The Student Room Group

Scottish Students Applying to Cambridge for 2015 Entry

The normal Cambridge forums are full of crazy questions about UMS (whatever those are!) and a/s levels...so here is a forum for Scottish students to discuss Highers/ Advanced Highers; the difficulties of attending open days and visiting colleges and other such info! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For an example on what to maybe post (this is my application info):
Course: History
College: St Catherine's (probably)
Int 2s: 7As (all A1s) and a 1 at Standard Grade

Highers:
History A1
English A1
Bio A1
Latin A1
French A1

Advanced Highers:
History
English
Latin

Extras : reading, medieval monasticism course, volunteering with a history group, extra curricular based on analytical/research skills- EYP, school newspaper
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mjr23
The normal Cambridge forums are full of crazy questions about UMS (whatever those are!) and a/s levels...so here is a forum for Scottish students to discuss Highers/ Advanced Highers; the difficulties of attending open days and visiting colleges and other such info! :smile:

Love you for making this haha
Course: Economics
College: Emmanuel

4th year:
Int 2/ standard grades: 11111, A(1) A(2)
Higher music: A(2)

5th year:
Highers: bio A1 chem A1 maths and english A2
Advanced higher music: A2

Next year:
Advanced maths, applied maths with statistics, history (crashing this) and chemistry/bio/English hm.. And also higher philosophy for giggles

Done extra reading and attended an emmanuel open day with school but no work experience, although I did try. My school only offers economics as a higher in 6th year and it clashes with my timetable aaaaahhhh
Reply 4
Original post by Barrie Watson

4th year:

5th year:

Next year:
Advanced maths, applied maths with statistics, history (crashing this) and chemistry/bio/English hm.. And also higher philosophy for giggles

Done extra reading and attended an emmanuel open day with school but no work experience, although I did try. My school only offers economics as a higher in 6th year and it clashes with my timetable aaaaahhhh

Yeah my school only offer economics as a higher in 6th year too! It's so silly especially, if like you, people want to stuy economics at uni so would benefit from studying it at advanced higher
Reply 5
Original post by Barrie Watson

4th year:

5th year:

Next year:

Are you planning on doing four advanced highers and five subjects in total next year?! If so, wow!
Course: BioNatSci

College: absolutely no clue, couldn't make the open day, any suggestions would be appreciated :smile: I'd like to stay in the college the whole time and be in walking distance of my lectures.

Standard grades: seven 1's and a 2.

Highers :

Maths - A band 1
English - A band 1
Human biology - A band 1
Chemistry - A band 1
Physics - A band 1

This year I'm doing:

Advanced higher Maths
Advanced higher biology
Advanced higher chemistry
Higher Politics (for the bantz)

Extras - done a Nuffield research project for a month doing my own research, also read some biochemistry related books and stuff along those lines

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Course: BioNatSci

College: absolutely no clue, couldn't make the open day, any suggestions would be appreciated :smile: I'd like to stay in the college the whole time and be in walking distance of my lectures.

Standard grades: seven 1's and a 2.

Highers :

Maths - A band 1
English - A band 1
Human biology - A band 1
Chemistry - A band 1
Physics - A band 1

This year I'm doing:

Advanced higher Maths
Advanced higher biology
Advanced higher chemistry
Higher Politics (for the bantz)

Extras - done a Nuffield research project for a month doing my own research, also read some biochemistry related books and stuff along those lines

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read that if you have at least 4A1s and don't get accepted by the college you applied to, you will get autopooled (for English students to be autopooled they have to have a 93% UMS average) :smile:
Original post by mjr23
I read that if you have at least 4A1s and don't get accepted by the college you applied to, you will get autopooled (for English students to be autopooled they have to have a 93% UMS average) :smile:

I read that too! I was like woooo :smile::smile::smile: was your "example" actually your application or...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I read that too! I was like woooo :smile::smile::smile: was your "example" actually your application or...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is my actual application, so yeah I too will be eligible for autopooling :smile:
Original post by mjr23
Yeah it is my actual application, so yeah I too will be eligible for autopooling :smile:

Just noticed the brackets haha sorry

Why did you pick St Catherine's?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mjr23
Oh don't worry, I added the brackets after you mentioned it! :smile: Tbh I went to the St Catherine's Open day because it was the only one I could make it to! I originally had a soft spot for Madgalene but as I walked around st Catherine's I slowly began to love it and realised it filled most of my criteria (really quite central, good- but not crazily academically focused like Trinity or something -academic performance, not over subscribed, nice size, old college and nice old building and an amazing history department), the only thing it didn't have was a cool, Hogwarts-esque dining hall :smile:

Sounds nice in that case, think I might try to visit soon but I'm not sure if I'll be able to

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408352418.766572.jpg

"In the case of post qualification... Three A1's at advanced higher..."

Does this mean if you've taken a gap year or what? I'm not too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1408352418.766572.jpg

"In the case of post qualification... Three A1's at advanced higher..."

Does this mean if you've taken a gap year or what? I'm not too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it just means if you've applied after you have completed and received your results for Advanced Highers for whatever reason, be that due to one going on a gap year
Original post by mjr23
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it just means if you've applied after you have completed and received your results for Advanced Highers for whatever reason, be that due to one going on a gap year

Okay that's fine, thought for a second if I was picked from the pool my offer would be A1A1A1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Okay that's fine, thought for a second if I was picked from the pool my offer would be A1A1A1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh God, three A1s as an offer...that would be*a lot of pressure!
Reply 16
Nice, a Scottish Cambridge thread, much needed. I'm applying for physical natsci this year at St. Catherine's college, pretty much for the exact same reasons as the OP. My S.G's were horrific, Highers are okay and AHs are good, so should hopefully get an interview (fingers crossed). Anyone here a student who is the first to apply to Oxbridge from there school? Furthermore I'm a sorta gap year applicant as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Pliskin
Nice, a Scottish Cambridge thread, much needed. I'm applying for physical natsci this year at St. Catherine's college, pretty much for the exact same reasons as the OP. My S.G's were horrific, Highers are okay and AHs are good, so should hopefully get an interview (fingers crossed). Anyone here a student who is the first to apply to Oxbridge from there school? Furthermore I'm a sorta gap year applicant as well.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind if I ask how you did in your Highers/Advanced Highers? Also, St Catherine's woop! And quite a few people each year from my school apply to Oxbridge, I'd say at least a dozen or so to each uni but far fewer get accepted, maybe three or four each (also my school is kinda split in two so that's statistics for both schools, which is about 250 people)
Original post by Pliskin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm the second from my school to ever apply as far as I'm aware

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by mjr23
Do you mind if I ask how you did in your Highers/Advanced Highers? Also, St Catherine's woop! And quite a few people each year from my school apply to Oxbridge, I'd say at least a dozen or so to each uni but far fewer get accepted, maybe three or four each (also my school is kinda split in two so that's statistics for both schools, which is about 250 people)

Posted from TSR Mobile
- just going to copy and paste from another post of mine for my AH results ~

My Advanced higher results: AH Mathematics: A1 (90%) ~ A bit disappointed but it was the hardest AH maths paper since 2000 easily (64% A mark I think), AH Physics: A1 (96% with 25/25 in investigation), AH Chemistry: A1 (94% with 22/25 in investigation). Cambridge don't find out Scottish raw marks like UMS a-levels, only bands as Scottish exams are not standardised so it would be unfair to do so. I would of liked to have done AH Maths - Statistics or Mechanics but my school is very crap and choices were limited.

As I've said before, my standard grades results were some of the worst in the school. I actually went out my way to not learn in 3rd/4th year, I was such a little pain in the ass and I regret it. My Highers were 5As in higher maths, English, physics, chemistry and history. I changed completely, done a proper 360 degree turnaround as I didn't want to go to college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending