The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

I think a lot of LFC fans on here are taking the top four for granted. I'm not as confident as some of you - I think it'll be harder and we may be pipped to the post this year.
Original post by Mackay
I think a lot of LFC fans on here are taking the top four for granted. I'm not as confident as some of you - I think it'll be harder and we may be pipped to the post this year.

Not as bad as the Utd fans. I honestly believe that we will beat them there if they don't sign at least two quality players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yesss I diddd
... another Fergie? Long way to go yet.

If Can was ready, he'd have been played. Evidently Brendan thinks he isn't ready yet. I don't think Lucas is necessarily the issue at DM - he's been fine there when we've played him there imo.

Another Fergie in getting the best out of the team. Also comparing the teams, Fergie was in an easier era, United had a lot of money under Fergie, while Rodgers may have money, but relative to the league you have two mega rich owners, a very financially astute Arsenal team and Manchester United. Spurs aren't poor either even if you're better off than them.

I think Brendan decided to go for a safe formation for this first match, only players he played were Lovren + Manquillo and with how the defence performed last season they were no brainers. He'll integrate the players to the team slowly.

Also with no Suarez, he probably felt to use a safer less attacking formation as I said before. Reckon you'll use Moreno and Johnson the next game. Then Manquillo will start the cup games and games preceding CL/easy CL ties. He'll have to play his way into the no.1 spot. Zerf is probably right on that score. But he will beat Johnson to the RB spot eventually. Johnson is not getting his contract renewed imo
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay

I agree, we certainly shouldn't be too complacent about it.
However in my mind, all I think is that we need to finish above either arsenal or united (the latter more likely).

I don't see Everton or spurs maintaining a top 4 challenge for the entire season (both struggled on Saturday against teams they should be beating, albeit they were away), so as long as united don't sign too many quality players before the window ends, I won't be too worried.
Reply 284
Original post by samir12
Gerrard and Lucas in midfield does not give me confidence. Despite me saying Allen offers nothing going forwards, when he came on, he did well and we looked more threatening.

Easy to say when Allen comes on for barely 30 minutes completely fresh. Lucas is better then Allen at everything apart from pace/fitness related aspects.

I haven't seen enough of Can to judge properly what he's like I just know he has that pace/strength/fitness, and hopefully, he has that positional sense because our midfield was way too easy to play through yesterday, so many gaps. The Gerrard and Lucas of 2/3 years ago would have been the perfect midfield pair. Lucas consistently averaged more tackles then most (averaged more then anyone else in the League twice iirc), they both still had some pace and athleticism about them. The quicker Can gets bedded in the better.

I think Lucas will start against City as he tends to well up against Toure
Original post by Deshi

I think Lucas will start against City as he tends to well up against Toure

Na. I think you'll use Gerrard, Henderson and Allen in midfield. Coutinho, Sterling flanking Sturridge. City tends to struggle against teams with a very high work rate and pace.

Team like Chelsea, Liverpool last season, Barcelona, Bayern. Bar the obvious quality in the first 11s the main thing all 4 of those teams have that is above City is their work rate and pace. City's team will destroy anybody without the respective work rate in the midfield(e.g. Arsenal and United) but Chelsea and Pool are very good at closing down space, either by sitting deep and congesting the space after the half way line or choking them so the likes of Toure has less space to play. Lallana and Can going to pool also makes sense for that reason. He's trying to get a team with a very high work rate.

Also there's a lot of space between their midfield and CBs for Sterling and Coutinho to run into and utilise to set up sturridge.

I genuinely think you'll beat City next week. They were nothing special the previous game and if Newcastle had a bit more composure and a better final ball City could have 1 point and not 3 points.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 286
Original post by jam278
Na. I think you'll use Gerrard, Henderson and Allen in midfield. Coutinho, Sterling flanking Sturridge. City tends to struggle against teams with a very high work rate and pace.

Team like Chelsea, Liverpool last season, Barcelona, Bayern. Bar the obvious quality in the first 11s the main thing all 4 of those teams have that is above City is their work rate and pace. City's team will destroy anybody without the respective work rate in the midfield(e.g. Arsenal and United) but Chelsea and Pool are very good at closing down space, either by sitting deep and congesting the space after the half way line or choking them so the likes of Toure has less space to play. Lallana and Can going to pool also makes sense for that reason. He's trying to get a team with a very high work rate.

Also there's a lot of space between their midfield and CBs for Sterling and Coutinho to run into and utilise to set up sturridge.

I genuinely think you'll beat City next week. They were nothing special the previous game and if Newcastle had a bit more composure and a better final ball City could have 1 point and not 3 points.

Lucas doesn't press? He won the ball in the opposition half 2/3 times yesterday. Either Lucas will start and go of for Allen at 60 like he did yesterday or Allen will start and he'll go off for Lucas around the same mark. Personally I think Allen is better coming off the bench so I would prefer Lucas to start.

When we beat them towards the end of last year Coutinho was the third man in the midfield with Gerrard and Henderson iirc
Original post by Deshi
Lucas doesn't press? He won the ball in the opposition half 2/3 times yesterday. Either Lucas will start and go of for Allen at 60 like he did yesterday or Allen will start and he'll go off for Lucas around the same mark. Personally I think Allen is better coming off the bench so I would prefer Lucas to start.

When we beat them towards the end of last year Coutinho was the third man in the midfield with Gerrard and Henderson iirc

I'm not saying he doesn't, just saying that to press consistently you require a lot of energy and mobility, which Allen has more of than Lucas. It's why Xavi is no longer as good as he used to be and why Alonso struggles in double pivot formations nowadays. It depends on how you're facing City. If you want to contain a bit more you'd use Lucas for Allen then after 60mins get Allen on to try and choke City. In reality it should be Gerrard or Lucas, not Lucas or Allen.

Yeah Coutinho was third man in the 4 man midfield. Tbh that game was won down to Sterling vs Garcia. Lallana makes sense as he can win the ball high up the pitch.
Pressing means the whole team working to get th ball.
Original post by jam278
I think that the second half of last season is clouding your judgement of the previous season. I think you did well enough against United. You defended yes but it's the league champions and they clearly were struggling to get through the wall, you did the right thing that match. Same way that Chelsea should have pressed then park the bus. It wasn't a 90min defensive job either. You were better in the first half. Stoke you played well for one half and faded like I said. Villa same.

I think you're better defensively in the 4-2-3-1 than the 4-3-3. Because Gerrard and Lucas offer protection instead of just Gerrard in that formation, but obviously Gerrard's attacking qualities are great, it's whether the rest of the team post Suarez are good enough to fully utilise Gerrards attacking qualities. He's not good enough in a midfield two but it's better defensively than him playing as the only DM and the two CMs pushing forward into space. If England played 4-3-3 in the WC, I think we'd have found the answer to whether he could play that style, and create chances while not being exposed enough defensively without Suarez if that makes sense?

They created **** all but it was a ground out 1-0. We didn't play brilliantly in general, we were just euphoric that a) we'd beaten United, the league champions, and b) we'd 'grown up' and defended well. You can't argue with the other games.

Well, you're wrong. http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/03/liverpool-effective-lucas-gerrard-team/ Lucas and Gerrard playing together is a disaster, offensively AND defensively.
Original post by jam278
Another Fergie in getting the best out of the team. Also comparing the teams, Fergie was in an easier era, United had a lot of money under Fergie, while Rodgers may have money, but relative to the league you have two mega rich owners, a very financially astute Arsenal team and Manchester United. Spurs aren't poor either even if you're better off than them.

I think Brendan decided to go for a safe formation for this first match, only players he played were Lovren + Manquillo and with how the defence performed last season they were no brainers. He'll integrate the players to the team slowly.

Also with no Suarez, he probably felt to use a safer less attacking formation as I said before. Reckon you'll use Moreno and Johnson the next game. Then Manquillo will start the cup games and games preceding CL/easy CL ties. He'll have to play his way into the no.1 spot. Zerf is probably right on that score. But he will beat Johnson to the RB spot eventually. Johnson is not getting his contract renewed imo

Quotes like Rodgers is the new Fergie don't help anyone.

Brendan has absolutely no issue with throwing in players from day 1. Manquillo is barely out of his teens and played against these lot after 7 or less training sessions with the team. Not sure if Flanno was injured but he could easily have played ahead of Manquillo. If Can was ready, he'd have played.

Apart from 15-20 minutes of pre-season, we hadn't used the 4-2-3-1 at all, and this was a different 4-2-3-1 as well, so Brendan pretty much bottled it. He ****ed up and he should realise that for the next game. We're ****ing ****e in a 4-2-3-1, the statistics show it and so do our performances. I don't think Johnson will be kept on. The crowd moan too loudly when he ****s up for Brendan not to hear. Dunno if Moreno will start the next game but my gut feeling is that Rodgers will be brave and play Manquillo or Flanagan the other side.
man I ****ing hate Glen Johnson

and what a ****ing save from Mignolet
And also, about Lucas in the team, it is directly Lucas' fault that we conceded yesterday. Skrtel's positioning wasn't brilliant but Lucas left the run untracked. Johnson should have been more alert too. Cba to watch it again but I have a feeling that Johnson was just spare, doing nothing.
Reply 293
That entire play was atrocious from a defensive aspect.
Reply 294
Original post by Yesss I diddd
And also, about Lucas in the team, it is directly Lucas' fault that we conceded yesterday. Skrtel's positioning wasn't brilliant but Lucas left the run untracked. Johnson should have been more alert too. Cba to watch it again but I have a feeling that Johnson was just spare, doing nothing.

I initially presumed it was Johnson's fault for the goal as it was their full back who got in, but having looked at it again, it was definitely Lucas's fault as you say. Gerrard maybe could have tracked the run too. Both just stood there watching as he ran between them. Also Skrtel was a bit guilty of ball watching; when Lovren moved across to close down Tadic, Skrtel stayed where he was which left a massive gap for Clyne to run into. Surprisingly, Johnson was one of the few who was NOT guilty of doing much wrong. But it's clear that Lovren was the only one out of the lot who communicates. As soon as he was occupied closing someone down, nobody talked.
Reply 295
Tiago Ilori has gone on loan to Bordeaux. They came 7th in Ligue 1 so a pretty decent team I suppose. Would have preferred a PL team but it shows that teams rate him highly.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169152-reds-confirm-ilori-loan-deal
Original post by jam278
Quote me at end of season.

Put it in your sig init.

Done
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 297
Original post by manchesterunited15
Done

I don't have sig's showing automatically so I've only just bothered to look at yours. I love it, I'm just relieved that nothing I've ever said is in there.
Original post by cBay
I don't have sig's showing automatically so I've only just bothered to look at yours. I love it, I'm just relieved that nothing I've ever said is in there.

Be on your toes, no one is safe :tongue:
Don't think anything I've said is too out of order anyway.

Put it in bold once my prediction comes true.

Quick Reply

Latest