The Student Room Group

Need to choose my a levels before gcse results day!

Hi everyone, I am new to TSR so I don't know if I have posted this in the correct place.

I need to finalise my a level options on the 21st of August :eek:

In the future, I wish to study a maths or science related degree because i enjoy all 3 sciences and maths. Which a level subject combination is the best and would allow me to study the most useful maths or science degrees?

Option 1: maths, further maths, physics, french
Option 2: maths, chemistry, physics, french
Option 3: maths, further maths, physics, chemistry

Which degrees could I study with these different combinations?

Scroll to see replies

It's a dangerous idea to choose A Levels for the sake of keeping your options as wide as possible. It's a much better idea to start doing serious research and tailor your A Level options to the subject or subject area you actually want to do, rather than keeping your choice as open ended as possible to let you delay that decision. I'm not saying you need to decide exactly which courses you are going to study, but someone intending on studying pure Maths shouldn't really be studying the same A Levels as someone planning to go into Biology.

Option 1 would keep Maths open, as well as most Physical sciences, Computer science and Engineering. Doing French won't help you get onto these courses, but if you really enjoy French then there's no harm in doing it. However, you will not be able to do any Biological or Chemical sciences, and certain multidisciplinary fields like Geology or Environmental Science would be more difficult.

Option 2 leaves all Physical and Chemical sciences open. Engineering would be more difficult since a lot of better universities want Further Maths, and this combination is not really suitable for pure Maths since you really ought to have Further Maths for that. Again, French won't help you get onto these courses but if you really enjoy it, that's fine.

Option 3 is the classic "Physical Scientist" combination. It leaves virtually all Physical Science and Maths degrees open, and will probably give you the best foundation for a degree in this area. If you enjoy all of the subjects, this is probably the most sensible one to take.
Reply 2
I really need some sort of advice on what to take as my a levels. Please do me a little favor and advise on which option to take.

I am really keen on becoming a doctor.I am good at the sciences and hoping to get straight A*s in them when results day arrives, and I have already gained an A* in maths due to an early entry. Soo

Option 1: biology, chem, maths, physics

Option 2: bio, chemistry, maths, geography

But I wanna keep my options open and by doing geography I could open up more paths and make my life easier by not doing physics. However by doing physics I could if everything works out have an option to either become a doctor or engineer. Which are very good jobs.

Please give me advice, I am stuck. :smile:))
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
It's a dangerous idea to choose A Levels for the sake of keeping your options as wide as possible. It's a much better idea to start doing serious research and tailor your A Level options to the subject or subject area you actually want to do, rather than keeping your choice as open ended as possible to let you delay that decision. I'm not saying you need to decide exactly which courses you are going to study, but someone intending on studying pure Maths shouldn't really be studying the same A Levels as someone planning to go into Biology.

Option 1 would keep Maths open, as well as most Physical sciences, Computer science and Engineering. Doing French won't help you get onto these courses, but if you really enjoy French then there's no harm in doing it. However, you will not be able to do any Biological or Chemical sciences, and certain multidisciplinary fields like Geology or Environmental Science would be more difficult.

Option 2 leaves all Physical and Chemical sciences open. Engineering would be more difficult since a lot of better universities want Further Maths, and this combination is not really suitable for pure Maths since you really ought to have Further Maths for that. Again, French won't help you get onto these courses but if you really enjoy it, that's fine.

Option 3 is the classic "Physical Scientist" combination. It leaves virtually all Physical Science and Maths degrees open, and will probably give you the best foundation for a degree in this area. If you enjoy all of the subjects, this is probably the most sensible one to take.

Thank you so so much!:smile::biggrin:
Reply 4
I really need some sort of advice on what to take as my a levels. Please do me a little favor and advise on which option to take.

I am really keen on becoming a doctor.I am good at the sciences and hoping to get straight A*s in them when results day arrives, and I have already gained an A* in maths due to an early entry. Soo

But I wanna keep my options open and by doing geography I could open up more paths and make my life easier by not doing physics. However by doing physics I could if everything works out have an option to either become a doctor or engineer. Which are very good jobs.

Please give me advice, I am stuck. ))
Original post by Hobbit8
Hi everyone, I am new to TSR so I don't know if I have posted this in the correct place.

I need to finalise my a level options on the 21st of August :eek:

In the future, I wish to study a maths or science related degree because i enjoy all 3 sciences and maths. Which a level subject combination is the best and would allow me to study the most useful maths or science degrees?

Option 1: maths, further maths, physics, french
Option 2: maths, chemistry, physics, french
Option 3: maths, further maths, physics, chemistry

Which degrees could I study with these different combinations?

For a maths/science degree, I think Option 3 would be the best.
Reply 6
Original post by I.Am.Ali

Please give me advice, I am stuck. ))

As long as you're doing maths, physics is not too important. Also, I have heard that it is good to take a fourth subject which demonstrates your strong writing skills :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Chief Wiggum
For a maths/science degree, I think Option 3 would be the best.

Thanks! Which degrees could I do with these subjects?
Option 3 seems like a safe play if you're 100% you want to do a science/math in university. I imagine it wouldn't exempt you from doing something related to chemistry since all of your other options have French.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hobbit8
Thanks! Which degrees could I do with these subjects?

Chemistry, Physics, Engineering (pretty much any variety except Biological), Maths, probably Natural Sciences as well although some universities like you to have Biology for that.
Original post by I.Am.Ali

Please give me advice, I am stuck. :smile:))

Hi there I would personally suggest doing geography if you are dead set on becoming a doctor, almost if not all universities ask for chemistry and another science which you have covered with Biology. I havent actually cam across a university that asks for all three. if you have chemistry and another science its all about getting your 3As at A Level and to do this you want to pick the subject you can get an easier A in because chem A level is very hard and will be very time consumimg for you. Im not sure which you find easier but generally Geography is seen as the more manageable subject
Hope I have helped
Reply 11
Original post by lilacunicorn
Option 3 seems like a safe play if you're 100% you want to do a science/math in university. I imagine it wouldn't exempt you from doing something related to chemistry since all of your other options have French.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 12
Original post by LeFailFish
Chemistry, Physics, Engineering (pretty much any variety except Biological), Maths, probably Natural Sciences as well although some universities like you to have Biology for that.

Thanks for the advice! :biggrin:
Reply 13

Does this mean that I would be unable to do a degree in biomedical engineering?
Original post by Hobbit8
Does this mean that I would be unable to do a degree in biomedical engineering?

Taken from Imperial's website:

The normal A-level requirements are A*AA to include:

A* in Mathematics

A in Physics

A in a third A-level subject (preferably Further Mathematics, Chemistry or Biology)

AS-level Chemistry and Biology are useful, though not essential, if they have been obtained with at least a grade B at GCSE either individually or as components of Combined Science.
Reply 15
Taken from Imperial's website:

The normal A-level requirements are A*AA to include:

A* in Mathematics

A in Physics

A in a third A-level subject (preferably Further Mathematics, Chemistry or Biology)

AS-level Chemistry and Biology are useful, though not essential, if they have been obtained with at least a grade B at GCSE either individually or as components of Combined Science.

Hopefully I'll obtain higher than a grade b in biology on results day :smile:
Original post by Hobbit8
Hopefully I'll obtain higher than a grade b in biology on results day :smile:

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 17
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much :biggrin:
be careful with option 1, you'll need to sacrifice a bit of your social life to keep on top of all 4 of these demanding subjects!!
Reply 19
Original post by pinejuice
be careful with option 1, you'll need to sacrifice a bit of your social life to keep on top of all 4 of these demanding subjects!!

is french harder than chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest