The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

History at Penryn NEED ANSWERS BY MONDAY!

I logged into UCAS track on Thursday morning to see that my offer to study History at the University of Exeter had been accepted, but at the Penryn campus rather than Streatham. I have to reply to my offers by August 18th or I lose that and my insurance choice, Plymouth. As a resident in Devon I'd wanted to stay close to home so obviously this really threw me, I visited Penryn on Thursday and whilst I did like it and the idea of a small, laidback uni, I'm wondering if it will be TOO quiet? Also, I understand that its a Russell Group uni so it's going to be challenging, but is the work manageable? I had serious issues coping with stress at exam time and the idea of being stuck in Cornwall under a lot of pressure with no support from friends or family in the area (I don't know anyone going to Cornwall, most of my year group are going to Plymouth) is really worrying me, but I don't want to turn down the opportunity to go to such a good uni in a really beautiful place. Also, would I still get accommodation in Penryn? I applied for it in Exeter obviously but haven't in Cornwall or Plymouth. I haven't been able to celebrate getting ABB in my A Levels (plus an A in my EPQ) because I've been so worried so any help would be greatly appreciated!
My parents have a house in Falmouth, it's a really nice little town. There are some late bars and but don't expect amazing nightlife, though during tourist season you get more people around and it's much busier. Exeter isn't amazing for nightlife either, though.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by DaniT12345
I logged into UCAS track on Thursday morning to see that my offer to study History at the University of Exeter had been accepted, but at the Penryn campus rather than Streatham. I have to reply to my offers by August 18th or I lose that and my insurance choice, Plymouth. As a resident in Devon I'd wanted to stay close to home so obviously this really threw me, I visited Penryn on Thursday and whilst I did like it and the idea of a small, laidback uni, I'm wondering if it will be TOO quiet? Also, I understand that its a Russell Group uni so it's going to be challenging, but is the work manageable? I had serious issues coping with stress at exam time and the idea of being stuck in Cornwall under a lot of pressure with no support from friends or family in the area (I don't know anyone going to Cornwall, most of my year group are going to Plymouth) is really worrying me, but I don't want to turn down the opportunity to go to such a good uni in a really beautiful place. Also, would I still get accommodation in Penryn? I applied for it in Exeter obviously but haven't in Cornwall or Plymouth. I haven't been able to celebrate getting ABB in my A Levels (plus an A in my EPQ) because I've been so worried so any help would be greatly appreciated!

hi! I was in much of the same position, just with a different course. I had streatham campus Exeter down as my insurance choice and when I logged into track my firm choice had turned me down. Then Exeter offered me my course (English) at Penryn instead. Unable to celebrate my A*BB with A* in EPQ because I was so worried, much the same as yourself, I quickly did some research on Penryn and also the clearing process if I decided to turn down the offer to study in Cornwall. What I have discovered is that the campus actually seems more appealing to me than the one in Exeter; it is smaller, less intense and whilst the work will be hard, I imagine, there will be more one to one time with the tutors, so extra support :smile: I had a phone call with a couple of first year students and an academic and they were really friendly and seemed enthusiastic about the course. I managed to attain clearing offers from other places but decided that Penryn campus was the place for me. I get to do the course I initially wanted, just a little further away. I'm not much of a party person, so a smaller nightlife is not a setback for me. Accommodation is also guaranteed at Penryn for every student in their first year, regardless of whether you initially applied. I hope this has helped you, sorry about the super long response and good luck wherever you may end up, be it Cornwall or Plymouth (which I've heard is also a fab place to study) :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Rosawriter
hi! I was in much of the same position, just with a different course. I had streatham campus Exeter down as my insurance choice and when I logged into track my firm choice had turned me down. Then Exeter offered me my course (English) at Penryn instead. Unable to celebrate my A*BB with A* in EPQ because I was so worried, much the same as yourself, I quickly did some research on Penryn and also the clearing process if I decided to turn down the offer to study in Cornwall. What I have discovered is that the campus actually seems more appealing to me than the one in Exeter; it is smaller, less intense and whilst the work will be hard, I imagine, there will be more one to one time with the tutors, so extra support :smile: I had a phone call with a couple of first year students and an academic and they were really friendly and seemed enthusiastic about the course. I managed to attain clearing offers from other places but decided that Penryn campus was the place for me. I get to do the course I initially wanted, just a little further away. I'm not much of a party person, so a smaller nightlife is not a setback for me. Accommodation is also guaranteed at Penryn for every student in their first year, regardless of whether you initially applied. I hope this has helped you, sorry about the super long response and good luck wherever you may end up, be it Cornwall or Plymouth (which I've heard is also a fab place to study) :biggrin:

Thankyou for replying, yes Penryn does seem nice but I came to the conclusion (after much deliberation) that I prefer the course at Plymouth and I would rather stay closer to home and do something I know I'll enjoy at a place I've been researching for months than risk going further away to a place I don't know as much about and not enjoy it, after all I'm going to be there for three years so I may as well do a course that I know I'll like instead of being miserable just because Exeter/Cornwall has a better reputation. Maybe I'll regret it in the future and wonder what would've happened had I not declined the offer but the people at Plymouth also seem really lovely, and a degree is a degree at the end of the day! Good luck with uni :redface:
Has anyone found out about accommodation yet???? I've had my offer!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest