The Student Room Group

How do I buy this laptop?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adam_Cross
That's part of the problem - I don't have a "first laptop". I only have a desktop. I used to have a laptop but it broke.

Is it not possible for you just to use your desktop, then?
:s personally I was brought up to understand that you shouldn't buy anything you can't afford
Ok. Thanks for your help.

I should mention that with Co Op, once you've opened the account, you do need to deposit £300 to activate the overdraft. This can be deposited and then withdrawn 24 hours later if you don't have it to hand you can maybe borrow it but thought I should make you aware of that
Reply 22
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I should mention that with Co Op, once you've opened the account, you do need to deposit £300 to activate the overdraft. This can be deposited and then withdrawn 24 hours later if you don't have it to hand you can maybe borrow it but thought I should make you aware of that

That's useful to know. £300 shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 23
Original post by sliceofcake
Is it not possible for you just to use your desktop, then?
:s personally I was brought up to understand that you shouldn't buy anything you can't afford

See reasons for buying a Mac on the previous page.

I can afford it - I just need the money now and the ability to pay it back when I get the bursaries.

Also, a laptop is pretty important. Keeping code in one place (backed up obviously) is really beneficial.
That's part of the problem - I don't have a "first laptop". I only have a desktop. I used to have a laptop but it broke.

Well in that case you could get a loan from your parents meanwhile. Or you could simply use the library at your university for online tasks and use a notebook meanwhile during lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Hitashami
Well in that case you could get a loan from your parents meanwhile. Or you could simply use the library at your university for online tasks and use a notebook meanwhile during lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents don't have £1,200 to loan me.

Use pen and paper to do coding? Little hard to test stuff.
My parents don't have £1,200 to loan me.

Use pen and paper to do coding? Little hard to test stuff.

So have you already opened a student account? I think HSBC are the ones who do instant overdraft claim. ALL you have to do is walk in with your N??? (Forgot what paper is called but it confirms your place), some id, proof of address and they can discuss what your overdraft amount would be. You've still got a month till uni so plenty of time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
So have you already opened a student account? I think HSBC are the ones who do instant overdraft claim. ALL you have to do is walk in with your N??? (Forgot what paper is called but it confirms your place), some id, proof of address and they can discuss what your overdraft amount would be. You've still got a month till uni so plenty of time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't got a student account yet. I'm visiting the banks tomorrow to discuss my options.
This is how I bought my MacBook Pro in June (Graphic Designer here and currently sat here typing from my dual screen PC):

Based on a 2nd year, going into third year cumulative of university education, student with the ability to get a £1500 overdraft and has a student credit card.

A family member with extremely good credit bought a 0% interest on purchases for 12 months credit card. £1500 limit, then put the rest into my student overdraft (£500)... Now during the year every loan payment I need to pay £500 off from the credit card and £40 each month in between.

Don't try for Apple Barclay's Credit, they won't give it to you because you're a student and technically have no income. Similarly banks won't give you a non-student credit card due to you not technically having any income. I tried both when attempting to buy the laptop earlier in the year.

Also, about the battery life - yeah it's great if you don't turn it on. I get about 4 hours tops if I'm not using it with lots of apps open. :/
Reply 29
Original post by Roving Fish
This is how I bought my MacBook Pro in June (Graphic Designer here and currently sat here typing from my dual screen PC):

Based on a 2nd year, going into third year cumulative of university education, student with the ability to get a £1500 overdraft and has a student credit card.

A family member with extremely good credit bought a 0% interest on purchases for 12 months credit card. £1500 limit, then put the rest into my student overdraft (£500)... Now during the year every loan payment I need to pay £500 off from the credit card and £40 each month in between.

Don't try for Apple Barclay's Credit, they won't give it to you because you're a student and technically have no income. Similarly banks won't give you a non-student credit card due to you not technically having any income. I tried both when attempting to buy the laptop earlier in the year.

Also, about the battery life - yeah it's great if you don't turn it on. I get about 4 hours tops if I'm not using it with lots of apps open. :/

Ok. Thanks for the suggestion.

Graphic design is a little more taxing on the processor than coding so battery life for me should be nearer the quoted amount.
Ok. Thanks for the suggestion.

Graphic design is a little more taxing on the processor than coding so battery life for me should be nearer the quoted amount.

That's just for Google Chrome & Skype a lot of the time, they're great though. xD
Reply 31
That's just for Google Chrome & Skype a lot of the time, they're great though. xD

Chrome is surprisingly terrible for battery life.

Here is an article if you want to find out more: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10929/20140721/why-chrome-eats-laptop-battery-life-gets-update.htm

Use Safari / Firefox and it will increase your battery life significantly.

Chrome is still my browser of choice on my PC at the moment though.
Reply 32
Chrome is surprisingly terrible for battery life.

Here is an article if you want to find out more: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/10929/20140721/why-chrome-eats-laptop-battery-life-gets-update.htm

Use Safari / Firefox and it will increase your battery life significantly.

Chrome is still my browser of choice on my PC at the moment though.

Scrap that - Mac isn't effected.
Reply 33
last week I financed mine and got the student discount as well, so I'm paying a reasonable amount per month :smile: I'd recommend the finance option.
Original post by LSD
last week I financed mine and got the student discount as well, so I'm paying a reasonable amount per month :smile: I'd recommend the finance option.

Of course. Of course. Why didn't someone think of this before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course. Of course. Why didn't someone think of this before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it's very unlikely that students would be able to get finance. Once you're a student your credit rating becomes capped and your SFE income is not taken into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because it's very unlikely that students would be able to get finance. Once you're a student your credit rating becomes capped and your SFE income is not taken into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but he could get his parents to do it on his behalf and simply give them the money once he's getting it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can we please keep this on-topic

This thread is about the best way to purchase the mac, not about Mac vs Windows.
Or get as much money as you need now and ask your parents to pay the rest if they can and then minus what you have given them so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending