The Student Room Group

What courses can I apply for with these Alevels

I did Psychology, Theatre, English,Art, General studies, and got A* A* A A A*, I did a year on a fashion course but want to change and do something different but I don't know what I want to do but I think my subject choices might restrict me a bit. Any one have any suggestions of things I could apply for?

Scroll to see replies

are these a levels?
Original post by ShannonS-J
I did Psychology, Theatre, English,Art, General studies, and got A* A* A A A*, I did a year on a fashion course but want to change and do something different but I don't know what I want to do but I think my subject choices might restrict me a bit. Any one have any suggestions of things I could apply for?

they won't restrict you too much!

You could do loads of different courses, especially in the Arts/Humanities area.
History of Art may interest you. I considered taking it for quite a while, but realised history isn't my cup of tea.
Reply 5
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
they won't restrict you too much!

Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
You could do loads of different courses, especially in the Arts/Humanities area.

Hmm after looking at some of the entry requirements I'm just a bit worried that for some subjects/unis my subjects aren't really considered that academic and after studying fashion I'm wanting to go and do something more academic than arty. I considered psychology but some uni's ask for another science so I'm worried that with these subjects I wouldn't get an offer. "/
Hmm after looking at some of the entry requirements I'm just a bit worried that for some subjects/unis my subjects aren't really considered that academic and after studying fashion I'm wanting to go and do something more academic than arty. I considered psychology but some uni's ask for another science so I'm worried that with these subjects I wouldn't get an offer. "/

because you've done 2 strong subjects(english and and psychology) you'll be fine. have you checked Birmingham university?
You seem to come from a wealthy and sophisticated family.
Go for:
- History
- History of Art
- Law
- Philosophy
- Theology
- Politics
- Agriculture
- English Literature
- Classics
- Music or
- Drama
Reply 8
Original post by thefailure
You seem to come from a wealthy and sophisticated family.
Go for:
- History
- History of Art
- Law
- Philosophy
- Theology
- Politics
- Agriculture
- English Literature
- Classics
- Music or
- Drama

Um that's pretty judgemental and totally wrong.... my family aren't wealthy at all, not that that's got anything to do with what I was asking :s-smilie:
I want to study something that's more academic because it's what I think I'll do better in and I want to come out with a good degree to be able to get a job. But thanks for the suggestions though it kind of highlights my worry that my subjects are more suited to arts based courses though English, law and politics may be an option.
The only really academic A Level you have is English (and I'm assuming its English Literature, because English Language isn't that well respected). I'd advise an English/ English and theatre studies degree based purely on your combination.
Reply 10
Original post by Alludeen1
The only really academic A Level you have is English (and I'm assuming its English Literature, because English Language isn't that well respected). I'd advise an English/ English and theatre studies degree based purely on your combination.

Nope it's English language :L
Yeah that's my issue, when I chose them I was planning on an arts based degree so it wasn't really a problem but after doing it for a year I've changed my mind so kind of regretting my A levels choices but not much I can do about it now so will just have to work with what I've got.
Nope it's English language :L
Yeah that's my issue, when I chose them I was planning on an arts based degree so it wasn't really a problem but after doing it for a year I've changed my mind so kind of regretting my A levels choices but not much I can do about it now so will just have to work with what I've got.

Have you thought about a Psychology degree perhaps? Or speech therapy?
Reply 12
Original post by Alludeen1
Have you thought about a Psychology degree perhaps? Or speech therapy?

Yeah I am looking into a psychology degree as I did really enjoy it at A level and found the exams fine so think I'd probably be good at it. But a bit worried that some better unis ask for another science which I don't have so a bit worried that I'd wouldn't get any offers as I'd like to apply to some of the better unis
Yeah I am looking into a psychology degree as I did really enjoy it at A level and found the exams fine so think I'd probably be good at it. But a bit worried that some better unis ask for another science which I don't have so a bit worried that I'd wouldn't get any offers as I'd like to apply to some of the better unis

A lot of psychology degrees at good unis include quite a bit of statistics as well as being more scientifically based that the A Level. Your best bet would be to narrow down courses at unis you would like to go to and look at their entrance requirements.

Do you have any long term plans
You got A*A*A*AA, were these all a levels and did you complete them over 2 years or more
Reply 16
Original post by TenOfThem
Do you have any long term plans

Not at this moment in time, obviously struggling to make a decision about my future. I'd like to do zoology but don't have the right qualifications and unfortunately I'm not in a great position to be able to do either an access course or on-line a levels as I need to work to support myself so its a difficult decision really. I don't want to go to uni and start to study a subject that turns out, again, that I don;t enjoy it or I'm crap at it. If you see what I'm saying. It's quite a big decision as I only have 3 years funding left from student finance so when I decide on a degree now it needs to be the right one. I find psychology interesting and I'm reasonably good at it but it's weather its something I'd want to do for the foreseeable future, the same goes for English really.
Reply 17
Original post by pryngles
You got A*A*A*AA, were these all a levels and did you complete them over 2 years or more

Yeah they're all A levels and I did them over two years in college
Not at this moment in time, obviously struggling to make a decision about my future. I'd like to do zoology but don't have the right qualifications and unfortunately I'm not in a great position to be able to do either an access course or on-line a levels as I need to work to support myself so its a difficult decision really. I don't want to go to uni and start to study a subject that turns out, again, that I don;t enjoy it or I'm crap at it. If you see what I'm saying. It's quite a big decision as I only have 3 years funding left from student finance so when I decide on a degree now it needs to be the right one. I find psychology interesting and I'm reasonably good at it but it's weather its something I'd want to do for the foreseeable future, the same goes for English really.

Have you looked at Joint Honours courses

Perhaps Leeds - they do a lot of joint honours
Reply 19
Original post by TenOfThem
Have you looked at Joint Honours courses

Perhaps Leeds - they do a lot of joint honours

Yeah I am considering that, are they valued the same though as a single honours? Like in either field would you still be likely to be considered as good for the job as someone who did a single honours in that field? (if that makes sense )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending