The Student Room Group

I want to Teach.

After much debating, I've FINALLY decided that Teaching is the career for me. Why? Well, I love learning new things, I also have great people skills. People always ask for me help and the amount of praise I get for it is really good. Its a career I can see myself genuinely hating to love. Its for me.

I'm 16 now, and picking up my GCSE results on Thursday. I'm very positive that my results are good and my A-Level choices are (Unless something happens, causing change)

English Literature

History

Economics(?) (Might change)

Photography.

So after A-Levels, how do I go about doing it? I would love to go to University and read History (The subject I wish to teach in) but I'm just wondering whats the 'basic' breakdown of a route into teaching?
Many thanks.
Experience!

But I am sure Mr. Malfoy (Mr. M) will come here soon to advise you. ^^
Original post by Juichiro
Experience!

But I am sure Mr. Malfoy (Mr. M) will come here soon to advise you. ^^

I was keeping out of it. I didn't understand the "hating to love" bit.
Original post by DebkoX
After much debating, I've FINALLY decided that Teaching is the career for me. Why? Well, I love learning new things, I also have great people skills. People always ask for me help and the amount of praise I get for it is really good. Its a career I can see myself genuinely hating to love. Its for me.

I'm 16 now, and picking up my GCSE results on Thursday. I'm very positive that my results are good and my A-Level choices are (Unless something happens, causing change)

English Literature

History

Economics(?) (Might change)

Photography.

So after A-Levels, how do I go about doing it? I would love to go to University and read History (The subject I wish to teach in) but I'm just wondering whats the 'basic' breakdown of a route into teaching?
Many thanks.

If you want to teach Secondary/Sixth-Form (which I assume you do if you want to teach History), then standard procedure is to get a degree in a relevant subject first, then do a teacher training course. This could be a PGCE (in a university, with placements in local schools), Schools Direct (where you spend a year in a school as a trainee), or Teach First (an intensive summer programme, then straight into teaching).

Of course, now academies can employ anyone they want, but the above standard procedure is still your best bet. (Although I think 16 is far too young to decide to become a teacher. I recommend looking at teachers blogs or TES to get a better idea of what teaching is actually like).

Like Mr M, I'm confused as to 'hating to love'.
Reply 4
Poor wording on my part. Was meant to mean hate to love. Me trying to be clever :|
Thanks. Does it matter what the degree is in? I also like classics.
Original post by Mr M
I was keeping out of it. I didn't understand the "hating to love" bit.

I am curious, how many hours per week do you spend here? You are always and always on the Education and Teaching sub-forum.
Original post by Juichiro
I am curious, how many hours per week do you spend here? You are always and always on the Education and Teaching sub-forum.

In the holidays I have a window to TSR open most of the time. I'm usually in the Maths Forum though. It gives me an excuse not to do the work I am supposed to be doing.
Original post by Mr M
In the holidays I have a window to TSR open most of the time. I'm usually in the Maths Forum though. It gives me an excuse not to do the work I am supposed to be doing.

And there was me thinking that Mr. Magoo had a strong work ethic no matter the season of the year. :tongue:
Original post by DebkoX
Poor wording on my part. Was meant to mean hate to love. Me trying to be clever :|
Thanks. Does it matter what the degree is in? I also like classics.

Your degree needs to be at least 50% in the subject you want to teach for secondary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending