The Student Room Group

What courses can I apply for with these Alevels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShannonS-J
Yeah I am considering that, are they valued the same though as a single honours? Like in either field would you still be likely to be considered as good for the job as someone who did a single honours in that field? (if that makes sense )

I suggested them because you are unsure what you want to do so you need to keep options open

Yes they are regarded equally

You have to be careful with Psychology - there are combined courses but you have to ensure the Psych bit is BPA accredited
Not at this moment in time, obviously struggling to make a decision about my future. I'd like to do zoology but don't have the right qualifications and unfortunately I'm not in a great position to be able to do either an access course or on-line a levels as I need to work to support myself so its a difficult decision really. I don't want to go to uni and start to study a subject that turns out, again, that I don;t enjoy it or I'm crap at it. If you see what I'm saying. It's quite a big decision as I only have 3 years funding left from student finance so when I decide on a degree now it needs to be the right one. I find psychology interesting and I'm reasonably good at it but it's weather its something I'd want to do for the foreseeable future, the same goes for English really.

Apply for an Open University degree. http://www.open.ac.uk/libraryservices/beta/feeds/?id=436&letter=k
Reply 22
Original post by FutureHeartSurg

Isn't that just for like actual degrees? I want to go back to uni and I'll be fine for my degree as I get support from student finance but to get the right qualifications while I'm not in uni I will have to work which makes it difficult to find the time and money
Isn't that just for like actual degrees? I want to go back to uni and I'll be fine for my degree as I get support from student finance but to get the right qualifications while I'm not in uni I will have to work which makes it difficult to find the time and money

If you sign up and take the course, yes you will end up with a zoology degree. This is your best option (in my opinion) because as you've said, you'll struggle to get the right qualifications whilst your not in uni. It'll be difficult for you to go through A levels again with a proper job.

With Open university, you can carry on working (and therefore earning) as well as doing the degree. Don't you think that would be better than getting yourself into more debt with student finance?
Reply 24
If you sign up and take the course, yes you will end up with a zoology degree. This is your best option (in my opinion) because as you've said, you'll struggle to get the right qualifications whilst your not in uni. It'll be difficult for you to go through A levels again with a proper job.

With Open university, you can carry on working (and therefore earning) as well as doing the degree. Don't you think that would be better than getting yourself into more debt with student finance?

In all honesty not really I want to go back to uni, I enjoy uni and the learning environment, I just didn't like my course. I'm not at all worried about student finance debt as it's pretty standard now anyway and if I was going to get a degree I'd rather get it from a good uni than do it myself through the open university as I'd be doing the same level of work but having to support myself at the same time :s-smilie: it makes no sense.
Reply 25
Yeah I am looking into a psychology degree as I did really enjoy it at A level and found the exams fine so think I'd probably be good at it. But a bit worried that some better unis ask for another science which I don't have so a bit worried that I'd wouldn't get any offers as I'd like to apply to some of the better unis

Careful, look at the courses. I love Psychology but it gets much, much more science based at degree level. It's basically Biology but mostly on the Brain at most respected Unis. For me that's fine, I took Biology A level but that's why they want another science. At most Unis, Psychology is a Biology based course, it's not much like the A level. Really look into it :smile:
In all honesty not really I want to go back to uni, I enjoy uni and the learning environment, I just didn't like my course. I'm not at all worried about student finance debt as it's pretty standard now anyway and if I was going to get a degree I'd rather get it from a good uni than do it myself through the open university as I'd be doing the same level of work but having to support myself at the same time :s-smilie: it makes no sense.

You want to go to a good uni to study something relatively academic like zoology. With your A level options you'd struggle to get into a decent uni for a course like that. Therefore your options are access/foundation courses, retaking A levels or going to a bad uni.

I remember you saying that you're not in a great position to do access/foundation courses due to only 3 years of student finance being available, so that's out

You said you'd struggle to retake A levels, so that's out

Going to a bad uni will probably badly affect your chances at getting a job once you've qualified so that's also out

From what I can see, your options are:

taking a course with a foundation/access year and then either take out another loan or apply for grants/scholarships or get a part time job at uni to fund yourself for the final year.

Going for an Open University degree.

Reply 27
Original post by JemimaB
Careful, look at the courses. I love Psychology but it gets much, much more science based at degree level. It's basically Biology but mostly on the Brain at most respected Unis. For me that's fine, I took Biology A level but that's why they want another science. At most Unis, Psychology is a Biology based course, it's not much like the A level. Really look into it :smile:

Yeah I've had a look at some of the courses at uni's I'd consider and they look interesting, I don't have an issue with science I just didn't take it at A level as I didn't consider it relevant at the time. But I'll deffo have a look at that as that makes more sense why they ask for another science but do you think I'd still get offers with the subjects/grades I've already got?
Education,
English,
Psychology,

etc.

In all fairness, you're only really going to struggle getting on a STEM course with those grades and as long as you meet the points requirements and other outstanding requirements you'll be fine :smile:
Yeah I've had a look at some of the courses at uni's I'd consider and they look interesting, I don't have an issue with science I just didn't take it at A level as I didn't consider it relevant at the time. But I'll deffo have a look at that as that makes more sense why they ask for another science but do you think I'd still get offers with the subjects/grades I've already got?

Wait a couple of weeks so that clearing etc is all finished then call some admissions people - you will need to have an idea about what you want to study but once you have something in mind they will tell you if your A Levels will be suitable
Reply 30
You want to go to a good uni to study something relatively academic like zoology. With your A level options you'd struggle to get into a decent uni for a course like that. Therefore your options are access/foundation courses, retaking A levels or going to a bad uni.

I remember you saying that you're not in a great position to do access/foundation courses due to only 3 years of student finance being available, so that's out

You said you'd struggle to retake A levels, so that's out

Going to a bad uni will probably badly affect your chances at getting a job once you've qualified so that's also out

From what I can see, your options are:

taking a course with a foundation/access year and then either take out another loan or apply for grants/scholarships or get a part time job at uni to fund yourself for the final year.

Going for an Open University degree.

Yeah I'd struggle but it's not impossible an on-line A level course over a year probably would need about 2 solid days a week which means I could work the other 3 ( I already work weekends) But I think I'd probably need some experience that's relevant so consider volunteer at a zoo near me which would have to be at least once a week. So do you see what I'm saying? It'd be very intense that's why I'm thinking it may not be the best idea to try and study zoology and do something I already have qualifications for e.g most likely psychology.
I just don't see open uni as an option really its not something I want to do. Also a part time job would not fund a year at uni :s-smilie: I'd need over £13,000 in a final year where I'd be wanting to try and get a first,too much :s-smilie: also as far as I'm aware you don't get any funding for an access course
Reply 31
I did Psychology, Theatre, English,Art, General studies, and got A* A* A A A*, I did a year on a fashion course but want to change and do something different but I don't know what I want to do but I think my subject choices might restrict me a bit. Any one have any suggestions of things I could apply for?

most universities won't accept general studies but that still leaves you with 2 A* and 2A! Pretty much any uni would be happy with those grades! Only science based courses might have subject requirements which you don't have but if you found a course you loved you can do a foundation year :smile: Also oxbridge don't look favourable on gap years but all other unis would be happy to take you with those grades! I agree that history of art might interest you. I also changed courses quite drastically and my advice would be to think about what would make you happy in the future. I wasn't enjoying my english course so I thought about what I would want in a job. This has lead me to applying to speech therapy because I love psychology, working with people and helping people. So I would say either think about what would make you happy to work as in the future and work backwards or look through art/humanities/social science courses and find something you actually would enjoy getting up at 9 after freshers week to go and study :smile:
Reply 32

I'd just say be careful. I loved Bio at Gcses, took it for A level and it's hard. DOn't underestimate it, it's a totally different thing. Pick up a Bio A2 text book as with OCR there's lots on the Brain and nerve system, you'll need all that in Psych. It all comes up. If you like looking at behaviour more than the bio behind it maybe consider sociology? I think you would get offers, those are good grades. What might be weak is your personal statement. Read around psych, work out why you wanna do it. Tbh there's such a range in unis you'll get an offer somewhere. It's just 3 years is a long time to study something you're not sure on. Talk to your teachers, look at your options. Take a gap year to help decide. THere's no rush.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending