcastle, and would love to find any others in the same position, as well as any others (language/creative writing ect) from that department.

So let us all know what course your taking and what your looking forward too? And if anyone has anyone questions, we can help each other out :smile:
Original post by sofieke15
Hi, I'm about to embark on an English Literature degree at Newcastle, and would love to find any others in the same position, as well as any others (language/creative writing ect) from that department.

So let us all know what course your taking and what your looking forward too? And if anyone has anyone questions, we can help each other out :smile:

I'm studying English Literature and History :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by LauraKate28
I'm studying English Literature and History :smile:

Ooooh great combination, I love history too, did it at A-level :smile: So do you take an equal amount of modules from both courses? Plus, have you found anything about preparation for English Lit?
I think so, I think it's a pretty even split between modules :3 I haven't found out anything out preparing for English Lit which is making me scared in case there's books I need to read :tongue:
Reply 4

Heey! :smile: I'm also doing English literature! Been looking at reading lists, just curious if anyone has been reading much of the material on the lists/ intends to? xx
Original post by river2037
Heey! :smile: I'm also doing English literature! Been looking at reading lists, just curious if anyone has been reading much of the material on the lists/ intends to? xx

I'm a bit lost about the reading list as I'll be doing joint honours, I'm terrified of getting there and finding out that everyone has read way more than me :tongue: xx
Reply 6

Hi!
I'm taking English Literature as well.

I'm getting really excited now. I'm also living at home while studying, so if you guys have any questions about newcastle, feel free to ask.

I've read over all the reading lists, but I haven't started reading them yet, some of the modules are still missing from 2014 entry though, so I'm trying not to look at the older lists.
Reply 7
Original post by LauraKate28
I'm a bit lost about the reading list as I'll be doing joint honours, I'm terrified of getting there and finding out that everyone has read way more than me :tongue: xx

Haha I'm sure that won't be the case at all :smile: I'm just going to read a few books from the essential lists so that I have done something over this summer holiday apart from drink... xx
Original post by river2037
Haha I'm sure that won't be the case at all :smile: I'm just going to read a few books from the essential lists so that I have done something over this summer holiday apart from drink... xx

I've already picked my modules so I guess I'll just read a few from those lists xx
hi :biggrin: im going to be studying english lit with creative writing- can't wait!!! but im getting freaked out because im sure there must be loads of stuff i should have read/be reading. the reading lists people keep mentioning are they the ones on the website? was thinking about messaging newcastle to ask...
I'm doing english literature and language! :smile:
Reply 11
I'm studying English lit too! :biggrin: and I wasn't sure if the reading lists were still the same as before so I haven't read anything yet, starting to get worried though!
Don't know about you guys but I received the reading lists for two of the modules this morning. Most of the books I've never heard of, haha. According to the email, we should read Shakespeare's 'As You Like It' before we start the course. I'm really excited! :smile:
I'm going in for the English Language BA! :smile:
I'm doing Lit and Lang combined, and like so many others here I'm worried about reading lists
Hi everyone! I'm studying English Lit with Creative Writing and am also confused about what I'm supposed to be reading. I found some reading lists on Blackboard (the online thing with timetables and such) but I don't know which of them (if any) we're meant to read before we start. I look forward to meeting you all! :smile:
Original post by DominicCorrigan
Hi everyone! I'm studying English Lit with Creative Writing and am also confused about what I'm supposed to be reading. I found some reading lists on Blackboard (the online thing with timetables and such) but I don't know which of them (if any) we're meant to read before we start. I look forward to meeting you all! :smile:

Hi! im doing eng lit with creative writing too, i received an email from the uni with a reading list, have you received yours yet? not sure how much of it they expect us to read before we get there! :O
Original post by TillyMint
Hi! im doing eng lit with creative writing too, i received an email from the uni with a reading list, have you received yours yet? not sure how much of it they expect us to read before we get there! :O

Aloha! I haven't received an email with a reading list yet, but I'm guessing there's a lot! Did they send it to you through the Newcastle student email accounts?
Original post by DominicCorrigan
Aloha! I haven't received an email with a reading list yet, but I'm guessing there's a lot! Did they send it to you through the Newcastle student email accounts?

nope, my normal email account, would you like me to send you the list? the only one i know we have to read before we get there is "as you like it" by shakespeare, still need to read it myself!
Original post by TillyMint
nope, my normal email account, would you like me to send you the list? the only one i know we have to read before we get there is "as you like it" by shakespeare, still need to read it myself!

That'd be great, thank you! And if you have a Kindle, you can get "As You Like It" for free from the Amazon store :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending